|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doug mistakenly tell his German class that he is wearing?
2. What is the one thing that distinguishes Charlotte as a man?
3. What would happen to Charlotte if she broke her oath?
4. Which of the following miniature pieces does Charlotte not remove from the jewelry box?
5. For how many years has Charlotte had her phonograph?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is John hesitant to interview Charlotte himself?
2. Who is John Marks and what is his relevance to the story?
3. What role does the book, DIE TRANSVESTITEN, play in Charlotte's life?
4. What is contained in the velvet jewelry box Charlotte places on a table?
5. What is the scene entitled "Translating Tante Luise" about?
6. What is Charlotte's punishment for killing her father?
7. What nuances does Charlotte relate to listening to different types of music on the phonograph?
8. Why did Charlotte recreate the tavern after the fall of The Berlin Wall?
9. What does Charlotte recall about playing records during World War II?
10. What does Charlotte tell Doug about her childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Wright use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of hypocrisy in the play. How is it evidenced? Who are the main abusers? Cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is your perspective on the way Dough Wright ends the play. Does he project a note of hope or the continuance of human beings struggling with the human condition? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)