|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is number 7?
2. How does the girl save the person in Argentina?
3. Where does Henri hide the chest?
4. What helps John kill the soldier?
5. What happens as John is running away from a beast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Mogadarians do to secure the school, what does Six do and what does she think about the scouts?
2. How do Sarah and John meet up with the rest of the party goers?
3. What does John do without thinking when he is in Mr. Harris' office?
4. What follow-up does Henri mention to John when he picks John up after the first day back to school?
5. What happens after John is called out of Home Economics class?
6. What vision of the Chimera does John have?
7. Where does John go after jumping out of Mr. Harris' office, and who does Johns encounter there?
8. What do John and Sarah do after he rescues her?
9. What does Six first believe about their situation at the school, what does she realize, what happens when she kills a scout and who arrives when she and John are talking?
10. How does Sam react to seeing John use his Legacy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes I Am Number Four interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze John. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Sarah. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Henri. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think I Am Number Four is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in I Am Number Four. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in I Am Number Four. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in I Am Number Four. Consider the death of Lorien as a type of death and possibly John having to keep moving as small deaths in his life.
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)