|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Machito gives the tourists two tickets to which nightclub?
2. What time is the boss picked up in the morning?
3. How old was the host when s/he arrived in the US?
4. What does the doctor create in his lab?
5. What is the name of the bus that guides people throughout Havana?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main topic of "Milk of Amnesia?" On what was the play based?
2. What is the realization Carmelita has after returning to America? What does Carmelita have to say about Cuban politics?
3. Who is Desiree? Who is Rodesia? How do their characters affect Carmelita?
4. Discuss Carmelita's monologue with the audience regarding Chicas 2000. What does Carmelita predict will happen in that year?
5. Explain the roles of Carmelita and Machito as revolutionaries. What are their plans?
6. Describe Carmelita's return trip to Cuba.
7. Who is Machito? What is his role in the beginning of the play? What regrets does Carmelita have regarding Machito?
8. Who is Lota? What is her job? From which famous person is Lota descended?
9. What is the DNA RA and BMU? What is its purpose?
10. How does Pingalito know Carmelita? What happens when Pingalito hears that Carmelita has amnesia? What does Pingalito do to try to rouse Carmelita? Does the plan work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several instances, particularly in Sor Juana: The Nightmare, there are references to mysticism. One good example is the appearance of the stigmata. Explain why Troyano included the use of mysticism in the play. Was it an effective tool? How did it relate to the rest of the story? Why did the Prosecutor doubt the veracity of the stigmata? How did it relate to Carmelita? Did Sor Juana's Catholic beliefs and practices relate to Carmelita in any way? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the play, Carmelita and Machito among others were involved in an assassination attempt of the corrupt Maldito. Discuss the initial assassination attempt. How did it come about? Who was in charge of the attempt? Who was assigned to complete the task? What happened? How and why did the assassination attempt fail? What was the next step? What was the name of the operation? Was the second attempt successful? Who was involved in the plan? What happened to Maldito? What event occurred that finally forced Maldito to be removed from office? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Carmelita Tropicana introduces Machito and Sophia as her siblings. What is the relationship between Carmelita Tropicana and her younger brother Machito? What is the relationship between Carmelita Tropicana and her sister Sophia? What is the relationship between Machito and Sophia?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)