|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Charlotte claim to be in order to visit Alfred in prison?
2. What diagnosis does Dieter Jorgensen make about Charlotte?
3. Where did Charlotte take Alfred after he was released from prison?
4. Charlotte's mother told him that as a man he needed to ____________.
5. What gives Dieter Jorgensen clues about Charlotte's illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor does Doug use when trying to decide what to write about Charlotte?
2. Who is BLANK in the scene called "Erasure?"
3. What does Doug share with the audience about how Charlotte died?
4. What are two opposing views regarding Charlotte's losing the Medal of Honor?
5. What is the opinion of Josef R'diger regarding Charlotte's guilt as an informant?
6. How does Charlotte evade Ziggy's questions about moving in order to save her reputation?
7. What news does Charlotte share on Ziggy's show?
8. What does the Stasi agent reveal about Charlotte's performance regarding informing on Alfred?
9. Who is Ziggy Fluss and what name does he call Charlotte?
10. What does Charlotte recall about her first meeting with Alfred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of Charlotte's phonograph and records. What do they signify? What role do they play in the drama? Why did the author choose to focus on these elements as a major element of symbolism?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of irony in the play. One example is the huge irony that Charlotte feels like a female but was born a male. Cite at least three other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two examples in the play making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)