|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following disappeared from gay society after the crumble of the Berlin wall?
2. For what publication does John Marks write?
3. Who is Doug?
4. In "Auf Deutsch" Doug is panicked about _____________________.
5. What did Charlotte's aunt never wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Doug gain Charlotte's approval to write her story?
2. Why does Charlotte bring a phonograph onto the stage?
3. What circumstances cause Charlotte to return to her father's home?
4. How does Charlotte come to kill her father?
5. What information does Charlotte share about the phonograph and her record collection?
6. How does John approach Doug with Charlotte's story?
7. What does Charlotte recall about playing records during World War II?
8. What was the Mulack-Ritze?
9. How is Charlotte's gender questioned during the war in the scene entitled "Are You a Boy or a Girl"?
10. How does Charlotte explain the museum in "Das Gr'nderzeit Museum?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the play's title--I AM MY OWN WIFE. Why did Wright choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Or is the author just having fun with the reader?
Essay Topic 2
The role of paternal influence is a strong one on Charlotte--but not in a positive way. Describe Charlotte's negative paternal influence and how she overcame it. Where did Charlotte's strongest identity role model come from? Was that surprising given her circumstances? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is your perspective on the way Dough Wright ends the play. Does he project a note of hope or the continuance of human beings struggling with the human condition? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)