|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What precious stone is in the phonograph needle?
2. During the war, Charlotte refused to wear _______________.
3. Who invented the phonograph?
4. While at her aunt's home, Charlotte learns the joys of ______________________.
5. What did Charlotte's aunt never wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Charlotte described?
2. Why did Charlotte recreate the tavern after the fall of The Berlin Wall?
3. What does the author, Doug Wright, explore in the first five sections of I AM MY OWN WIFE?
4. Why does Charlotte bring a phonograph onto the stage?
5. What is the scene entitled "Translating Tante Luise" about?
6. What does Charlotte recall about playing records during World War II?
7. How does Doug come to meet Charlotte?
8. How does Charlotte come to kill her father?
9. How is Charlotte spared being recruited into the SS army?
10. What circumstances cause Charlotte to return to her father's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of paternal influence is a strong one on Charlotte--but not in a positive way. Describe Charlotte's negative paternal influence and how she overcame it. Where did Charlotte's strongest identity role model come from? Was that surprising given her circumstances? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
I AM MY OWN WIFE is a classic story of betrayal and survival. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Charlotte. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Charlotte?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)