|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two sounds are heard by John and the others?
2. What is the main purpose of the scouts?
3. Why is Henri angry?
4. What do John and Sarah agree upon?
5. What does John find that gives them more information about what the Mogadarians know?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Six first believe about their situation at the school, what does she realize, what happens when she kills a scout and who arrives when she and John are talking?
2. Where does John go after jumping out of Mr. Harris' office, and who does Johns encounter there?
3. What happens after John is called out of Home Economics class?
4. How do Henri, John and Number Six get out of the school building and where do they go and who attacks them?
5. What emergency occurs at Mark's party?
6. What does Six explain to John about why and how she is there?
7. What story does Henri tell John about a girl in Argentina?
8. What happens to John in the woods before his friends arrive?
9. What do Sarah, John and Henri do during the Christmas break?
10. What does Six ask John about Henri and what does she say about her Cepan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
I Am Number Four belongs to the science fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the science fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 3
John is a spectator at the last battle on Lorien. He sees the Mogadore land and hears Henri tell him that carelessness is the reason they were defeated. Though as many Mogadorians are being killed as Loric, the Loriens do not have the numbers necessary to defeat them. A scratching at the door interrupts them, and on the other side is the same beagle that John had seen at school the previous day. Henri reaches down to pet him, and wagging his tail, he pushes past him and into the house. His collar identifies him as Bernie Kosar. Henri tells John that the Mogadorians are on Earth as well but they are different. They tend to be gregarious and though they have certain powers, they stand out in small towns but thrive in cities where they can be anonymous. Henri believes they are seeking to take Earth as their new home.
1. Putting yourself in John's place and pretending you are watching the same situation happening to Earth, describe how you feel and think at the moment. Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss ways in which what is known of the carelessness that lost Lorein to the Mogadore, is the same type of carelessness that could occur on Earth because of how human societies interact in the present day. what is known of
3. The Mogadorians came to Lorien because they destroyed their own planet. Discuss ways in which the Mogadorians' behavior and consequences could occur on earth and what symptoms are already seen on Earth. Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
4. Discuss, in depth, what you believe needs to happen on Earth to avoid the same fate as the Mogadorians. Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)