|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many years did Charlotte operate the tavern under the nose of the Communists?
2. What type of building to Doug and John visit?
3. At what time of year does Charlotte tell Doug to come to Germany?
4. What are the primary contents of the museum?
5. In "Auf Deutsch" Doug is panicked about _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is John hesitant to interview Charlotte himself?
2. What information does Charlotte share about the phonograph and her record collection?
3. How does John approach Doug with Charlotte's story?
4. What circumstances cause Charlotte to return to her father's home?
5. What does Charlotte recall about playing records during World War II?
6. How is Charlotte spared being recruited into the SS army?
7. What does the author, Doug Wright, explore in the first five sections of I AM MY OWN WIFE?
8. What role does the book, DIE TRANSVESTITEN, play in Charlotte's life?
9. What nuances does Charlotte relate to listening to different types of music on the phonograph?
10. What is the scene entitled "Translating Tante Luise" about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wright is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Much of Charlotte's story takes place as Germany and the world are experiencing the atrocities inflicted by Hitler and the Nazi party. Explain the significance of these political and cultural events on Charlotte. How would Charlotte's life be different today? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
I AM MY OWN WIFE is a classic story of betrayal and survival. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)