|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What American young adult series does Malala describe reading with her friend Moniba in Chapter 9: “Radio Mullah”?
(a) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The Babysitter Club.
(d) Hunger Games.
2. How many times does Malala say her family moved by the time she was thirteen in Chapter 8: “The Autumn of the Earthquake”?
3. Who does Malala describe as "the Frontier Gandhi" that "introduced a non-violent philosophy to our culture" in Chapter 5 : “Why I Don’t Wear Earrings and Pashtuns Don’t Say Thank You”?
(a) Ihsan ul-Haq Haqqani.
(b) Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan.
(c) Saeed Ramzan.
(d) Sher Mohammad Baba.
4. Who wrote The Satanic Verses?
(a) Paullo Coelho.
(b) Salman Rushdie.
(c) Akbar Khan.
(d) Mahatma Gandhi.
5. What landmark in Mingora became known as "Bloody Square" during the Taliban's occupation of the Swat District?
(a) White Square.
(b) Silver Lake.
(c) Green Gardens.
(d) Green Square.
Short Answer Questions
1. Malala says that her ancestors arrived in Swat in what century in Chapter 1: “A Daughter is Born”?
2. During what years was General Zia President of Pakistan?
3. Where did Ziauddin live with Nasir Pacha and his wife in Chapter 3: “Growing Up in a School”?
4. What does Malka-e-Noor's name mean in English?
5. What did Malala's father believe to be the root of all of Pakistan's problems, according to Malala in Chapter 3: “Growing Up in a School”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Malala describe the differences within the Muslim faith in Chapter 8: “The Autumn of the Earthquake”?
2. How does Malala describe the tribal feuds within the Swat Valley in Chapter 1: “A Daughter is Born”?
3. How does Malala describe the history of the Swat Valley in Chapter 1: “A Daughter is Born”? What is Swat's relationship to Pakistan?
4. How does Malala describe the role of the CIA in the Russian-Afghan War in Chapter 2: “My Father the Falcon”?
5. When does Malala describe the traditional celebration for the birth of a child in Chapter 4: “The Village”? Why did Malala's family not have a celebration for her birth?
6. How does Malala describe her first impressions of the Taliban members that began appearing in her village in Chapter 9: “Radio Mullah”?
7. What is a "mufti"? Who was the mufti that attempted to cross Ziauddin in Chapter 7: “The Mufti Who Tried to Close Our School”?
8. How does Malala describe the arrival of the Taliban in her village in Chapter 9: “Radio Mullah”? How old was Malala when the Taliban arrived?
9. How does Malala describe her relationship with her best childhood friend in Chapter 5 : “Why I Don’t Wear Earrings and Pashtuns Don’t Say Thank You”?
10. What customs regarding women in the village does Malala describe in Chapter 4: “The Village”?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)