|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first scene of Act 1 is entitled ____________________________.
(a) Memories and Music.
(b) A Lecture on the Phonograph.
(c) And the Band Played On.
(d) A Diary of Sorts.
2. Which of the following does not describe Charlotte?
(a) White hair.
(b) No make-up.
(d) Red dress.
3. What is die Gr'nderzeit?
(a) A German noodle dish.
(b) The period in Germany from 1890 to 1900.
(c) A German sports car.
(d) A blessing when someone sneezes.
4. The owner of the tavern wanted the gay clientele because they were well behaved and ____________________.
(a) Very polite.
(b) Had money.
(c) Good tippers.
5. In "Auf Deutsch" Doug is panicked about _____________________.
(a) His unlawful arrest.
(b) Not being able to understand German.
(c) SS soldiers.
(d) The economy.
6. When does Doug have his first interview with Charlotte?
(a) January, 1973.
(b) January, 1983.
(d) January, 2003.
7. Where did Charlotte's aunt live?
(c) East Prussia.
8. Doug is impressed by Charlotte's ______________________________.
(a) Collection of antique dolls.
(b) Survival as a transvestite during the Third Reich.
(c) Mastery of six languages.
(d) Gourmet cooking skills.
9. Charlotte tells Doug that her father was ______________.
(a) A Nazi.
(b) A criminal.
(c) A priest.
(d) An industrialist.
10. What is the name of the animal on the poster?
11. What is Mulack-Ritze?
(a) A tavern.
(b) A port city.
(c) A book.
(d) A bridge.
12. What type of building to Doug and John visit?
13. What is the one thing that distinguishes Charlotte as a man?
(d) Adam's Apple.
14. Who accompanies Doug to the interview to translate?
15. Charlotte recalls her Tante Louise telling her to be as smart as __________________.
(a) A razor.
(b) A tack.
(c) A whip.
(d) The snakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Marks writes to his friend, Doug, about events in which country?
2. For how many years has Charlotte had her phonograph?
3. What precious stone is in the phonograph needle?
4. What did the oath require Charlotte to do?
5. How does Tante Luise get Charlotte's father to leave her home?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)