Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not said about Charlotte's hands?
2. What does Doug not tell Charlotte he is studying all the time?
3. John would like to interview a character he has met in Germany but is afraid his editor will find the story to be __________________.
4. John Marks writes to his friend, Doug, about events in which country?
5. What did the oath require Charlotte to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Act 2 begin?
2. What does Alfred tell Charlotte in a letter?
3. What does the author, Doug Wright, explore in the first five sections of I AM MY OWN WIFE?
4. What news does Charlotte share on Ziggy's show?
5. What does the Stasi agent reveal about Charlotte's performance regarding informing on Alfred?
6. Who is Ziggy Fluss and what name does he call Charlotte?
7. How does the author plant a seed of doubt in the reader's mind about whether or not Charlotte was an informant?
8. How does Charlotte escape the Youth Prison?
9. Why has Charlotte decided to move to Sweden?
10. How does Doug gain Charlotte's approval to write her story?
Essay Topic 1
Wright is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Much of Charlotte's story takes place as Germany and the world are experiencing the atrocities inflicted by Hitler and the Nazi party. Explain the significance of these political and cultural events on Charlotte. How would Charlotte's life be different today? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Wright use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)