|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cubans have ____ in their souls.
2. What is the name of the castle?
3. Milk of Amnesia is based on Carmelita's trip to which location?
4. Cuba is often referred to as the "_____ of the Antilles."
5. What is the name of the facility where Carmelita is held?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pingalito know Carmelita? What happens when Pingalito hears that Carmelita has amnesia? What does Pingalito do to try to rouse Carmelita? Does the plan work?
2. What is the main topic of "Milk of Amnesia?" On what was the play based?
3. Who is Pingalito? Where else has the character appeared? When did he meet Carmelita?
4. Carmelita is arrested. Carmelita is taken to which facility? What types of testing must Carmelita undergo? What kind of retraining must Carmelita complete?
5. What happens to Carmelita to jog her memory? What type of things does Carmelita remember?
6. What is the realization Carmelita has after returning to America? What does Carmelita have to say about Cuban politics?
7. How does the play reference milk? What is its significance?
8. Describe the opening of the play and the setting used by the author. Where is the play set? Who is the narrator?
9. Discuss the initial assassination attempt on Maldito's life. What happens? Who delivers the news to Carmelita?
10. Why does the FBI appear during Carmelita's show? What does the lead agent say to Carmelita? What happens to Carmelita and the others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several instances, particularly in Sor Juana: The Nightmare, there are references to mysticism. One good example is the appearance of the stigmata. Explain why Troyano included the use of mysticism in the play. Was it an effective tool? How did it relate to the rest of the story? Why did the Prosecutor doubt the veracity of the stigmata? How did it relate to Carmelita? Did Sor Juana's Catholic beliefs and practices relate to Carmelita in any way? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the prison system as portrayed in the play. In which instances were characters imprisoned? What were the circumstances? Describe the court system. Were the court system and the penal system fair? What was a common reason for arrest? What was the outcome? Which characters were arrested? What were the charges? What types of rehabilitation did the characters go through before being released? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story, essay or extended journal entries from the point of view of Carmelita covering the next 5-10 years. What direction will Carmelita's life take? How will Carmelita's political positions change? How will Carmelita's career change? Give as much detail as possible.
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)