|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who produces the match/game?
2. By 9:20 AM the policeman is ready to do which of the following?
3. What type of cookie did Proust eat to cure his amnesia?
4. How many days does Carmelita spend in Havana?
5. Carmelita refers to which famous composer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Pingalito? Where else has the character appeared? When did he meet Carmelita?
2. Who is Sor Juana? What is the basis of the Nightmare?
3. How do the clones meet Carmelita? What is their reaction to meeting their bio-original for the first time? Where had they met before?
4. What measures are taken to alter anti-social people?
5. When did the Cuban Revolution take place? What character is used to represent the evil Cuban military?
6. What are some of the topics discussed in the BMU by the women? What family story does Carmelita tell the others?
7. Who is Alba? What does she say to try to dissuade Juana from leaving the convent?
8. What is important about poetry to Carmelita?
9. Describe Carmelita Tropicana as a person. What was her vision?
10. Who is Arriero? What is Arriero's homeland? In which section is Arriero introduced? Why is Arriero's point of view different from the others?
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story, essay or extended journal entries from the point of view of Carmelita covering the next 5-10 years. What direction will Carmelita's life take? How will Carmelita's political positions change? How will Carmelita's career change? Give as much detail as possible.
Essay Topic 2
When Carmelita and the others were being held in the Behavioral Modification Unit, there were several discussions about prisoners that were hardened criminals, such as Dee. What is a hardened criminal? What caused Dee to be categorized in that way? How many times had Dee been arrested? What were Dee's crimes? Why were some of the characters referred to as being "nutty" or insane? What types of behaviors were exhibited that would cause one to make such a characterization? Were any of the characters treated for mental illness?
Essay Topic 3
Homosexuality is a main theme throughout the book. Carmelita is a lesbian as is pointed out in several acts and scenes. Discuss Carmelita's homosexuality. In some cases the homosexuality seems to be borne out of the situation rather than conscious choice. This can be seen in Sor Juana when the vicereine insists that Juana kiss her. Carmelita also enters into several relationships based on the situation, including her relationship with Rodesia in the BMU. Discuss homosexuality as it pertains to the story and explain how it affects the characters and their actions toward each other and the other main themes in the text.
This section contains 2,280 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)