|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is number 7?
2. What is Henri's assessment of John's first day training in this way?
3. What is one document Henri makes for John?
4. For how long has this Garde's Cêpan been dead?
5. What does Mark show John?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when John runs back to the school to find Sarah?
2. What do Henri and John learn from the man who they tie to the chair?
3. How do John's friends help him?
4. What emergency occurs at Mark's party?
5. How do Sarah and John meet up with the rest of the party goers?
6. What do the Mogadarians do to secure the school, what does Six do and what does she think about the scouts?
7. How does Sam get Henri, Sam and himself out of the house when someone else arrives?
8. What happens after John is called out of Home Economics class?
9. What story does Henri tell John about a girl in Argentina?
10. What do John and Sarah do after he rescues her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
I Am Number Four belongs to the science fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the science fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss I Am Number Four based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if I Am Number Four is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider I Am Number Four a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Pittacus Lore.
2. What in Lore's background may have helped him in writing I Am Number Four? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)