|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about Charlotte?
2. What is die Gr'nderzeit?
3. Who shut down the tavern?
4. How did Charlotte say she escaped from the Youth Prison?
5. Who was Charlotte's aunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John approach Doug with Charlotte's story?
2. How did Tante Luise scare Charlotte's father into leaving his family alone while at her home?
3. How does Charlotte come to kill her father?
4. Who is John Marks and what is his relevance to the story?
5. What does the author, Doug Wright, explore in the first five sections of I AM MY OWN WIFE?
6. How does Doug gain Charlotte's approval to write her story?
7. What is contained in the velvet jewelry box Charlotte places on a table?
8. What does Charlotte discover about dressing in women's clothing and how does Tante Luise react?
9. What nuances does Charlotte relate to listening to different types of music on the phonograph?
10. How does Charlotte explain the museum in "Das Gr'nderzeit Museum?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of irony in the play. One example is the huge irony that Charlotte feels like a female but was born a male. Cite at least three other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
I AM MY OWN WIFE is a classic story of betrayal and survival. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of transvestites in the early-20th century. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that transvestites of the 21st century do not?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)