|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Sufi Mohammad imprisoned in a round-up of militant leaders?
2. What are the names of Malala's younger brothers?
3. Who became Ziauddin's mentor and lent him money so that he could attend college?
4. Who wrote the poem about Nazi Germany that Ziauddin carried in his pocket, according to Malala in Chapter 11: “The Clever Class”?
5. What favorite board game did the Taliban ban during its reign in Pakistan, according to Malala in Chapter 10: "Toffees, Tennis Balls and the Buddhas of Swat”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What customs regarding women in the village does Malala describe in Chapter 4: “The Village”?
2. Why does Malala say that the Taliban leaders banned polio vaccines in Chapter 9: “Radio Mullah”? How did the citizens respond?
3. What conflict did Malala encounter with her religious teacher in Chapter 10: "Toffees, Tennis Balls and the Buddhas of Swat”? How did Malala's father advise her?
4. How does Malala describe her relationship with her best childhood friend in Chapter 5 : “Why I Don’t Wear Earrings and Pashtuns Don’t Say Thank You”?
5. How does Malala describe the role of competition within her friendships in Chapter 11: “The Clever Class”?
6. What gifts did Malala's family bring to the villagers in Chapter 4: “The Village”? Why?
7. How did the arrival of the Taliban impact barbers and beauticians in Chapter 9: “Radio Mullah”? Why?
8. How does Malala introduce the reader to her world in the Swat Valley in Chapter 1: “A Daughter is Born”? What are the roles of women in Malala's culture?
9. How did Ziauddin reach a compromise regarding girls' education at his school in Chapter 7: “The Mufti Who Tried to Close Our School”?
10. How does Malala describe the arrival of the Taliban in her village in Chapter 9: “Radio Mullah”? How old was Malala when the Taliban arrived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the establishment of the Khushal School. Who partnered with Ziauddin to open the school? On what date was it opened? Where was the school located? How many students attended in the beginning? How many of the students of the school were girls?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the aftermath of 9/11 and the U.S. “War on Terror.” When did the U.S. invade Afghanistan? How did the U.S.’s invasion of Afghanistan change perceptions of Americans in other countries in the Middle East? What impacts can be seen today as a result of the U.S. War in Afghanistan?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Malala’s mother in the narrative. Why did Malala’s mother stop attending school? What caused her to later regret this decision? How did Malala’s mother and father meet? How would you characterize the relationship between Malala’s mother and father?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)