|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accosts Charlotte as she leaves the TV studio?
2. What document does Alfred complete?
3. To what country does Charlotte say she is moving?
4. Why does Doug return to Mahlsdorf?
5. Who provided most of the incriminating evidence against Alfred Kirscher to the Stasi organization?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlotte evade Ziggy's questions about moving in order to save her reputation?
2. What diagnosis does a psychiatrist determine for Charlotte's condition?
3. How successful is Alfred and Charlotte's clock business?
4. What does Charlotte do with all the letters Alfred wrote to her?
5. What are "The Three M's" in Charlotte's life?
6. What business proposition does Alfred have for Charlotte?
7. What does the Stasi agent reveal about Charlotte's performance regarding informing on Alfred?
8. Who is BLANK in the scene called "Erasure?"
9. How are John and Doug at odds about what to write regarding Charlotte's story?
10. What does Charlotte tell Doug about Alfred and her Stasi files?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wright is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the taboo of transvestism in the early-20th century. Compare and contrast transvestism in the early-20th century to transvestism in the 21st century. What major changes have occurred, both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of irony in the play. One example is the huge irony that Charlotte feels like a female but was born a male. Cite at least three other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)