|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the mountain range described by Pingalito?
2. What is the word used to describe a mid-afternoon rest period?
3. By 9:20 AM the policeman is ready to do which of the following?
4. What type of dog used to bark at Pingalito?
5. Chicas 2000 was originally performed at which location?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Machito? What is his role in the beginning of the play? What regrets does Carmelita have regarding Machito?
2. Discuss Carmelita's monologue with the audience regarding Chicas 2000. What does Carmelita predict will happen in that year?
3. Who phones Carmelita the next morning? What is the purpose of each call?
4. What is the realization Carmelita has after returning to America? What does Carmelita have to say about Cuban politics?
5. Who is Dr. Igor? What does he do to Carmelita?
6. Discuss the play "Memories of a Revolution." Who wrote the script? Who wrote the play? In what era does the play take place? Who is the main character?
7. Discuss the initial assassination attempt on Maldito's life. What happens? Who delivers the news to Carmelita?
8. How does Pingalito know Carmelita? What happens when Pingalito hears that Carmelita has amnesia? What does Pingalito do to try to rouse Carmelita? Does the plan work?
9. Examine the scene in which Carmelita is walking home from the Tropicana.
10. Who is Desiree? Who is Rodesia? How do their characters affect Carmelita?
Essay Topic 1
The plays work together collectively to paint a picture of the characters. One of the techniques used by Troyano was foreshadowing. List at least three examples of foreshadowing and how they related to the rest of the stories. Likewise, Troyano used the technique of flashback, particularly when it involved her relationships in and with Cuba. List at least three examples of flashback and how they related to the rest of the stories.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the prison system as portrayed in the play. In which instances were characters imprisoned? What were the circumstances? Describe the court system. Were the court system and the penal system fair? What was a common reason for arrest? What was the outcome? Which characters were arrested? What were the charges? What types of rehabilitation did the characters go through before being released? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Maldito's regime. What about the regime was corrupt? How did it compare to Castro's regime? Did things become better or worse after the revolution? Compare and contrast the government situations before and after the 1955 revolution.
This section contains 2,333 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)