|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the Muslim refugees from India called in Karachi, according to Malala in Chapter 18: “The Woman and the Sea”?
2. What did Malala suggest that she and Moniba should pretend to be while they were on their school trip to Marghazar in Chapter 19: “A Private Talibanization”?
3. What is the title of Part III of Malala's autobiography?
4. Who was the painting of that Ziauddin had hanging over his bed and became upset about when it was crooked in Chapter 20: “Who Is Malala?”
5. Who was Pakistan's president that visited Malala in the hospital in England in Chapter 24: “They Have Snatched Her Smile”?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Malala's family first discover a public threat on Malala's life in Chapter 18: “The Woman and the Sea”?
2. Why was Malala unaccompanied by her brother when she was shot in Chapter 20: “Who Is Malala?”
3. How does Malala describe the Pakistani response to the news of the U.S. assassination of Osama bin Laden in Chapter 17: “Praying to Be Tall”?
4. How does Malala describe her filming for the New York Times in Chapter 13: “The Diary of Gul Makai”?
5. What occurred on Malala's fourteenth birthday in Chapter 19: “A Private Talibanization”? How did the respond?
6. What incident led to the controversy surrounding Ziauddin's school in Chapter 19: “A Private Talibanization”?
7. How did Malala go about returning to school in Chapter 14: “A Funny Kind of Peace”?
8. How did the people of Malala's village explain the monsoons and their destruction in Chapter 16: “The Valley of Sorrows”?
9. How does Malala describe her return to school in the Epilogue: “One Child, One Teacher, One Book, One Pen”? What are Malala's views on returning home?
10. Where was Malala taken in Peshawar in Chapter 21: “God, I Entrust Her to You”? Who treated her here?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the changes in Pakistan during the years under General Zia’s rule. How did Zia’s rule change the role of women in society? How did the citizens of the country react to Zia’s new laws and regulations? What role did General Zia play in the Soviet War in Afghanistan?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the establishment of the Khushal School. Who partnered with Ziauddin to open the school? On what date was it opened? Where was the school located? How many students attended in the beginning? How many of the students of the school were girls?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Ziauddin’s childhood and family. Where was Ziauddin born? How was the culture of this area described at this time? Where was Ziauddin educated? What was Ziauddin’s relationship like with his parents? How many siblings did he have?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)