|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date did Malala have her first trip outside of the hospital in Chapter 24: “They Have Snatched Her Smile”?
2. What word does Malala use in Chapter 20: “Who Is Malala?” to describe "devils"?
3. Who was Pakistan's interior minister that visited Malala in the hospital?
4. What television station invited Malala's family to Karachi in January of 2012?
5. The rulers of what country provided a jet for Malala's transfer to an English hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Malala's father respond when he discovered Malala's life was threatened in Chapter 18: “The Woman and the Sea”? How did Malala respond?
2. Who claimed responsibility for the shooting of Malala? Why did they claim this action was committed?
3. When did Malala awaken from the medically induced coma she was placed in, in Chapter 23: “The Girl Shot in the Head, Birmingham”? What were Malala's impressions when she awoke?
4. Who was the gunman that shot Malala? Who was captured and held by law enforcement after the shooting?
5. Where was Malala taken in Peshawar in Chapter 21: “God, I Entrust Her to You”? Who treated her here?
6. How does Malala describe her return to school in the Epilogue: “One Child, One Teacher, One Book, One Pen”? What are Malala's views on returning home?
7. How does Malala describe her family's return home in Chapter 16: “The Valley of Sorrows”? How long had they been away?
8. Why was Malala unaccompanied by her brother when she was shot in Chapter 20: “Who Is Malala?”
9. Why was Malala not fearful for her life as she spoke out for women's education, according to her narrative in Chapter 13: “The Diary of Gul Makai”?
10. What occurred on Malala's fourteenth birthday in Chapter 19: “A Private Talibanization”? How did the respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Malala’s mother in the narrative. Why did Malala’s mother stop attending school? What caused her to later regret this decision? How did Malala’s mother and father meet? How would you characterize the relationship between Malala’s mother and father?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Malala’s impressions of Shangla in Chapter 4: “The Village.” How did Malala perceive the differences between this setting and her home? What differences does Malala point out between herself and her cousins? How did Malala perceive this setting differently when she visited it again later?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the establishment of the Khushal School. Who partnered with Ziauddin to open the school? On what date was it opened? Where was the school located? How many students attended in the beginning? How many of the students of the school were girls?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)