|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Robert smoking in Part III, Chapter 15?
2. What happens to Robert when the men of the new society come for him?
3. As Robert sits on his porch, what does he see running across the field in Part III, Chapter 15?
4. According to Ruth, what is the purpose of the vampire society?
5. How many attempts does it take Robert to learn how to use the second instrument he obtains in Part II, Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert do in Part III, Chapter 17, to show Ruth that he does trust her?
2. What happens when Ruth finally lets Robert draw blood from her to test?
3. How does Robert meet Ruth in Part III, Chapter 15?
4. Why does Robert think he is immune to the vampire plague?
5. In Part II, Chapter 13, what does Robert see that fills him with joy?
6. In Part III, Chapter 19, how does Robert react to Ruth's note?
7. Robert has decided to surrender to the new breed of vampires. What happens when he tries to do so?
8. Why does Robert acquire a microscope, and what does he see once he gets it to work?
9. How has Robert's relationship with Ben Cortman changed from the days before the plague to their current relationship in Part III, Chapter 15?
10. What is Robert's reaction to Ben's death at the hands of the men in dark suits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All fiction is based on conflict and this conflict is presented in a structured format called the plot. Identify the plot of "I Am Legend." How do the events taking place in the novel revolve around this plot? Is it possible to have more than one plot? Does"I Am Legend have more than one plot? If so, what is the other plot(s)? Pick two characters other than Robert and explain their importance to the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the author chooses vampires as the villains of the novel? What do vampires represent in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the various legends associated with vampires. What practical application might these legends serve? For example, the legend about vampires sleeping all day and only coming out at night might be a crafty way parents in any era might have kept their children from staying out after dark and exposing themselves to very real dangers. You may apply your chosen legend and application to current or past times when hypothesizing its purpose.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)