|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the story take place?
2. Carmelita is also asked about which common household item?
3. Carmelita is arrested for which offense?
4. Dr. _____ is in the audience.
5. What is the name of the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is important about poetry to Carmelita?
2. What did Carmelita learn upon this last trip home to Cuba?
3. How does the play reference milk? What is its significance?
4. Carmelita is arrested. Carmelita is taken to which facility? What types of testing must Carmelita undergo? What kind of retraining must Carmelita complete?
5. Discuss Carmelita's monologue with the audience regarding Chicas 2000. What does Carmelita predict will happen in that year?
6. Who phones Carmelita the next morning? What is the purpose of each call?
7. What is the main topic of "Milk of Amnesia?" On what was the play based?
8. Who is Alba? What does she say to try to dissuade Juana from leaving the convent?
9. Describe Carmelita's return trip to Cuba.
10. Who is Aunt Nina? How does Carmelita describe the old woman?
Essay Topic 1
The plays work together collectively to paint a picture of the characters. One of the techniques used by Troyano was foreshadowing. List at least three examples of foreshadowing and how they related to the rest of the stories. Likewise, Troyano used the technique of flashback, particularly when it involved her relationships in and with Cuba. List at least three examples of flashback and how they related to the rest of the stories.
Essay Topic 2
After being arrested for participating in the protest, Carmelita, Desiree, Orchidia, Sophia and others were arrested and sent to the Behavioral Modification Unit. What is the BMU? Where is it located? What is the purpose of the unit? How does it relate to the government? What kind of activities occur at the BMU? Is it a prison? What types of crimes must one commit to be sent to the unit? What is the DNA Remodeling Action? Can someone's DNA be remodeled? If so, how? What types of programs are the inmates required to complete?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the prison system as portrayed in the play. In which instances were characters imprisoned? What were the circumstances? Describe the court system. Were the court system and the penal system fair? What was a common reason for arrest? What was the outcome? Which characters were arrested? What were the charges? What types of rehabilitation did the characters go through before being released? Explain.
This section contains 2,303 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)