|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The owner of the tavern wanted the gay clientele because they were well behaved and ____________________.
(a) Very polite.
(c) Had money.
(d) Good tippers.
2. John Marks writes to his friend, Doug, about events in which country?
3. Why does Doug not take Charlotte's picture?
(a) He doesn't want her to think he just wants to gawk at her.
(b) His digital card is full.
(c) He is out of film.
(d) He forgot his camera.
4. In what city does Charlotte live?
5. According to John, Charlotte's file portrays her as what?
(a) A spy.
(b) A Communist.
(c) A philanthropist.
(d) A lesbian.
6. How long did it take for Charlotte to repair her home?
(a) 13 weeks.
(b) 13 months.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 13 years.
7. Which of the following does Charlotte's father not threaten to shoot?
(a) His children.
(b) His wife.
(d) SS officers.
8. What is the topic of the scene titled "Vaterland"?
(a) French history.
(b) The industrial revolution.
(c) Charlotte's boyhood.
(d) Austrian politics.
9. How did Charlotte say she escaped from the Youth Prison?
(a) During a fire drill.
(b) By offering a guard cigarettes.
(c) When the Russians bombed and the walls fell down.
(d) By tunnelling out in the winter.
10. When does Doug have his first interview with Charlotte?
(a) January, 1973.
(b) January, 1983.
(c) January, 2003.
11. Who accompanies Doug to the interview to translate?
12. John would like to interview a character he has met in Germany but is afraid his editor will find the story to be __________________.
(a) Too extreme.
(d) Old news.
13. What did the oath require Charlotte to do?
(a) Report illegal activities.
(b) Spy on professors.
(c) Deny her gender preference.
(d) Report homosexual friends.
14. What are the primary contents of the museum?
15. What is die Gr'nderzeit?
(a) A German sports car.
(b) A German noodle dish.
(c) The period in Germany from 1890 to 1900.
(d) A blessing when someone sneezes.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the museum tavern open?
2. The author has written the play so that how many actors portray the characters?
3. What did Charlotte's aunt never wear?
4. What does Doug not tell Charlotte he is studying all the time?
5. According to Charlotte, what crumbled along with the Berlin wall?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)