|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not said about Charlotte's hands?
2. What does Doug not tell Charlotte he is studying all the time?
3. John would like to interview a character he has met in Germany but is afraid his editor will find the story to be __________________.
4. John Marks writes to his friend, Doug, about events in which country?
5. What did the oath require Charlotte to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Act 2 begin?
2. What does Alfred tell Charlotte in a letter?
3. What does the author, Doug Wright, explore in the first five sections of I AM MY OWN WIFE?
4. What news does Charlotte share on Ziggy's show?
5. What does the Stasi agent reveal about Charlotte's performance regarding informing on Alfred?
6. Who is Ziggy Fluss and what name does he call Charlotte?
7. How does the author plant a seed of doubt in the reader's mind about whether or not Charlotte was an informant?
8. How does Charlotte escape the Youth Prison?
9. Why has Charlotte decided to move to Sweden?
10. How does Doug gain Charlotte's approval to write her story?
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Alfred. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Michael?
Essay Topic 2
I AM MY OWN WIFE is a classic story of betrayal and survival. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of irony in the play. One example is the huge irony that Charlotte feels like a female but was born a male. Cite at least three other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,451 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)