|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many years did Charlotte operate the tavern under the nose of the Communists?
2. What is a recurring theme in Act 1?
3. Which of the following does not characterize Charlotte's appearance during the war?
4. Who shut down the tavern?
5. How does Charlotte end the museum tour?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the opinion of Josef R'diger regarding Charlotte's guilt as an informant?
2. How successful is Alfred and Charlotte's clock business?
3. How does the play begin?
4. What does Doug share with the audience about how Charlotte died?
5. What does Charlotte do with all the letters Alfred wrote to her?
6. How does Charlotte come to kill her father?
7. Who accosts Charlotte as she attempts to return to her limo after appearing on Ziggy's show?
8. How does Charlotte explain the museum in "Das Gr'nderzeit Museum?"
9. Who is John Marks and what is his relevance to the story?
10. What does Charlotte discover about dressing in women's clothing and how does Tante Luise react?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Alfred. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Michael?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of transvestites in the early-20th century. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that transvestites of the 21st century do not?
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)