|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Sarah been helping to build a shelter?
2. What does Sam do when he gets to the woods?
3. What does John realize he cannot do?
4. What does John instinctively do that he should not have done?
5. What does John do in response to what happens to Sam?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does John go after jumping out of Mr. Harris' office, and who does Johns encounter there?
2. How does Sam react to seeing John use his Legacy?
3. What do the Mogadarians do to secure the school, what does Six do and what does she think about the scouts?
4. What does Six explain to John about why and how she is there?
5. Describe John's rescue of Sarah.
6. Why does Henri not think the beings John sees in his vision survived?
7. How is John forced to reveal his Legacy to Sam?
8. How do John's friends help him?
9. What follow-up does Henri mention to John when he picks John up after the first day back to school?
10. How do Henri, John and Number Six get out of the school building and where do they go and who attacks them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
I Am Number Four belongs to the science fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the science fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes I Am Number Four interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze John. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Sarah. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Henri. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)