|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many years did Charlotte operate the tavern under the nose of the Communists?
2. Who was Charlotte's aunt?
3. I AM MY OWN WIFE is the story of whom?
4. What does Doug mistakenly tell his German class that he is wearing?
5. Who accompanies Doug to the interview to translate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What nuances does Charlotte relate to listening to different types of music on the phonograph?
2. What is the scene entitled "Translating Tante Luise" about?
3. How is Charlotte described?
4. How does Doug come to meet Charlotte?
5. How did Tante Luise scare Charlotte's father into leaving his family alone while at her home?
6. Who is Doug and what lengths has he gone to to interview Charlotte?
7. How does the play begin?
8. How is Charlotte spared being recruited into the SS army?
9. What information does Charlotte share about the phonograph and her record collection?
10. How does John approach Doug with Charlotte's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The phonograph and records are very prominent elements in Charlotte's life and almost seem to become characters of their own. How does the author use them in his staging? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of transvestites in the early-20th century. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that transvestites of the 21st century do not?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)