|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Charlotte saved before the Russians could blow it up?
2. How old is Charlotte as the play begins?
3. Which of the following disappeared from gay society after the crumble of the Berlin wall?
4. Doug is impressed by Charlotte's ______________________________.
5. What does Doug request of Charlotte before he begins writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author, Doug Wright, explore in the first five sections of I AM MY OWN WIFE?
2. What circumstances cause Charlotte to return to her father's home?
3. What does Charlotte tell Doug about her childhood?
4. How does Charlotte escape the Youth Prison?
5. Why is John hesitant to interview Charlotte himself?
6. Why does Charlotte bring a phonograph onto the stage?
7. How does the play begin?
8. How does Charlotte come to kill her father?
9. How did Tante Luise scare Charlotte's father into leaving his family alone while at her home?
10. What is Charlotte's punishment for killing her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Aunt Luise. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Aunt Luise?
Essay Topic 2
The phonograph and records are very prominent elements in Charlotte's life and almost seem to become characters of their own. How does the author use them in his staging? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
What is your perspective on the way Dough Wright ends the play. Does he project a note of hope or the continuance of human beings struggling with the human condition? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)