|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part II, Chapter 11, what instrument does Robert obtain to further study the characteristics that make vampires what they are?
2. What happens to Robert's new companion at the end of Part II, Chapter 13?
3. In Part III, Chapter 17, what does Ruth say when Robert asks if he can test her blood now?
4. What new hope does Robert's new companion give him in Part II, Chapter 13?
5. How does Robert look in Part III, Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Robert acquire a microscope, and what does he see once he gets it to work?
2. Why does Robert think that vampires have issues with crosses, mirrors, etc.?
3. Why does Robert think he is immune to the vampire plague?
4. What does Robert find on the third day of his drinking binge in Part II, Chapter 12? What is his reaction to this find?
5. In Part II, Chapter 11, how many types of vampires does Robert think there are? Describe the hypothesis Robert forms about these different types..
6. Robert has decided to surrender to the new breed of vampires. What happens when he tries to do so?
7. In Part II, Chapter 12, what other discoveries does Robert make while experimenting on the bacterium?
8. Explain what happens between Robert and the dog in Part II, Chapter 13.
9. In Part III, Chapter 19, what does the letter that Ruth wrote to Robert say?
10. How has Robert's relationship with Ben Cortman changed from the days before the plague to their current relationship in Part III, Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Ben and Robert's relationship before Ben becomes a vampire. Describe Ben and Robert's relationship right after Ben becomes a vampire. Describe Ben and Robert's relationship later in the novel. How does the relationship change? Is there anything about it that remains the same? Compare and contrast these three stages in Ben and Robert's relationship.
Essay Topic 2
When Robert meets Ruth, he is wary and has not even the slightest interest in her romantically. Do you think Robert's trust in humans is permanently damaged? He doesn't seem to know whom to trust, if anyone. How do you think he might recover that trust?
Essay Topic 3
Robert's "germ theory" goes a long way to explain a lot about the vampires, but it doesn't answer everything. How does Robert think the disease spread? Is this a valid hypothesis? Why or why not? Could there be other ways the disease could spread? If so, give some examples. If not, explain why you think Robert's idea is the only valid way the disease could spread. Why is this theory important to the novel?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)