|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shut down the tavern?
2. According to John, Charlotte's file portrays her as what?
3. For how many years did Charlotte operate the tavern under the nose of the Communists?
4. What type of building to Doug and John visit?
5. For how long is Charlotte sentenced to the Youth Prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the play begin?
2. How does Charlotte explain the museum in "Das Gr'nderzeit Museum?"
3. What poster does Charlotte point out to the audience?
4. What does Charlotte recall about playing records during World War II?
5. Why does Charlotte bring a phonograph onto the stage?
6. How does John approach Doug with Charlotte's story?
7. How is Charlotte's gender questioned during the war in the scene entitled "Are You a Boy or a Girl"?
8. How does Doug come to meet Charlotte?
9. What does Charlotte discover about dressing in women's clothing and how does Tante Luise react?
10. What is contained in the velvet jewelry box Charlotte places on a table?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of hypocrisy in the play. How is it evidenced? Who are the main abusers? Cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Wright is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Aunt Luise. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Aunt Luise?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)