|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to John, Charlotte's file portrays her as what?
2. Who was Charlotte's aunt?
3. Why did Charlotte recreate a tavern in the basement of her museum?
4. At what time of year does Charlotte tell Doug to come to Germany?
5. What does Charlotte say she prefers to the radio?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is John hesitant to interview Charlotte himself?
2. What poster does Charlotte point out to the audience?
3. How is Charlotte's gender questioned during the war in the scene entitled "Are You a Boy or a Girl"?
4. What is the scene entitled "Translating Tante Luise" about?
5. What was the Mulack-Ritze?
6. What does Charlotte discover about dressing in women's clothing and how does Tante Luise react?
7. What does Charlotte recall about playing records during World War II?
8. How is Charlotte described and what is the thing that distinguishes her as a man?
9. What nuances does Charlotte relate to listening to different types of music on the phonograph?
10. What role does the book, DIE TRANSVESTITEN, play in Charlotte's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of hypocrisy in the play. How is it evidenced? Who are the main abusers? Cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of transvestites in the early-20th century. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that transvestites of the 21st century do not?
Essay Topic 3
Wright is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)