|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is said that the man would never hurt which insect?
2. Who works as a chauffeur for the corrupt policeman?
3. What is the name of the hotel where Carmelita stays while she is in Havana?
4. The event is held at the ______ Casino.
5. Who plays the host in this part of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Carmelita's return trip to Cuba.
2. Explain the roles of Carmelita and Machito as revolutionaries. What are their plans?
3. What happens after Pingalito leaves the hospital? What do the doctors recommend? What is Carmelita's idea?
4. Discuss Carmelita's monologue with the audience regarding Chicas 2000. What does Carmelita predict will happen in that year?
5. What are some of the things Carmelita does in order to try to restore her memory?
6. What is the new plan regarding the assassination of Maldito? Who devises the plan? Who unknowingly gets in the way?
7. Describe the opening of the play and the setting used by the author. Where is the play set? Who is the narrator?
8. What measures are taken to alter anti-social people?
9. Discuss the introduction of Cluna and Clana. Who are they? How are they related to Carmelita? What actions do they take to find Carmelita?
10. What is the DNA RA and BMU? What is its purpose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carmelita Tropicana introduces Machito and Sophia as her siblings. What is the relationship between Carmelita Tropicana and her younger brother Machito? What is the relationship between Carmelita Tropicana and her sister Sophia? What is the relationship between Machito and Sophia?
Essay Topic 2
The plays work together collectively to paint a picture of the characters. One of the techniques used by Troyano was foreshadowing. List at least three examples of foreshadowing and how they related to the rest of the stories. Likewise, Troyano used the technique of flashback, particularly when it involved her relationships in and with Cuba. List at least three examples of flashback and how they related to the rest of the stories.
Essay Topic 3
Carmelita and others were involved in various protests including the protest in front of the abortion clinic. Examine the various protests, their purposes, and outcome. Examine Carmelita's thoughts on the protests. Explain how Carmelita compared her actions to those of Rosa Parks and the Civil Rights movement in general. What effect did Carmelita and the others have on the various causes? Explain.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)