|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John say he has to do before leaving?
2. What happens as John is running away from a beast?
3. For what does John use his outstretched arm?
4. Why is Henri angry?
5. What tells John that the female garde is still alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sam get Henri, Sam and himself out of the house when someone else arrives?
2. What happens to John in the woods before his friends arrive?
3. What do John and Sarah do after he rescues her?
4. What does Six explain to John about why and how she is there?
5. What do the Mogadarians do to secure the school, what does Six do and what does she think about the scouts?
6. What does John learn with the aid of fire and how does he learn a painful lesson?
7. How does Sam react to seeing John use his Legacy?
8. What emergency occurs at Mark's party?
9. Why does Henri not think the beings John sees in his vision survived?
10. How do Henri, John and Number Six get out of the school building and where do they go and who attacks them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in I Am Number Four.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of I Am Number Four. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of I Am Number Four. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
He calls Sam and tells him that something is wrong and he needs his help. Sam says he'll be right there. Sam arrives twenty-five minutes later, streaked with sweat. John tells Sam that he thinks Henri has been captured. Sam grins at first, but the look on John's face changes his demeanor quickly. John explains that Henri tracked the writer of one of the articles in "They Walk Among Us" and drove there earlier that day. John is convinced that something bad has happened, but Sam doesn't understand. John tells him that Henri loves the alien and conspiracy theories just like Sam does, and John believes the people he went to see are holding him hostage. It is the only thing that explains his lack of contact all day. John tells Sam he needs to get to Athens. Sam immediately offers his father's truck, still parked in the garage where it has sat since his father's disappearance eight years earlier. Neither has a license but Sam points out that if Henri is really in trouble, it doesn't matter. Five minutes later, John is ready to go.
1. Discuss what you think is the foundation of a friendship between John and Sam based on Sam's response to John's call. Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think it is wise of John and Sam to drive to Athens in search of Henri? Why or why not? Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
3. Do you think it is morally wrong of John to involve Sam, a human from Earth, into his alien difficulties? Why or why not? Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of I Am Number Four and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why I Am Number Four is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,385 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)