|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Malala's father?
2. Where were the women of the "Burqa Brigade" from, according to Malala in Chapter 10: "Toffees, Tennis Balls and the Buddhas of Swat”?
3. Who is Malala's best friend and academic rival that she describes as being constantly on guard, fearful that her brothers would find her guilty of some infraction and make her stop attending school?
4. What are the names of Malala's younger brothers?
5. What American young adult series does Malala describe reading with her friend Moniba in Chapter 9: “Radio Mullah”?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Malala describe the traditional celebration for the birth of a child in Chapter 4: “The Village”? Why did Malala's family not have a celebration for her birth?
2. How did the arrival of the Taliban impact barbers and beauticians in Chapter 9: “Radio Mullah”? Why?
3. What is a "mufti"? Who was the mufti that attempted to cross Ziauddin in Chapter 7: “The Mufti Who Tried to Close Our School”?
4. What does Malala say about conspiracies in Chapter 5 : “Why I Don’t Wear Earrings and Pashtuns Don’t Say Thank You”? What is the impact of this statement?
5. What are your perceptions of Swat Valley based on Malala's descriptions of the region in Chapter 6: “Children of the Rubbish Mountain”?
6. How does Malala describe the arrival of the Taliban in her village in Chapter 9: “Radio Mullah”? How old was Malala when the Taliban arrived?
7. What gifts did Malala's family bring to the villagers in Chapter 4: “The Village”? Why?
8. How does Malala illustrate the loyalty of her friendships in Chapter 11: “The Clever Class”?
9. How does Malala describe the differences within the Muslim faith in Chapter 8: “The Autumn of the Earthquake”?
10. How did the culture of Pakistan change under the rule of General Musharraf, according to Malala in Chapter 7: “The Mufti Who Tried to Close Our School”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of competition in I Am Malala. How does Malala describe the competition between herself and her peers in school? What are examples of competition Malala points out with her neighbor that stole her phone in Chapter 5? How does Malala feel about her competitive nature?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of education and its importance to society as illustrated in I Am Malala. What does education signify to Ziauddin? What does it represent to Malala? How would you correlate the concepts of education and freedom? How many girls are allowed an education in Pakistan today?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Benazir Bhutto’s 1999 exile in Dubai, her 2007 return, and her assassination on December 27, 2007. What elections were taking place when Bhutto retuned? What did the people of Pakistan hope for with her return? Who assassinated Benazir Bhutto? What was the impact of her assassination on the people and politics of Pakistan?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)