|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other epidemic does Robert feel was caused by vampires?
2. In Part III, Chapter 18, what does Robert wake up doing?
3. In Part II, Chapter 11, what instrument does Robert obtain to further study the characteristics that make vampires what they are?
4. What happens that makes Robert believe that Ruth might be infected?
5. What is wrong with the first instrument Robert obtains in Part II, Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Robert think he is immune to the vampire plague?
2. In Part II, Chapter 13, what does Robert see that fills him with joy?
3. Robert's relationship with Ruth begins with a note of distrust. Explain some of the methods Robert uses to try to detect whether Ruth is a vampire or not.
4. In Part III, Chapter 19, what does the letter that Ruth wrote to Robert say?
5. Explain what happens between Robert and the dog in Part II, Chapter 13.
6. In Part III, Chapter 18, what does Robert see and hear when he wakes up in the middle of the night?
7. Why does Robert acquire a microscope, and what does he see once he gets it to work?
8. In Part II, Chapter 14, what event does Robert recall during the final days of the plague? How does feel about the people involved in this event?
9. How has Robert's relationship with Ben Cortman changed from the days before the plague to their current relationship in Part III, Chapter 15?
10. In Part III, Chapter 19, how does Robert react to Ruth's note?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Robert think he is immune to the disease? What does he think happened that made him immune? Describe this event in detail. Do you think Robert is right, or would you expect some other explanation?
Essay Topic 2
Taking into consideration Robert's lack of companionship, why is it important for him to keep a schedule? What might happen if he just drifts through his day? What does a schedule do to keep Robert going? Why would he even bother with no one to work for or live for? Does he have any purpose in life now that his loved ones are gone? If so, what is it? If not, what might serve that purpose?
Essay Topic 3
What is foreshadowing? Are there any examples of foreshadowing in this novel? What are they? What event(s) do they foreshadow? Why is foreshadowing so important to a novel?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)