|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The tourists are in which city?
2. What item does Carmelita give to the clones?
3. Which is not one of the programs Carmelita is forced to take?
4. What is the official language of Cuba?
5. Which of the following may be able to help Carmelita's situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pingalito know Carmelita? What happens when Pingalito hears that Carmelita has amnesia? What does Pingalito do to try to rouse Carmelita? Does the plan work?
2. What are some of the things Carmelita does in order to try to restore her memory?
3. What is the realization Carmelita has after returning to America? What does Carmelita have to say about Cuban politics?
4. Discuss the initial assassination attempt on Maldito's life. What happens? Who delivers the news to Carmelita?
5. Who is Machito? What is his role in the beginning of the play? What regrets does Carmelita have regarding Machito?
6. What is the main topic of "Milk of Amnesia?" On what was the play based?
7. Describe the opening of the play and the setting used by the author. Where is the play set? Who is the narrator?
8. Explain the roles of Carmelita and Machito as revolutionaries. What are their plans?
9. Explain the scene in Dr. Igor's lab. What are Dr. Igor's intentions and actions?
10. Who is Desiree? Who is Rodesia? How do their characters affect Carmelita?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Homosexuality is a main theme throughout the book. Carmelita is a lesbian as is pointed out in several acts and scenes. Discuss Carmelita's homosexuality. In some cases the homosexuality seems to be borne out of the situation rather than conscious choice. This can be seen in Sor Juana when the vicereine insists that Juana kiss her. Carmelita also enters into several relationships based on the situation, including her relationship with Rodesia in the BMU. Discuss homosexuality as it pertains to the story and explain how it affects the characters and their actions toward each other and the other main themes in the text.
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story, essay or extended journal entries from the point of view of Carmelita covering the next 5-10 years. What direction will Carmelita's life take? How will Carmelita's political positions change? How will Carmelita's career change? Give as much detail as possible.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Carmelita Tropicana? What is her real name? What is the purpose of the book? Write a complete character description of Carmelita Tropicana as well as that of her alter-ego, Alina Troyano. Is there any difference between Troyano and Carmelita Tropicana? If so, what? Why did Troyano choose to become Carmelita Tropicana? What is the biggest impact made by Carmelita Tropicana?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)