|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the surname of the famous Cuban poet?
2. Who works as a chauffeur for the corrupt policeman?
3. Which is not one of the foods the host came to love?
4. Cubans have ____ in their souls.
5. What are the names of the clones?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things Carmelita does in order to try to restore her memory?
2. What measures are taken to alter anti-social people?
3. What is the realization Carmelita has after returning to America? What does Carmelita have to say about Cuban politics?
4. What is the main topic of "Milk of Amnesia?" On what was the play based?
5. What happens after Pingalito leaves the hospital? What do the doctors recommend? What is Carmelita's idea?
6. Explain the scene in Dr. Igor's lab. What are Dr. Igor's intentions and actions?
7. What is the situation in Act II? What is Carmelita's destination? Who accompanies Carmelita? How does this scene tie together the entire story? What unusual site is seen on the journey?
8. How does the play reference milk? What is its significance?
9. Discuss the introduction of Cluna and Clana. Who are they? How are they related to Carmelita? What actions do they take to find Carmelita?
10. Discuss the initial assassination attempt on Maldito's life. What happens? Who delivers the news to Carmelita?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the prison system as portrayed in the play. In which instances were characters imprisoned? What were the circumstances? Describe the court system. Were the court system and the penal system fair? What was a common reason for arrest? What was the outcome? Which characters were arrested? What were the charges? What types of rehabilitation did the characters go through before being released? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Sor Juana: The Nightmare is a surreal piece about a 17th century Mexican nun. Examine Troyano's use of the nightmare in explaining Juana's talent, beliefs, and commitments. What is the purpose of the nightmare? How does the play fit in with Carmelita's story? Which parts, if any, of the nightmare were real? What do you think happened with Juana? What might have happened to the vicereine? Did their relationship continue? Was Juana's work ever published?
Essay Topic 3
Carmelita and others were involved in various protests including the protest in front of the abortion clinic. Examine the various protests, their purposes, and outcome. Examine Carmelita's thoughts on the protests. Explain how Carmelita compared her actions to those of Rosa Parks and the Civil Rights movement in general. What effect did Carmelita and the others have on the various causes? Explain.
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)