|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ulrike Liptsch?
2. Who is Josef R'diger?
3. To whom does Alfred write a letter in the scene, "A Letter from Prison"?
4. Who did Charlotte claim to be in order to visit Alfred in prison?
5. What does Alfred tell Charlotte to tell the Stasi when they come for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author plant a seed of doubt in the reader's mind about whether or not Charlotte was an informant?
2. What diagnosis does a psychiatrist determine for Charlotte's condition?
3. What does Charlotte recall about her first meeting with Alfred?
4. What does Charlotte tell Doug about Alfred and her Stasi files?
5. How does Charlotte compare herself to the miniature furniture which is broken or flawed in some way?
6. What does Charlotte do with all the letters Alfred wrote to her?
7. How does Act 2 begin?
8. What does Alfred tell Charlotte in a letter?
9. Who does Alfred learn has a big interest in German clocks?
10. How does Charlotte inform on Alfred regarding the black market clocks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two examples in the play making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
Wright is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the taboo of transvestism in the early-20th century. Compare and contrast transvestism in the early-20th century to transvestism in the 21st century. What major changes have occurred, both positive and negative?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)