|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did it take for Charlotte to repair her home?
2. When was the museum tavern open?
3. What does Charlotte show Doug in her basement?
4. What does Doug not tell Charlotte he is studying all the time?
5. When does Doug have his first interview with Charlotte?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Charlotte described?
2. How did Tante Luise scare Charlotte's father into leaving his family alone while at her home?
3. What is the scene entitled "Translating Tante Luise" about?
4. How does Charlotte explain the museum in "Das Gr'nderzeit Museum?"
5. How does John approach Doug with Charlotte's story?
6. What nuances does Charlotte relate to listening to different types of music on the phonograph?
7. Who is John Marks and what is his relevance to the story?
8. Why did Charlotte recreate the tavern after the fall of The Berlin Wall?
9. How does the play begin?
10. What is contained in the velvet jewelry box Charlotte places on a table?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Charlotte. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Charlotte?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of Charlotte's phonograph and records. What do they signify? What role do they play in the drama? Why did the author choose to focus on these elements as a major element of symbolism?
Essay Topic 3
The phonograph and records are very prominent elements in Charlotte's life and almost seem to become characters of their own. How does the author use them in his staging? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)