Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the mountain range described by Pingalito?
2. What is the word used to describe a mid-afternoon rest period?
3. By 9:20 AM the policeman is ready to do which of the following?
4. What type of dog used to bark at Pingalito?
5. Chicas 2000 was originally performed at which location?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Machito? What is his role in the beginning of the play? What regrets does Carmelita have regarding Machito?
2. Discuss Carmelita's monologue with the audience regarding Chicas 2000. What does Carmelita predict will happen in that year?
3. Who phones Carmelita the next morning? What is the purpose of each call?
4. What is the realization Carmelita has after returning to America? What does Carmelita have to say about Cuban politics?
5. Who is Dr. Igor? What does he do to Carmelita?
6. Discuss the play "Memories of a Revolution." Who wrote the script? Who wrote the play? In what era does the play take place? Who is the main character?
7. Discuss the initial assassination attempt on Maldito's life. What happens? Who delivers the news to Carmelita?
8. How does Pingalito know Carmelita? What happens when Pingalito hears that Carmelita has amnesia? What does Pingalito do to try to rouse Carmelita? Does the plan work?
9. Examine the scene in which Carmelita is walking home from the Tropicana.
10. Who is Desiree? Who is Rodesia? How do their characters affect Carmelita?
Essay Topic 1
Pingalito Betancourt appears in many scenes and acts throughout various plays. Examine the character and how it changes. The introduction claims that Pingalito is a woman in drag. Is that noted for the actor and director only or is it a part of the play? Is Pingalito meant to be male or female? What is his/her role in the various stories? How is Pingalito connected to Carmelita, Maldito and the others? What are Pingalito's political views? Is Pingalito also a performer? Also examine Pingalito's physical attributes.
Essay Topic 2
The Dictator calls Carmelita regarding the activities in downtown Manhattan. What type of activities took place in Manhattan? Who participated? What were the consequences of the activities? Who arranged the activities? Who is the Dictator? How was s/he involved? What was the relationship between the Dictator and Carmelita? What happened to the Dictator after the raid? Did the Dictator and Carmelita have any contact after Carmelita's arrest or incarceration in BMU? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Carmelita Tropicana? What is her real name? What is the purpose of the book? Write a complete character description of Carmelita Tropicana as well as that of her alter-ego, Alina Troyano. Is there any difference between Troyano and Carmelita Tropicana? If so, what? Why did Troyano choose to become Carmelita Tropicana? What is the biggest impact made by Carmelita Tropicana?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)