|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Charlotte's aunt raise?
2. What would happen to Charlotte if she broke her oath?
3. Which of the following does Charlotte's father not threaten to shoot?
4. What does Doug not tell Charlotte he is studying all the time?
5. While at her aunt's home, Charlotte learns the joys of ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John approach Doug with Charlotte's story?
2. What was the Mulack-Ritze?
3. What does Charlotte discover about dressing in women's clothing and how does Tante Luise react?
4. What role does the book, DIE TRANSVESTITEN, play in Charlotte's life?
5. How did Tante Luise scare Charlotte's father into leaving his family alone while at her home?
6. What does Charlotte recall about playing records during World War II?
7. Who is John Marks and what is his relevance to the story?
8. How is Charlotte described?
9. How does Doug come to meet Charlotte?
10. What is contained in the velvet jewelry box Charlotte places on a table?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The phonograph and records are very prominent elements in Charlotte's life and almost seem to become characters of their own. How does the author use them in his staging? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two examples in the play making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
The role of paternal influence is a strong one on Charlotte--but not in a positive way. Describe Charlotte's negative paternal influence and how she overcame it. Where did Charlotte's strongest identity role model come from? Was that surprising given her circumstances? Explain.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)