|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The women end up in the ____ Zone.
2. In the end the clones must choose between ______ and family.
3. Carmelita is arrested for which offense?
4. The women are talking about which of the following?
5. What type of dog used to bark at Pingalito?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the clones meet Carmelita? What is their reaction to meeting their bio-original for the first time? Where had they met before?
2. Carmelita is arrested. Carmelita is taken to which facility? What types of testing must Carmelita undergo? What kind of retraining must Carmelita complete?
3. Discuss the introduction of Cluna and Clana. Who are they? How are they related to Carmelita? What actions do they take to find Carmelita?
4. What is the situation in Act II? What is Carmelita's destination? Who accompanies Carmelita? How does this scene tie together the entire story? What unusual site is seen on the journey?
5. Explain how Carmelita learns about the failed assassination attempt. What is Carmelita doing shortly before she is informed of the failure? Who delivers the message? What was the message given to Carmelita? What is Carmelita's response?
6. What are some of the things Carmelita does in order to try to restore her memory?
7. Who is Desiree? Who is Rodesia? How do their characters affect Carmelita?
8. Who is Lota? What is her job? From which famous person is Lota descended?
9. When did the Cuban Revolution take place? What character is used to represent the evil Cuban military?
10. Who is Machito? What is his role in the beginning of the play? What regrets does Carmelita have regarding Machito?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Dictator calls Carmelita regarding the activities in downtown Manhattan. What type of activities took place in Manhattan? Who participated? What were the consequences of the activities? Who arranged the activities? Who is the Dictator? How was s/he involved? What was the relationship between the Dictator and Carmelita? What happened to the Dictator after the raid? Did the Dictator and Carmelita have any contact after Carmelita's arrest or incarceration in BMU? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
In several instances, particularly in Sor Juana: The Nightmare, there are references to mysticism. One good example is the appearance of the stigmata. Explain why Troyano included the use of mysticism in the play. Was it an effective tool? How did it relate to the rest of the story? Why did the Prosecutor doubt the veracity of the stigmata? How did it relate to Carmelita? Did Sor Juana's Catholic beliefs and practices relate to Carmelita in any way? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Homosexuality is a main theme throughout the book. Carmelita is a lesbian as is pointed out in several acts and scenes. Discuss Carmelita's homosexuality. In some cases the homosexuality seems to be borne out of the situation rather than conscious choice. This can be seen in Sor Juana when the vicereine insists that Juana kiss her. Carmelita also enters into several relationships based on the situation, including her relationship with Rodesia in the BMU. Discuss homosexuality as it pertains to the story and explain how it affects the characters and their actions toward each other and the other main themes in the text.
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)