|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Doug plan to sleep while in Germany?
2. What did Charlotte's aunt raise?
3. At what time of year does Charlotte tell Doug to come to Germany?
4. Doug is impressed by Charlotte's ______________________________.
5. Which of the following does Charlotte's father not threaten to shoot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What poster does Charlotte point out to the audience?
2. What is the scene entitled "Translating Tante Luise" about?
3. Why does Charlotte bring a phonograph onto the stage?
4. What does Charlotte tell Doug about her childhood?
5. Why did Charlotte recreate the tavern after the fall of The Berlin Wall?
6. What does Charlotte discover about dressing in women's clothing and how does Tante Luise react?
7. How does John approach Doug with Charlotte's story?
8. What circumstances cause Charlotte to return to her father's home?
9. How is Charlotte's gender questioned during the war in the scene entitled "Are You a Boy or a Girl"?
10. What does the author, Doug Wright, explore in the first five sections of I AM MY OWN WIFE?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of hypocrisy in the play. How is it evidenced? Who are the main abusers? Cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Wright is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the play. Identify at least two themes in the play. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)