|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about Charlotte?
2. Who confronts Charlotte in an air raid shelter during the war?
3. What type of building to Doug and John visit?
4. Who shut down the tavern?
5. I AM MY OWN WIFE is the story of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charlotte bring a phonograph onto the stage?
2. What is Charlotte's punishment for killing her father?
3. How does Charlotte escape the Youth Prison?
4. How is Charlotte spared being recruited into the SS army?
5. What does Charlotte tell Doug about her childhood?
6. How does Charlotte explain the museum in "Das Gr'nderzeit Museum?"
7. What circumstances cause Charlotte to return to her father's home?
8. How does Doug come to meet Charlotte?
9. What is contained in the velvet jewelry box Charlotte places on a table?
10. What does Charlotte recall about playing records during World War II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is your perspective on the way Dough Wright ends the play. Does he project a note of hope or the continuance of human beings struggling with the human condition? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two examples in the play making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Wright use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)