Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the mountain range described by Pingalito?
2. What is the word used to describe a mid-afternoon rest period?
3. By 9:20 AM the policeman is ready to do which of the following?
4. What type of dog used to bark at Pingalito?
5. Chicas 2000 was originally performed at which location?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Machito? What is his role in the beginning of the play? What regrets does Carmelita have regarding Machito?
2. Discuss Carmelita's monologue with the audience regarding Chicas 2000. What does Carmelita predict will happen in that year?
3. Who phones Carmelita the next morning? What is the purpose of each call?
4. What is the realization Carmelita has after returning to America? What does Carmelita have to say about Cuban politics?
5. Who is Dr. Igor? What does he do to Carmelita?
6. Discuss the play "Memories of a Revolution." Who wrote the script? Who wrote the play? In what era does the play take place? Who is the main character?
7. Discuss the initial assassination attempt on Maldito's life. What happens? Who delivers the news to Carmelita?
8. How does Pingalito know Carmelita? What happens when Pingalito hears that Carmelita has amnesia? What does Pingalito do to try to rouse Carmelita? Does the plan work?
9. Examine the scene in which Carmelita is walking home from the Tropicana.
10. Who is Desiree? Who is Rodesia? How do their characters affect Carmelita?
Essay Topic 1
There are many political issues discussed throughout the various scenes and plays. Discuss the following topics: Expatriation, citizenship, Carmelita's return to Cuba, government interference, escape, and immigration. How does each affect the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Maldito's regime. What about the regime was corrupt? How did it compare to Castro's regime? Did things become better or worse after the revolution? Compare and contrast the government situations before and after the 1955 revolution.
Essay Topic 3
The Archbishop and Prosecutor were one in the same when he appeared before Juana and Maria Luisa. What is the role of an archbishop? Why is the Archbishop also a Prosecutor? What is the Inquisition? How does it affect Juana? What is the purpose of the Inquisition? Who was affected? What was the role of the Prosecutor? What was the role of the church? How long did the Inquisition last? What was the outcome? How did it affect the characters?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)