|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the women got dressed up to visit which factory?
2. What is the name of the facility where Carmelita is held?
3. In which year did the host meet Carmelita?
4. What type of dog used to bark at Pingalito?
5. Cubans have ____ in their souls.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Carmelita learns about the failed assassination attempt. What is Carmelita doing shortly before she is informed of the failure? Who delivers the message? What was the message given to Carmelita? What is Carmelita's response?
2. What is the new plan regarding the assassination of Maldito? Who devises the plan? Who unknowingly gets in the way?
3. Discuss Carmelita's monologue with the audience regarding Chicas 2000. What does Carmelita predict will happen in that year?
4. Describe the opening of the play and the setting used by the author. Where is the play set? Who is the narrator?
5. Explain the opening of Chicas 2000. What is the setting for the first scene? Who is in attendance at the time? Who gives a monologue? What is the topic?
6. Who is Desiree? Who is Rodesia? How do their characters affect Carmelita?
7. When did the Cuban Revolution take place? What character is used to represent the evil Cuban military?
8. What is the main topic of "Milk of Amnesia?" On what was the play based?
9. Why does the FBI appear during Carmelita's show? What does the lead agent say to Carmelita? What happens to Carmelita and the others?
10. Explain the roles of Carmelita and Machito as revolutionaries. What are their plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carmelita and others were involved in various protests including the protest in front of the abortion clinic. Examine the various protests, their purposes, and outcome. Examine Carmelita's thoughts on the protests. Explain how Carmelita compared her actions to those of Rosa Parks and the Civil Rights movement in general. What effect did Carmelita and the others have on the various causes? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Carmelita worked at the Tropicana in Havana before going to the United States. After Carmelita arrived in the United States she opened a similar nightclub, also called the Tropicana, in Manhattan. What types of nightclubs were the Tropicanas? Compare and contrast the two clubs. What were the biggest similarities? Did Carmelita operate both nightclubs? What happened to each club? Who was involved in the destruction of at least one of the clubs? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Carmelita Tropicana? What is her real name? What is the purpose of the book? Write a complete character description of Carmelita Tropicana as well as that of her alter-ego, Alina Troyano. Is there any difference between Troyano and Carmelita Tropicana? If so, what? Why did Troyano choose to become Carmelita Tropicana? What is the biggest impact made by Carmelita Tropicana?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)