|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Casa Marina?
2. Which is not one of the foods the host came to love?
3. What does the doctor steal from Carmelita?
4. Who plays the host in this part of the play?
5. Carmelita flies into which major U.S. city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the play "Memories of a Revolution." Who wrote the script? Who wrote the play? In what era does the play take place? Who is the main character?
2. Why does the FBI appear during Carmelita's show? What does the lead agent say to Carmelita? What happens to Carmelita and the others?
3. Who is Desiree? Who is Rodesia? How do their characters affect Carmelita?
4. What is the realization Carmelita has after returning to America? What does Carmelita have to say about Cuban politics?
5. What are some of the things Carmelita does in order to try to restore her memory?
6. What is the DNA RA and BMU? What is its purpose?
7. Explain the opening of Chicas 2000. What is the setting for the first scene? Who is in attendance at the time? Who gives a monologue? What is the topic?
8. What is the new plan regarding the assassination of Maldito? Who devises the plan? Who unknowingly gets in the way?
9. Who is Dr. Igor? What does he do to Carmelita?
10. Who is Pingalito? Where else has the character appeared? When did he meet Carmelita?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several instances, particularly in Sor Juana: The Nightmare, there are references to mysticism. One good example is the appearance of the stigmata. Explain why Troyano included the use of mysticism in the play. Was it an effective tool? How did it relate to the rest of the story? Why did the Prosecutor doubt the veracity of the stigmata? How did it relate to Carmelita? Did Sor Juana's Catholic beliefs and practices relate to Carmelita in any way? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Carmelita and others were involved in various protests including the protest in front of the abortion clinic. Examine the various protests, their purposes, and outcome. Examine Carmelita's thoughts on the protests. Explain how Carmelita compared her actions to those of Rosa Parks and the Civil Rights movement in general. What effect did Carmelita and the others have on the various causes? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The Dictator calls Carmelita regarding the activities in downtown Manhattan. What type of activities took place in Manhattan? Who participated? What were the consequences of the activities? Who arranged the activities? Who is the Dictator? How was s/he involved? What was the relationship between the Dictator and Carmelita? What happened to the Dictator after the raid? Did the Dictator and Carmelita have any contact after Carmelita's arrest or incarceration in BMU? Explain.
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)