|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does John jump to the second story of the house?
2. What does the Garde ask John?
3. What is Henri's assessment of John's first day training in this way?
4. What does this Garde tell John?
5. Who are Dozer and Abby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Mogadarians do to secure the school, what does Six do and what does she think about the scouts?
2. Where does John send Six and where does Six tell John to go?
3. What do John and Sarah do after he rescues her?
4. What follow-up does Henri mention to John when he picks John up after the first day back to school?
5. How does Sam get Henri, Sam and himself out of the house when someone else arrives?
6. How does Sam react to seeing John use his Legacy?
7. What do Sarah, John and Henri do during the Christmas break?
8. What happens when John runs back to the school to find Sarah?
9. Where does John go after jumping out of Mr. Harris' office, and who does Johns encounter there?
10. What happens to John in the woods before his friends arrive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in I Am Number Four. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Lore chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Lore chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Lore's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Lore use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes I Am Number Four interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze John. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Sarah. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Henri. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of I Am Number Four and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why I Am Number Four is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)