|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Doug?
2. Why does Doug not take Charlotte's picture?
3. The book, DIE TRANSVESTITEN, discusses the balance of _________________________.
4. Where does Doug plan to sleep while in Germany?
5. While at her aunt's home, Charlotte learns the joys of ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Charlotte recreate the tavern after the fall of The Berlin Wall?
2. How is Charlotte spared being recruited into the SS army?
3. How does Charlotte explain the museum in "Das Gr'nderzeit Museum?"
4. What does the author, Doug Wright, explore in the first five sections of I AM MY OWN WIFE?
5. Why does Charlotte bring a phonograph onto the stage?
6. What does Charlotte discover about dressing in women's clothing and how does Tante Luise react?
7. What poster does Charlotte point out to the audience?
8. What is Charlotte's punishment for killing her father?
9. How does John approach Doug with Charlotte's story?
10. Why is John hesitant to interview Charlotte himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
I AM MY OWN WIFE is a classic story of betrayal and survival. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The role of paternal influence is a strong one on Charlotte--but not in a positive way. Describe Charlotte's negative paternal influence and how she overcame it. Where did Charlotte's strongest identity role model come from? Was that surprising given her circumstances? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)