|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the topic of the scene titled "Vaterland"?
2. When was the museum tavern open?
3. What is a recurring theme in Act 1?
4. What did the oath require Charlotte to do?
5. What type of animal is shown on the poster entitled "His Master's Voice?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charlotte recall about playing records during World War II?
2. Who is John Marks and what is his relevance to the story?
3. Why is John hesitant to interview Charlotte himself?
4. How is Charlotte's gender questioned during the war in the scene entitled "Are You a Boy or a Girl"?
5. How is Charlotte described?
6. How does John approach Doug with Charlotte's story?
7. How does Doug gain Charlotte's approval to write her story?
8. What role does the book, DIE TRANSVESTITEN, play in Charlotte's life?
9. What is the scene entitled "Translating Tante Luise" about?
10. What poster does Charlotte point out to the audience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
I AM MY OWN WIFE is a classic story of betrayal and survival. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is your perspective on the way Dough Wright ends the play. Does he project a note of hope or the continuance of human beings struggling with the human condition? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Wright use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)