|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where had Charlotte first met Alfred?
(b) An antiques shop.
(c) A cafe.
(d) The tavern.
2. What does Alfred tell Charlotte to tell the Stasi when they come for her?
(a) The clocks belong to the museum board.
(b) Alfred will be moving to America.
(c) The clocks belong to Alfred.
(d) Alfred is on vacation.
3. Why should a Stasi file not be relied on for accuracy?
(a) Spies infiltrated the document room.
(b) Agents had quotas and supervisors.
(c) Translations were not reliable.
(d) Too many people had access to them.
4. Why are Charlotte and Alfred's friends remaining silent during his incarceration?
(a) They do not know where Alfred is.
(b) They have also been arrested.
(c) They are afraid of being found guilty by association.
(d) They are all on holiday.
5. What does Doug argue with John about in "Abdication"?
(a) Who will be in Charlotte's will.
(b) Who has rights to the story.
(c) What he is going to write.
(d) Who is going to photograph Charlotte.
6. Charlotte's mother told him that as a man he needed to ____________.
(b) Grow a beard.
(c) Have children.
(d) Get a job.
7. Who is Alfred Kirschner?
(a) An author.
(b) A prisoner.
(c) An antiques dealer.
(d) A guard.
8. What content does John want to form the basis of Charlotte's stories?
(a) News reports and files.
(b) Charlotte's memories.
(c) Interviews from family and friends.
(d) Charlotte's diaries.
9. Alfred learns that clocks are a hot commodity to ____________________.
(a) School children.
(b) Swiss tourists.
(c) SS soldiers.
(d) American soldiers.
10. Why were the Stasi concerned when they found out Alfred was a homosexual?
(a) He might have abused young boys.
(b) He might have influenced young boys.
(c) He might be labeled mentally defective.
(d) He might have infected others with the AIDS virus.
11. Who is Markus Kaufmann?
(a) Charlotte's banker.
(b) A conservative politician.
(c) Charlotte's brother-in-law.
(d) An SS policeman.
12. Doug recalls an interview in which he asked Charlotte what she did when an antique _________________________.
(a) Started to show its wear.
(b) Was not dated.
(c) Would not sell.
(d) Was irreparable.
13. Where do Charlotte and Alfred get the clocks they sell to American soldiers?
(a) People donate them to the museum.
(b) She buys them online.
(c) People give them to her as gifts.
(d) She gets them at flea markets.
14. What is critical for Doug to believe in order to write Charlotte's story?
(a) Her medical file.
(b) Her informant behavior.
(c) Her survival as a homosexual.
(d) Her antiques experience.
15. Charlotte deflects Doug's questions by commenting on __________________________.
(a) The national election.
(b) The weather.
(c) The sweater she made for Alfred.
(d) A dinner party she is hosting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would agents skew events reported in files?
2. On what topic does Doug want to interview Charlotte in "A Convenient Lapse"?
3. What would happen if Alfred were to be labeled mentally defective?
4. Who is Josef R'diger?
5. What does Charlotte mean when she says "Museum. Mobel. Manner"?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)