|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Carmelita shoot?
2. What is the name of the mountain range described by Pingalito?
3. The event is held at the ______ Casino.
4. The poet is compared to which American poet?
5. Who escapes with Carmelita?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation in Act II? What is Carmelita's destination? Who accompanies Carmelita? How does this scene tie together the entire story? What unusual site is seen on the journey?
2. How does the play reference milk? What is its significance?
3. Describe Carmelita's return trip to Cuba.
4. Carmelita is arrested. Carmelita is taken to which facility? What types of testing must Carmelita undergo? What kind of retraining must Carmelita complete?
5. Explain how Carmelita learns about the failed assassination attempt. What is Carmelita doing shortly before she is informed of the failure? Who delivers the message? What was the message given to Carmelita? What is Carmelita's response?
6. Discuss the play "Memories of a Revolution." Who wrote the script? Who wrote the play? In what era does the play take place? Who is the main character?
7. Discuss the initial assassination attempt on Maldito's life. What happens? Who delivers the news to Carmelita?
8. How does Pingalito know Carmelita? What happens when Pingalito hears that Carmelita has amnesia? What does Pingalito do to try to rouse Carmelita? Does the plan work?
9. What happens to Carmelita to jog her memory? What type of things does Carmelita remember?
10. What is the new plan regarding the assassination of Maldito? Who devises the plan? Who unknowingly gets in the way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The plays work together collectively to paint a picture of the characters. One of the techniques used by Troyano was foreshadowing. List at least three examples of foreshadowing and how they related to the rest of the stories. Likewise, Troyano used the technique of flashback, particularly when it involved her relationships in and with Cuba. List at least three examples of flashback and how they related to the rest of the stories.
Essay Topic 2
There are many political issues discussed throughout the various scenes and plays. Discuss the following topics: Expatriation, citizenship, Carmelita's return to Cuba, government interference, escape, and immigration. How does each affect the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story, essay or extended journal entries from the point of view of Carmelita covering the next 5-10 years. What direction will Carmelita's life take? How will Carmelita's political positions change? How will Carmelita's career change? Give as much detail as possible.
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)