|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Ziggy Fluss call Charlotte?
2. What item does Alfred collect that Charlotte does not?
3. Why does Doug return to Mahlsdorf?
4. According to Charlotte, all Alfred had left were _______________.
5. What does Alfred say he will do when he is released?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ziggy Fluss and what name does he call Charlotte?
2. How does Charlotte inform on Alfred regarding the black market clocks?
3. What does Charlotte do with all the letters Alfred wrote to her?
4. What diagnosis does a psychiatrist determine for Charlotte's condition?
5. What is the disposition of Alfred's possessions as stated in his will?
6. What does Charlotte tell Doug about Alfred and her Stasi files?
7. What question does the German news anchor pose in the scene called "The Cross?"
8. How does Charlotte evade Ziggy's questions about moving in order to save her reputation?
9. What business proposition does Alfred have for Charlotte?
10. Who does Alfred learn has a big interest in German clocks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The phonograph and records are very prominent elements in Charlotte's life and almost seem to become characters of their own. How does the author use them in his staging? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Aunt Luise. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Aunt Luise?
Essay Topic 3
Wright is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)