|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mark ask John?
2. What is one thing John learns how to withstand?
3. What is one of the Garde's legacies who is with John and Sarah?
4. What does John tell the dogs to do?
5. What does John tell Sarah when he finds her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Mogadarians do to secure the school, what does Six do and what does she think about the scouts?
2. Where does John send Six and where does Six tell John to go?
3. Describe John's rescue of Sarah.
4. What emergency occurs at Mark's party?
5. How do Sarah and John meet up with the rest of the party goers?
6. How does Sam get Henri, Sam and himself out of the house when someone else arrives?
7. What does John learn with the aid of fire and how does he learn a painful lesson?
8. How is John forced to reveal his Legacy to Sam?
9. What happens when John runs back to the school to find Sarah?
10. Why does Henri not think the beings John sees in his vision survived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by I Am Number Four. Questions that Lore most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Lore' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Lore' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Lore and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss I Am Number Four based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if I Am Number Four is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider I Am Number Four a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of I Am Number Four and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why I Am Number Four is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)