|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Malala's uncle whose home her family stayed at in Karshat in Chapter 15: “Leaving the Valley”?
2. What American video journalist did Ziauddin meet from the New York Times to interview him in Chapter 13: “The Diary of Gul Makai”?
3. What was the name of the militant group that Raymond Davis was supposedly investigating, according to Malala in Chapter 17: “Praying to Be Tall”?
4. At what age are girls considered to be adults in Islam?
5. What does "IDP" refer to in Malala's narrative?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Malala go about returning to school in Chapter 14: “A Funny Kind of Peace”?
2. Why was Malala taken out of the country in Chapter 22: "Journey into the Unknown"? Where was she taken?
3. What "omens" foreshadowed the attack on Malala in Chapter 20: “Who Is Malala?”
4. What secret was Malala forced to keep in Chapter 13: “The Diary of Gul Makai”? Why?
5. When did Malala awaken from the medically induced coma she was placed in, in Chapter 23: “The Girl Shot in the Head, Birmingham”? What were Malala's impressions when she awoke?
6. When did the monsoons hit Malala's valley in Chapter 16: “The Valley of Sorrows”? What caused the monsoons?
7. What aspects of American or European culture does Malala describe as having influenced her in Chapter 13: “The Diary of Gul Makai”?
8. How does Malala describe her family's return home in Chapter 16: “The Valley of Sorrows”? How long had they been away?
9. What occurred on Malala's fourteenth birthday in Chapter 19: “A Private Talibanization”? How did the respond?
10. How did the people of Malala's village explain the monsoons and their destruction in Chapter 16: “The Valley of Sorrows”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the assassination of Osama bin Laden and its impact on the relationship between the United States and Pakistan. What were the perceptions of Americans regarding bin Laden’s capture and death within Pakistan? What conspiracy theories developed both in the U.S. and in Pakistan regarding this event?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrative style of I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up For Education and Was Shot by the Taliban. Does Malala relate her life story from a first or third person narrator? Why do you think she makes this choice? Does the narrative perspective in the book change or does it remain the same throughout? Is Malala’s story told from a present-tense or past-tense perspective? What impact do each of these choices have on the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Benazir Bhutto’s 1999 exile in Dubai, her 2007 return, and her assassination on December 27, 2007. What elections were taking place when Bhutto retuned? What did the people of Pakistan hope for with her return? Who assassinated Benazir Bhutto? What was the impact of her assassination on the people and politics of Pakistan?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)