|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date did Benazir Bhutto return to Pakistan after nine years in exile?
2. Malala says that her ancestors arrived in Swat in what century in Chapter 1: “A Daughter is Born”?
3. Who was Ziauddin's former college rival that became a journalist in Islamabad and organized a conference on the Taliban situation in Swat?
4. Where was Jehanzeb College located that Ziauddin hoped to attend in Chapter 3: “Growing Up in a School”?
5. What is the name of Ziauddin's friend who had become a government official in Peshawar and warned everyone about militant mullahs in Chapter 9: “Radio Mullah”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Malala describe the differences within the Muslim faith in Chapter 8: “The Autumn of the Earthquake”?
2. What is the story that Malala relates of Shabana in Chapter 12: “The Bloody Square”?
3. How does Malala describe the role of the CIA in the Russian-Afghan War in Chapter 2: “My Father the Falcon”?
4. What extracurricular activities did Malala participate in while in school in Pakistan?
5. How does Malala describe her relationship with her rural cousins in Chapter 4: “The Village”?
6. What are your perceptions of Swat Valley based on Malala's descriptions of the region in Chapter 6: “Children of the Rubbish Mountain”?
7. How does Malala describe her first impressions of the Taliban members that began appearing in her village in Chapter 9: “Radio Mullah”?
8. What reasoning does Malala give for why Pashtun's don't say thank you in Chapter 5 : “Why I Don’t Wear Earrings and Pashtuns Don’t Say Thank You”?
9. What is a "mufti"? Who was the mufti that attempted to cross Ziauddin in Chapter 7: “The Mufti Who Tried to Close Our School”?
10. What is one example of a contradiction in Malala's descriptions of herself in the autobiography?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the political, social, and cultural impacts of Operation Rah-e-Rast. How many Pashtuns were displaced due to the fighting in Swat Valley? Where did the refugees go and how were they welcomed? How was Malala’s family impacted by the fighting?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of education and its importance to society as illustrated in I Am Malala. What does education signify to Ziauddin? What does it represent to Malala? How would you correlate the concepts of education and freedom? How many girls are allowed an education in Pakistan today?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the assassination of Osama bin Laden and its impact on the relationship between the United States and Pakistan. What were the perceptions of Americans regarding bin Laden’s capture and death within Pakistan? What conspiracy theories developed both in the U.S. and in Pakistan regarding this event?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)