|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the female Garde kills a Mogadorian scout?
2. What does John tell Sarah he needs to do?
3. What is one thing John learns how to withstand?
4. Where does Sam go for Christmas break?
5. What does John see in the parking lot?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sam react to seeing John use his Legacy?
2. Where does John send Six and where does Six tell John to go?
3. What vision of the Chimera does John have?
4. What does Mark show John?
5. Why does Henri not think the beings John sees in his vision survived?
6. What do Henri and John learn from the man who they tie to the chair?
7. What does Six first believe about their situation at the school, what does she realize, what happens when she kills a scout and who arrives when she and John are talking?
8. What emergency occurs at Mark's party?
9. What happens when John runs back to the school to find Sarah?
10. What do John and Sarah do after he rescues her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think I Am Number Four is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think I Am Number Four is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of I Am Number Four, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in I Am Number Four. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)