|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lota is a descendant of which famous woman?
2. What is the name of the other woman who was arrested in the raid?
3. Who produces the match/game?
4. What is the surname of the famous Cuban poet?
5. The women end up in the ____ Zone.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Desiree? Who is Rodesia? How do their characters affect Carmelita?
2. Discuss the play "Memories of a Revolution." Who wrote the script? Who wrote the play? In what era does the play take place? Who is the main character?
3. What is the realization Carmelita has after returning to America? What does Carmelita have to say about Cuban politics?
4. Who is Pingalito? Where else has the character appeared? When did he meet Carmelita?
5. Explain the opening of Chicas 2000. What is the setting for the first scene? Who is in attendance at the time? Who gives a monologue? What is the topic?
6. What happens to Carmelita to jog her memory? What type of things does Carmelita remember?
7. What is the new plan regarding the assassination of Maldito? Who devises the plan? Who unknowingly gets in the way?
8. Carmelita is arrested. Carmelita is taken to which facility? What types of testing must Carmelita undergo? What kind of retraining must Carmelita complete?
9. What measures are taken to alter anti-social people?
10. What is the situation in Act II? What is Carmelita's destination? Who accompanies Carmelita? How does this scene tie together the entire story? What unusual site is seen on the journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carmelita worked at the Tropicana in Havana before going to the United States. After Carmelita arrived in the United States she opened a similar nightclub, also called the Tropicana, in Manhattan. What types of nightclubs were the Tropicanas? Compare and contrast the two clubs. What were the biggest similarities? Did Carmelita operate both nightclubs? What happened to each club? Who was involved in the destruction of at least one of the clubs? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Pingalito Betancourt appears in many scenes and acts throughout various plays. Examine the character and how it changes. The introduction claims that Pingalito is a woman in drag. Is that noted for the actor and director only or is it a part of the play? Is Pingalito meant to be male or female? What is his/her role in the various stories? How is Pingalito connected to Carmelita, Maldito and the others? What are Pingalito's political views? Is Pingalito also a performer? Also examine Pingalito's physical attributes.
Essay Topic 3
The plays work together collectively to paint a picture of the characters. One of the techniques used by Troyano was foreshadowing. List at least three examples of foreshadowing and how they related to the rest of the stories. Likewise, Troyano used the technique of flashback, particularly when it involved her relationships in and with Cuba. List at least three examples of flashback and how they related to the rest of the stories.
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)