|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Ziauddin's older brother who worked for years as a teacher at a local school in the village in Chapter 3: “Growing Up in a School”?
(a) Abdul Rashid.
(b) Faiz Mohammad.
(c) Usman Bhai Jan.
(d) Saeed Ramzan.
2. What does Malala say the population of Pakistan is today in Chapter 7: “The Mufti Who Tried to Close Our School”?
(a) 120 million.
(b) 80 million.
(c) 180 million.
(d) 100 million.
3. How does Malala define the term "mufti" in Chapter 7: “The Mufti Who Tried to Close Our School”?
(a) A female midwife.
(b) An Islamic scholar and authority on Islamic law.
(c) A governmental inspector.
(d) A secular student.
4. What is the word that Malala's people use to describe hashish?
5. What does the word "Eid" translate to from Arabic?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Pashtun word for "falcon" that Malala's father used for a time as his last name?
2. What is the name of Malala's teacher whose husband had been killed by the Taliban while working as a police officer in Matta in Chapter 10: "Toffees, Tennis Balls and the Buddhas of Swat”?
3. Who is Malala's best friend and academic rival that she describes as being constantly on guard, fearful that her brothers would find her guilty of some infraction and make her stop attending school?
4. What organization for equal rights for Pashtuns did Ziauddin become general secretary of while he was in college?
5. What high school was bombed by a suicide bomber in Malala's town on February 28, 2008?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Malala describe the tribal feuds within the Swat Valley in Chapter 1: “A Daughter is Born”?
2. How does Malala describe her first impressions of the Taliban members that began appearing in her village in Chapter 9: “Radio Mullah”?
3. What reasoning does Malala give for why Pashtun's don't say thank you in Chapter 5 : “Why I Don’t Wear Earrings and Pashtuns Don’t Say Thank You”?
4. How did the arrival of the Taliban impact barbers and beauticians in Chapter 9: “Radio Mullah”? Why?
5. How does Malala describe the history of the Swat Valley in Chapter 1: “A Daughter is Born”? What is Swat's relationship to Pakistan?
6. What is one example of a contradiction in Malala's descriptions of herself in the autobiography?
7. How does Malala describe the role of competition within her friendships in Chapter 11: “The Clever Class”?
8. What customs regarding women in the village does Malala describe in Chapter 4: “The Village”?
9. How does Malala describe the earthquake that shook her village in Chapter 8: “The Autumn of the Earthquake”?
10. What is a "mufti"? Who was the mufti that attempted to cross Ziauddin in Chapter 7: “The Mufti Who Tried to Close Our School”?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)