|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of building to Doug and John visit?
2. Who is Minna Mahlich?
3. In the scene "I, Lothar Berfelde" Charlotte talks about being manipulated by what organization?
4. In what city does Charlotte live?
5. At what time of year does Charlotte tell Doug to come to Germany?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Charlotte described?
2. How does John approach Doug with Charlotte's story?
3. What information does Charlotte share about the phonograph and her record collection?
4. Who is John Marks and what is his relevance to the story?
5. What poster does Charlotte point out to the audience?
6. What is the scene entitled "Translating Tante Luise" about?
7. What is Charlotte's punishment for killing her father?
8. Why does Charlotte bring a phonograph onto the stage?
9. What does Charlotte discover about dressing in women's clothing and how does Tante Luise react?
10. What circumstances cause Charlotte to return to her father's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
I AM MY OWN WIFE is a classic story of betrayal and survival. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Wright use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Charlotte. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Charlotte?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)