|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the Muslim refugees from India called in Karachi, according to Malala in Chapter 18: “The Woman and the Sea”?
2. Malala claims in Chapter 20: “Who Is Malala?” "I love physics because it is about" what?
3. What is the name of Madam Maryam's two-year-old daughter that she brought on the school trip in Chapter 19: “A Private Talibanization”?
4. The television correspondent Mehboob that called Ziauddin in Chapter 19: “A Private Talibanization” was the nephew of whom?
5. What was the title of Malala's first blog entry for the BBC as Gul Makai?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Malala describe the Pakistani response to the news of the U.S. assassination of Osama bin Laden in Chapter 17: “Praying to Be Tall”?
2. What incident led to the controversy surrounding Ziauddin's school in Chapter 19: “A Private Talibanization”?
3. Who was the gunman that shot Malala? Who was captured and held by law enforcement after the shooting?
4. How does Malala describe her return to the school and classes in Chapter 16: “The Valley of Sorrows”?
5. What occurred on Malala's fourteenth birthday in Chapter 19: “A Private Talibanization”? How did the respond?
6. Why did Malala's family leave their home in Chapter 15: “Leaving the Valley”? Where did they go?
7. When did Malala awaken from the medically induced coma she was placed in, in Chapter 23: “The Girl Shot in the Head, Birmingham”? What were Malala's impressions when she awoke?
8. How did the people of Malala's village explain the monsoons and their destruction in Chapter 16: “The Valley of Sorrows”?
9. How did Malala go about returning to school in Chapter 14: “A Funny Kind of Peace”?
10. What "omens" foreshadowed the attack on Malala in Chapter 20: “Who Is Malala?”
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Malala’s impressions of Shangla in Chapter 4: “The Village.” How did Malala perceive the differences between this setting and her home? What differences does Malala point out between herself and her cousins? How did Malala perceive this setting differently when she visited it again later?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Benazir Bhutto’s 1999 exile in Dubai, her 2007 return, and her assassination on December 27, 2007. What elections were taking place when Bhutto retuned? What did the people of Pakistan hope for with her return? Who assassinated Benazir Bhutto? What was the impact of her assassination on the people and politics of Pakistan?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of competition in I Am Malala. How does Malala describe the competition between herself and her peers in school? What are examples of competition Malala points out with her neighbor that stole her phone in Chapter 5? How does Malala feel about her competitive nature?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)