|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which year did the host meet Carmelita?
2. What time does the policeman leave work?
3. It is said that the man would never hurt which insect?
4. The women end up in the ____ Zone.
5. What type of cookie did Proust eat to cure his amnesia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Aunt Nina? How does Carmelita describe the old woman?
2. What does Carmelita tell her audience about becoming a performance artist? When did it occur? How did it happen?
3. What happens to interrupt the tender moment between Juana and Maria Luisa? What major event occurs? Who appears on the scene?
4. How does the relationship between Maria Luisa and Juana change at this time? What promises do the women make to each other?
5. What did Carmelita learn upon this last trip home to Cuba?
6. When did the Cuban Revolution take place? What character is used to represent the evil Cuban military?
7. Carmelita is arrested. Carmelita is taken to which facility? What types of testing must Carmelita undergo? What kind of retraining must Carmelita complete?
8. Who is Dee? What is her history?
9. Carmelita mentions that food is one of her passions. What about food is important to Carmelita?
10. Discuss the initial assassination attempt on Maldito's life. What happens? Who delivers the news to Carmelita?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many political issues discussed throughout the various scenes and plays. Discuss the following topics: Expatriation, citizenship, Carmelita's return to Cuba, government interference, escape, and immigration. How does each affect the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Pingalito Betancourt appears in many scenes and acts throughout various plays. Examine the character and how it changes. The introduction claims that Pingalito is a woman in drag. Is that noted for the actor and director only or is it a part of the play? Is Pingalito meant to be male or female? What is his/her role in the various stories? How is Pingalito connected to Carmelita, Maldito and the others? What are Pingalito's political views? Is Pingalito also a performer? Also examine Pingalito's physical attributes.
Essay Topic 3
Carmelita and Sophia are sisters. Although both women came from Cuba, they could not be more different from one another. Compare and contrast the sisters. Which is the eldest? Who is the most conservative? What are the main differences between the sisters? Who is the most successful? Which sister is the most influential? Explain.
This section contains 2,309 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)