|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the statue?
2. Cuba is often referred to as the "_____ of the Antilles."
3. What is the name of the other woman who was arrested in the raid?
4. In what year does the story take place?
5. It is often said that "_____ is stranger than fiction."
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the play "Memories of a Revolution." Who wrote the script? Who wrote the play? In what era does the play take place? Who is the main character?
2. Who is Lota? What is her job? From which famous person is Lota descended?
3. Describe Carmelita's return trip to Cuba.
4. Who is Pingalito? Where else has the character appeared? When did he meet Carmelita?
5. How do the clones meet Carmelita? What is their reaction to meeting their bio-original for the first time? Where had they met before?
6. How does Pingalito know Carmelita? What happens when Pingalito hears that Carmelita has amnesia? What does Pingalito do to try to rouse Carmelita? Does the plan work?
7. Who is Dr. Igor? What does he do to Carmelita?
8. Describe the opening of the play and the setting used by the author. Where is the play set? Who is the narrator?
9. Carmelita is arrested. Carmelita is taken to which facility? What types of testing must Carmelita undergo? What kind of retraining must Carmelita complete?
10. Why does the FBI appear during Carmelita's show? What does the lead agent say to Carmelita? What happens to Carmelita and the others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The plays work together collectively to paint a picture of the characters. One of the techniques used by Troyano was foreshadowing. List at least three examples of foreshadowing and how they related to the rest of the stories. Likewise, Troyano used the technique of flashback, particularly when it involved her relationships in and with Cuba. List at least three examples of flashback and how they related to the rest of the stories.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Maldito's regime. What about the regime was corrupt? How did it compare to Castro's regime? Did things become better or worse after the revolution? Compare and contrast the government situations before and after the 1955 revolution.
Essay Topic 3
The Dictator calls Carmelita regarding the activities in downtown Manhattan. What type of activities took place in Manhattan? Who participated? What were the consequences of the activities? Who arranged the activities? Who is the Dictator? How was s/he involved? What was the relationship between the Dictator and Carmelita? What happened to the Dictator after the raid? Did the Dictator and Carmelita have any contact after Carmelita's arrest or incarceration in BMU? Explain.
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)