|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the national language of Pakistan?
2. How many times per day does Malala say her mother prays in Chapter 1: “A Daughter is Born”?
3. Where did Sher Zaman take work when he did not attend college, according to Malala in Chapter 5 : “Why I Don’t Wear Earrings and Pashtuns Don’t Say Thank You”?
(a) The British Army.
(b) The village pharmacy.
(c) The village butcher shop.
(d) The village mosque.
4. Who was the first female prime minister of Pakistan?
(a) Benazir Bhutto.
(b) Asia Bibi.
(c) Tor Pekai.
(d) Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan.
5. What does the word "badal" from Chapter 5 : “Why I Don’t Wear Earrings and Pashtuns Don’t Say Thank You” translate to in English?
6. What does the word "sabar" mean, as described in Chapter 7: “The Mufti Who Tried to Close Our School”?
7. What does Malala describe as the class she struggled most with in school in Chapter 11: “The Clever Class”?
(b) World History.
8. Who was the leader of the Taliban fighters that moved into the Swat Valley in Chapter 9: “Radio Mullah”?
(a) Shabbaz Sharif.
(b) Maulana Fazlullah.
(d) Maulana Khadim.
9. What does Malala say she wanted to be while all her friends wanted to be doctors in Chapter 11: “The Clever Class”?
(a) An actress.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) An inventor.
(d) A politician.
10. What does the word "Eid" translate to from Arabic?
11. What did Malala's father believe to be the root of all of Pakistan's problems, according to Malala in Chapter 3: “Growing Up in a School”?
(a) Government corruption.
(b) Lack of education.
(c) Lack of natural resources.
12. Where did Ziauddin live with Nasir Pacha and his wife in Chapter 3: “Growing Up in a School”?
(a) Jamia Hafsa.
(d) Spal Bandi.
13. What is the name of Malala's cousin that she shared a room with so that the cousin could attend school in Chapter 6: “Children of the Rubbish Mountain”?
(d) Asia Bibi.
14. What high school was bombed by a suicide bomber in Malala's town on February 28, 2008?
(a) Spal Bandi High School.
(b) Haji Baba High School.
(c) Shawar Zangay.
(d) Jamia Hafsa High School.
15. On what date does Malala describe the earthquake occurring that devastated her region in Chapter 8: “The Autumn of the Earthquake” ?
(a) October 18, 2007.
(b) July 12, 1997.
(c) December 6, 2012.
(d) October 8, 2005.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first school blown up by the Taliban that Malala describes in Chapter 11: “The Clever Class”?
2. On what day of a newborn child's life does the family traditionally celebrate in Malala's culture?
3. What are the names of Malala's younger brothers?
4. What is the name of Malala's teacher whose husband had been killed by the Taliban while working as a police officer in Matta in Chapter 10: "Toffees, Tennis Balls and the Buddhas of Swat”?
5. When was Malala Yousafzai born?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)