|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main purpose of the scouts?
2. What does the female Garde tell John to do?
3. Where does Henri hide the chest?
4. How many Mogadorian scouts altogether does the female garde find?
5. What helps John kill the soldier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mark show John?
2. What do Sarah, John and Henri do during the Christmas break?
3. What does Six explain to John about why and how she is there?
4. How does Sam react to seeing John use his Legacy?
5. What does John see Henri doing a couple days later after the flame training session?
6. Why does Henri not think the beings John sees in his vision survived?
7. What does Six ask John about Henri and what does she say about her Cepan?
8. Describe John's rescue of Sarah.
9. What happens after John is called out of Home Economics class?
10. What does John learn with the aid of fire and how does he learn a painful lesson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of John and Mark. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of John and Henri. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in I Am Number Four help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in I Am Number Four.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of I Am Number Four. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of I Am Number Four. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)