|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Charlotte's aunt raise?
(a) Lots of children.
2. The book, DIE TRANSVESTITEN, discusses the balance of _________________________.
(a) Capitalism and religion.
(b) Male to female substances in each person.
(c) Terminal illnesses.
(d) Good and evil in the universe.
3. The author has written the play so that how many actors portray the characters?
4. Why does the Cultural Minister of Germany present Charlotte with an award?
(a) For preserving German history.
(b) For art preservation work.
(c) For philanthropic work.
(d) For diplomatic services.
5. What is Charlotte's given name?
6. How did Charlotte say she escaped from the Youth Prison?
(a) During a fire drill.
(b) When the Russians bombed and the walls fell down.
(c) By tunnelling out in the winter.
(d) By offering a guard cigarettes.
7. Who is Minna Mahlich?
(a) A spy.
(b) A translationist.
(c) A barmaid.
(d) A governess.
8. About what topic does Doug want to write a play?
(a) Charlotte's poetry.
(b) Charlotte's life.
(c) German beer.
(d) German customs.
9. Who were frequent patrons of Mulack-Ritze?
(b) Gays and lesbians.
(c) SS soldiers.
(d) University students.
10. Which of the following does Charlotte's father not threaten to shoot?
(a) SS officers.
(b) His wife.
(d) His children.
11. Who shut down the tavern?
(a) Neighborhood Watch Association.
(b) SS soldiers.
(c) City government.
(d) The Communist government.
12. The first scene of Act 1 is entitled ____________________________.
(a) A Lecture on the Phonograph.
(b) And the Band Played On.
(c) A Diary of Sorts.
(d) Memories and Music.
13. What does Doug request of Charlotte before he begins writing?
(d) Historical documents.
14. Which of the following is not said about Charlotte's hands?
(a) A craftsman's hands.
(b) Delicate as a surgeon's.
(c) The hands of a woodworker.
(d) Definitely a man's hands.
15. What is the name of this scene regarding Charlotte's aunt?
(a) Translating My Life.
(b) No Translation Necessary.
(c) Lost in Translation.
(d) Translating Tante Luise.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what character does Charlotte abruptly transfer?
2. For how many years did Charlotte operate the tavern under the nose of the Communists?
3. Whose answering machine picks up in "Eine Spende"?
4. What does Doug mistakenly tell his German class that he is wearing?
5. What would happen to Charlotte if she broke her oath?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)