|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Machito's older sister?
2. What kind of car was driven by Carmelita's grandfather?
3. It is said that the man would never hurt which insect?
4. How old was the host when s/he arrived in the US?
5. Dr. _____ is in the audience.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things Carmelita does in order to try to restore her memory?
2. How does Pingalito know Carmelita? What happens when Pingalito hears that Carmelita has amnesia? What does Pingalito do to try to rouse Carmelita? Does the plan work?
3. What measures are taken to alter anti-social people?
4. Discuss the initial assassination attempt on Maldito's life. What happens? Who delivers the news to Carmelita?
5. Who is Machito? What is his role in the beginning of the play? What regrets does Carmelita have regarding Machito?
6. Discuss the play "Memories of a Revolution." Who wrote the script? Who wrote the play? In what era does the play take place? Who is the main character?
7. How does the play reference milk? What is its significance?
8. What is the realization Carmelita has after returning to America? What does Carmelita have to say about Cuban politics?
9. Describe Carmelita's return trip to Cuba.
10. Who is Lota? What is her job? From which famous person is Lota descended?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several instances, particularly in Sor Juana: The Nightmare, there are references to mysticism. One good example is the appearance of the stigmata. Explain why Troyano included the use of mysticism in the play. Was it an effective tool? How did it relate to the rest of the story? Why did the Prosecutor doubt the veracity of the stigmata? How did it relate to Carmelita? Did Sor Juana's Catholic beliefs and practices relate to Carmelita in any way? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The Archbishop and Prosecutor were one in the same when he appeared before Juana and Maria Luisa. What is the role of an archbishop? Why is the Archbishop also a Prosecutor? What is the Inquisition? How does it affect Juana? What is the purpose of the Inquisition? Who was affected? What was the role of the Prosecutor? What was the role of the church? How long did the Inquisition last? What was the outcome? How did it affect the characters?
Essay Topic 3
When Carmelita and the others were being held in the Behavioral Modification Unit, there were several discussions about prisoners that were hardened criminals, such as Dee. What is a hardened criminal? What caused Dee to be categorized in that way? How many times had Dee been arrested? What were Dee's crimes? Why were some of the characters referred to as being "nutty" or insane? What types of behaviors were exhibited that would cause one to make such a characterization? Were any of the characters treated for mental illness?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)