|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Doug plan to sleep while in Germany?
2. How does Charlotte end the museum tour?
3. Charlotte does not know if she would have survived the horrible times in her life without what?
4. About what topic does Doug want to write a play?
5. What is the secret code name assigned to Charlotte by the Stasi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charlotte recall about playing records during World War II?
2. What does Charlotte do with all the letters Alfred wrote to her?
3. What information does Charlotte share about the phonograph and her record collection?
4. What diagnosis does a psychiatrist determine for Charlotte's condition?
5. How does the play begin?
6. How does Charlotte escape the Youth Prison?
7. What does the Stasi agent reveal about Charlotte's performance regarding informing on Alfred?
8. How does Act 2 begin?
9. What does Charlotte recall about her first meeting with Alfred?
10. Who does Alfred learn has a big interest in German clocks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of Charlotte's story takes place as Germany and the world are experiencing the atrocities inflicted by Hitler and the Nazi party. Explain the significance of these political and cultural events on Charlotte. How would Charlotte's life be different today? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Aunt Luise. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Aunt Luise?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of transvestites in the early-20th century. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that transvestites of the 21st century do not?
This section contains 1,358 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)