|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Sher Zaman take work when he did not attend college, according to Malala in Chapter 5 : “Why I Don’t Wear Earrings and Pashtuns Don’t Say Thank You”?
2. What speech disorder did Malala's father struggle with when he was young?
3. What percentage of Pakistanis are Muslim today, according to Malala in Chapter 7: “The Mufti Who Tried to Close Our School”?
4. What two denominations comprise Islam?
5. During what years was Asif Zardari President of Pakistan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one example of a contradiction in Malala's descriptions of herself in the autobiography?
2. What is the story that Malala relates of Shabana in Chapter 12: “The Bloody Square”?
3. What are your perceptions of Swat Valley based on Malala's descriptions of the region in Chapter 6: “Children of the Rubbish Mountain”?
4. Where did Malala's family go for the Eid holiday in Chapter 4: “The Village”? How is this village described?
5. What reasoning does Malala give for why Pashtun's don't say thank you in Chapter 5 : “Why I Don’t Wear Earrings and Pashtuns Don’t Say Thank You”?
6. How did the arrival of the Taliban impact barbers and beauticians in Chapter 9: “Radio Mullah”? Why?
7. How does Malala introduce the reader to her world in the Swat Valley in Chapter 1: “A Daughter is Born”? What are the roles of women in Malala's culture?
8. What does Malala say about conspiracies in Chapter 5 : “Why I Don’t Wear Earrings and Pashtuns Don’t Say Thank You”? What is the impact of this statement?
9. Why does Malala say that the Taliban leaders banned polio vaccines in Chapter 9: “Radio Mullah”? How did the citizens respond?
10. How does Malala describe the role of the CIA in the Russian-Afghan War in Chapter 2: “My Father the Falcon”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of education and its importance to society as illustrated in I Am Malala. What does education signify to Ziauddin? What does it represent to Malala? How would you correlate the concepts of education and freedom? How many girls are allowed an education in Pakistan today?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze Pakistan’s political climate between 1988 and 1999. Who were the leaders of the country during these years? How did Pakistan’s international relations evolve during the period? How were the lives of citizens in Pakistan affected by the changes in government?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the establishment of the Khushal School. Who partnered with Ziauddin to open the school? On what date was it opened? Where was the school located? How many students attended in the beginning? How many of the students of the school were girls?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)