|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is not one of the programs Carmelita is forced to take?
2. Carmelita refers to which famous composer?
3. Carmelita is questioned on which subject?
4. Which of the following may be able to help Carmelita's situation?
5. What is the official language of Cuba?
Short Essay Questions
1. Carmelita is arrested. Carmelita is taken to which facility? What types of testing must Carmelita undergo? What kind of retraining must Carmelita complete?
2. Describe the opening of the play and the setting used by the author. Where is the play set? Who is the narrator?
3. How does Pingalito know Carmelita? What happens when Pingalito hears that Carmelita has amnesia? What does Pingalito do to try to rouse Carmelita? Does the plan work?
4. What is the realization Carmelita has after returning to America? What does Carmelita have to say about Cuban politics?
5. What happens to Carmelita to jog her memory? What type of things does Carmelita remember?
6. When did the Cuban Revolution take place? What character is used to represent the evil Cuban military?
7. What is the new plan regarding the assassination of Maldito? Who devises the plan? Who unknowingly gets in the way?
8. What is the main topic of "Milk of Amnesia?" On what was the play based?
9. Who is Dr. Igor? What does he do to Carmelita?
10. Explain the opening of Chicas 2000. What is the setting for the first scene? Who is in attendance at the time? Who gives a monologue? What is the topic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Carmelita Tropicana? What is her real name? What is the purpose of the book? Write a complete character description of Carmelita Tropicana as well as that of her alter-ego, Alina Troyano. Is there any difference between Troyano and Carmelita Tropicana? If so, what? Why did Troyano choose to become Carmelita Tropicana? What is the biggest impact made by Carmelita Tropicana?
Essay Topic 2
Carmelita and others were involved in various protests including the protest in front of the abortion clinic. Examine the various protests, their purposes, and outcome. Examine Carmelita's thoughts on the protests. Explain how Carmelita compared her actions to those of Rosa Parks and the Civil Rights movement in general. What effect did Carmelita and the others have on the various causes? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Sor Juana: The Nightmare is a surreal piece about a 17th century Mexican nun. Examine Troyano's use of the nightmare in explaining Juana's talent, beliefs, and commitments. What is the purpose of the nightmare? How does the play fit in with Carmelita's story? Which parts, if any, of the nightmare were real? What do you think happened with Juana? What might have happened to the vicereine? Did their relationship continue? Was Juana's work ever published?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)