|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Doug is impressed by Charlotte's ______________________________.
2. What is Charlotte's given name?
3. What does Charlotte say she prefers to the radio?
4. How does Charlotte end the museum tour?
5. What does Charlotte discuss in the last scene called "Horns"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is John hesitant to interview Charlotte himself?
2. How is Charlotte described?
3. Why did Charlotte recreate the tavern after the fall of The Berlin Wall?
4. What circumstances cause Charlotte to return to her father's home?
5. What is contained in the velvet jewelry box Charlotte places on a table?
6. Who is John Marks and what is his relevance to the story?
7. Who is Doug and what lengths has he gone to to interview Charlotte?
8. How does Doug come to meet Charlotte?
9. What role does the book, DIE TRANSVESTITEN, play in Charlotte's life?
10. How does Charlotte come to kill her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two examples in the play making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
The phonograph and records are very prominent elements in Charlotte's life and almost seem to become characters of their own. How does the author use them in his staging? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Much of Charlotte's story takes place as Germany and the world are experiencing the atrocities inflicted by Hitler and the Nazi party. Explain the significance of these political and cultural events on Charlotte. How would Charlotte's life be different today? Explain.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)