|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pingalito's last name?
2. Who works as a chauffeur for the corrupt policeman?
3. The poem mentions which animal?
4. In the end the clones must choose between ______ and family.
5. What type of dog used to bark at Pingalito?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Carmelita's monologue with the audience regarding Chicas 2000. What does Carmelita predict will happen in that year?
2. Who is Machito? What is his role in the beginning of the play? What regrets does Carmelita have regarding Machito?
3. How does Pingalito know Carmelita? What happens when Pingalito hears that Carmelita has amnesia? What does Pingalito do to try to rouse Carmelita? Does the plan work?
4. How do the clones meet Carmelita? What is their reaction to meeting their bio-original for the first time? Where had they met before?
5. What happens after Pingalito leaves the hospital? What do the doctors recommend? What is Carmelita's idea?
6. What measures are taken to alter anti-social people?
7. What is the situation in Act II? What is Carmelita's destination? Who accompanies Carmelita? How does this scene tie together the entire story? What unusual site is seen on the journey?
8. What is the DNA RA and BMU? What is its purpose?
9. What happens to Carmelita to jog her memory? What type of things does Carmelita remember?
10. Discuss the play "Memories of a Revolution." Who wrote the script? Who wrote the play? In what era does the play take place? Who is the main character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Archbishop and Prosecutor were one in the same when he appeared before Juana and Maria Luisa. What is the role of an archbishop? Why is the Archbishop also a Prosecutor? What is the Inquisition? How does it affect Juana? What is the purpose of the Inquisition? Who was affected? What was the role of the Prosecutor? What was the role of the church? How long did the Inquisition last? What was the outcome? How did it affect the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Carmelita Tropicana introduces Machito and Sophia as her siblings. What is the relationship between Carmelita Tropicana and her younger brother Machito? What is the relationship between Carmelita Tropicana and her sister Sophia? What is the relationship between Machito and Sophia?
Essay Topic 3
Homosexuality is a main theme throughout the book. Carmelita is a lesbian as is pointed out in several acts and scenes. Discuss Carmelita's homosexuality. In some cases the homosexuality seems to be borne out of the situation rather than conscious choice. This can be seen in Sor Juana when the vicereine insists that Juana kiss her. Carmelita also enters into several relationships based on the situation, including her relationship with Rodesia in the BMU. Discuss homosexuality as it pertains to the story and explain how it affects the characters and their actions toward each other and the other main themes in the text.
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)