|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Doug tells John that they shouldn't rely on __________________.
2. What is critical for Doug to believe in order to write Charlotte's story?
3. What name does Ziggy Fluss call Charlotte?
4. A Stasi agent contends that "Park" has not given them anything substantial for __________________.
5. Alfred learns that clocks are a hot commodity to ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charlotte recall about her first meeting with Alfred?
2. What metaphor does Doug use when trying to decide what to write about Charlotte?
3. What are two opposing views regarding Charlotte's losing the Medal of Honor?
4. What question does the German news anchor pose in the scene called "The Cross?"
5. What are "The Three M's" in Charlotte's life?
6. What is the disposition of Alfred's possessions as stated in his will?
7. What business proposition does Alfred have for Charlotte?
8. What does Charlotte do with all the letters Alfred wrote to her?
9. What does Alfred tell Charlotte in a letter?
10. How does Act 2 begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the taboo of transvestism in the early-20th century. Compare and contrast transvestism in the early-20th century to transvestism in the 21st century. What major changes have occurred, both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of irony in the play. One example is the huge irony that Charlotte feels like a female but was born a male. Cite at least three other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of Charlotte's phonograph and records. What do they signify? What role do they play in the drama? Why did the author choose to focus on these elements as a major element of symbolism?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)