Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the mountain range described by Pingalito?
2. What is the word used to describe a mid-afternoon rest period?
3. By 9:20 AM the policeman is ready to do which of the following?
4. What type of dog used to bark at Pingalito?
5. Chicas 2000 was originally performed at which location?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Machito? What is his role in the beginning of the play? What regrets does Carmelita have regarding Machito?
2. Discuss Carmelita's monologue with the audience regarding Chicas 2000. What does Carmelita predict will happen in that year?
3. Who phones Carmelita the next morning? What is the purpose of each call?
4. What is the realization Carmelita has after returning to America? What does Carmelita have to say about Cuban politics?
5. Who is Dr. Igor? What does he do to Carmelita?
6. Discuss the play "Memories of a Revolution." Who wrote the script? Who wrote the play? In what era does the play take place? Who is the main character?
7. Discuss the initial assassination attempt on Maldito's life. What happens? Who delivers the news to Carmelita?
8. How does Pingalito know Carmelita? What happens when Pingalito hears that Carmelita has amnesia? What does Pingalito do to try to rouse Carmelita? Does the plan work?
9. Examine the scene in which Carmelita is walking home from the Tropicana.
10. Who is Desiree? Who is Rodesia? How do their characters affect Carmelita?
Carmelita and Sophia are sisters. Although both women came from Cuba, they could not be more different from one another. Compare and contrast the sisters. Which is the eldest? Who is the most conservative? What are the main differences between the sisters? Who is the most successful? Which sister is the most influential? Explain.
There are many political issues discussed throughout the various scenes and plays. Discuss the following topics: Expatriation, citizenship, Carmelita's return to Cuba, government interference, escape, and immigration. How does each affect the main characters?
In several instances, particularly in Sor Juana: The Nightmare, there are references to mysticism. One good example is the appearance of the stigmata. Explain why Troyano included the use of mysticism in the play. Was it an effective tool? How did it relate to the rest of the story? Why did the Prosecutor doubt the veracity of the stigmata? How did it relate to Carmelita? Did Sor Juana's Catholic beliefs and practices relate to Carmelita in any way? Explain.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)