|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the letter that Ziauddin kept framed outside of his office, according to Malala in Chapter 5 : “Why I Don’t Wear Earrings and Pashtuns Don’t Say Thank You”?
(a) Mahatma Gandhi.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Major General Ghulam Qamar.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
2. What does the word "Eid" translate to from Arabic?
3. Who was Malala's kindergarten teacher?
(a) Miss Hammeda.
(b) Miss Ulfat.
(c) Miss Jajai.
(d) Miss Shazia.
4. What is the name of the festival celebrated yearly to commemorate the killing of the Prophet’s grandson Hussein Ibn Ali?
5. Who was Malala's headmistress at school that told the students not to listen to the Radio Mullah in Chapter 9: “Radio Mullah”?
(a) Miss Shazia.
(b) Miss Hammeda.
(c) Madam Maryam.
(d) Miss Ulfat.
6. What favorite board game did the Taliban ban during its reign in Pakistan, according to Malala in Chapter 10: "Toffees, Tennis Balls and the Buddhas of Swat”?
(b) Chutes and Ladders.
(c) Connect Four.
7. Who was the leader of the Taliban fighters that moved into the Swat Valley in Chapter 9: “Radio Mullah”?
(b) Shabbaz Sharif.
(c) Maulana Khadim.
(d) Maulana Fazlullah.
8. What does the word "sabar" mean, as described in Chapter 7: “The Mufti Who Tried to Close Our School”?
9. When was the dancer Shabana killed by the Taliban?
(a) September, 2008.
(b) May, 2009.
(c) January, 2009.
(d) June, 2009.
10. Who was Malala's chemistry teacher in high school in Chapter 11: “The Clever Class”?
(a) Sir Amjad.
(b) Sir Obaidullah.
(c) Miss Ulfat.
(d) Miss Hammeda.
11. What does Malala describe as the class she struggled most with in school in Chapter 11: “The Clever Class”?
(c) World History.
12. During what years was General Zia President of Pakistan?
13. Malala says that her ancestors arrived in Swat in what century in Chapter 1: “A Daughter is Born”?
(a) The seventeenth century.
(b) The fifteenth century.
(c) The thirteenth century.
(d) The twelfth century.
14. What percentage of Pakistanis are Muslim today, according to Malala in Chapter 7: “The Mufti Who Tried to Close Our School”?
15. What is the name of Ziauddin's friend who had become a government official in Peshawar and warned everyone about militant mullahs in Chapter 9: “Radio Mullah”?
(a) Shabbaz Sharif.
(b) Abdul Hai Kakar.
(d) Abdul Rashid.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times per day does Malala say her mother prays in Chapter 1: “A Daughter is Born”?
2. On what date did Benazir Bhutto return to Pakistan after nine years in exile?
3. What is the Pashtun word for "falcon" that Malala's father used for a time as his last name?
4. Who was Ziauddin's former college rival that became a journalist in Islamabad and organized a conference on the Taliban situation in Swat?
5. How tall was the Jehanabad Buddha outside of Mingora before the Taliban destroyed it?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)