|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language did Malala's blog for the BBC appear in?
2. When Malala was shot, her father was at the Swat Press Club for a meeting of what organization?
3. Who was the governor of Punjab in November of 2010?
4. What does "IDP" refer to in Malala's narrative?
5. What is the name of Madam Maryam's two-year-old daughter that she brought on the school trip in Chapter 19: “A Private Talibanization”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurred on Malala's fourteenth birthday in Chapter 19: “A Private Talibanization”? How did the respond?
2. How did Malala go about returning to school in Chapter 14: “A Funny Kind of Peace”?
3. Why was Malala unaccompanied by her brother when she was shot in Chapter 20: “Who Is Malala?”
4. How did Malala's father respond when he discovered Malala's life was threatened in Chapter 18: “The Woman and the Sea”? How did Malala respond?
5. What incident led to the controversy surrounding Ziauddin's school in Chapter 19: “A Private Talibanization”?
6. What surgeries and treatment did Malala receive during her recovery in Chapter 23: “The Girl Shot in the Head, Birmingham”?
7. How does Malala describe her family's return home in Chapter 16: “The Valley of Sorrows”? How long had they been away?
8. How does Malala describe "Beyond the Call of Duty" in Chapter 17: “Praying to Be Tall”?
9. How did the people of Malala's village explain the monsoons and their destruction in Chapter 16: “The Valley of Sorrows”?
10. What "omens" foreshadowed the attack on Malala in Chapter 20: “Who Is Malala?”
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the history of the nation of Pakistan. Who were Pakistan’s leaders? What system of government was established? Who was allowed to vote? What role did and does religion play in the government of Pakistan? What percentage of Pakistanis are Muslim?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of education and its importance to society as illustrated in I Am Malala. What does education signify to Ziauddin? What does it represent to Malala? How would you correlate the concepts of education and freedom? How many girls are allowed an education in Pakistan today?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Benazir Bhutto’s 1999 exile in Dubai, her 2007 return, and her assassination on December 27, 2007. What elections were taking place when Bhutto retuned? What did the people of Pakistan hope for with her return? Who assassinated Benazir Bhutto? What was the impact of her assassination on the people and politics of Pakistan?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)