|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Henri hide the chest?
2. What is one document Henri makes for John?
3. What does the Garde ask John?
4. What does Henri suggest Sarah and Mark do?
5. Who does John call to distract him from grief?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Henri, John and Number Six get out of the school building and where do they go and who attacks them?
2. What do Sarah, John and Henri do during the Christmas break?
3. What happens when John runs back to the school to find Sarah?
4. What does Six explain to John about why and how she is there?
5. What do the Mogadarians do to secure the school, what does Six do and what does she think about the scouts?
6. How does Sam get Henri, Sam and himself out of the house when someone else arrives?
7. How do Sarah and John meet up with the rest of the party goers?
8. What happens after John is called out of Home Economics class?
9. What does Six first believe about their situation at the school, what does she realize, what happens when she kills a scout and who arrives when she and John are talking?
10. What vision of the Chimera does John have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes I Am Number Four interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze John. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Sarah. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Henri. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
I Am Number Four belongs to the science fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the science fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of I Am Number Four, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in I Am Number Four. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)