|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does John think Sarah is at the back of the house?
2. What does John tell Sarah?
3. What does John find that gives them more information about what the Mogadarians know?
4. Where does Sam go for Christmas break?
5. What happens sometime near midnight at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sam get Henri, Sam and himself out of the house when someone else arrives?
2. What does John do without thinking when he is in Mr. Harris' office?
3. How do John's friends help him?
4. What happens after John is called out of Home Economics class?
5. How is John forced to reveal his Legacy to Sam?
6. Describe John's rescue of Sarah.
7. What vision of the Chimera does John have?
8. What does Six ask John about Henri and what does she say about her Cepan?
9. What does Six explain to John about why and how she is there?
10. How does Sam react to seeing John use his Legacy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as I Am Number Four help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading I Am Number Four? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in I Am Number Four to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think I Am Number Four is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think I Am Number Four is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)