|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John tell Sarah?
2. What does a hall monitor tell John in Home Economics class?
3. What does a man do who comes up behind Sam?
4. What does Mr. Harris ask John?
5. What does Sam do when he gets to the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does John send Six and where does Six tell John to go?
2. What does Mark show John?
3. What do Sarah, John and Henri do during the Christmas break?
4. What happens to John in the woods before his friends arrive?
5. What happens after John is called out of Home Economics class?
6. How do Sarah and John meet up with the rest of the party goers?
7. What follow-up does Henri mention to John when he picks John up after the first day back to school?
8. What do Henri and John learn from the man who they tie to the chair?
9. What do the Mogadarians do to secure the school, what does Six do and what does she think about the scouts?
10. What do John and Sarah do after he rescues her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in I Am Number Four. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Lore chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Lore chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Lore's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Lore use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think I Am Number Four is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in I Am Number Four. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in I Am Number Four. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in I Am Number Four. Consider the death of Lorien as a type of death and possibly John having to keep moving as small deaths in his life.
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)