|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what type of note does the relationship between Robert and Ruth begin?
2. What does Ruth say she doesn't care about in Part III, Chapter 16?
3. In Part II, Chapter 13, what does Robert discover that makes him overjoyed?
4. In Part II, Chapter 12, what does Robert find that gives him a glimmer of hope?
5. What does Robert berate himself for forgetting in Part III, Chapter 19?
Essay Topic 1
Several times in the novel, Robert questions why he bothers to go on living. Why do you think he does? Do you think he is afraid of death? Do you think his religious convictions keep him from committing suicide, even after all he's seen?
Essay Topic 2
Robert begins to flash back to his past. What purpose does this serve to the reader? What purpose does it serve to Robert? Are they mutually exclusive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Robert's "germ theory" goes a long way to explain a lot about the vampires, but it doesn't answer everything. How does Robert think the disease spread? Is this a valid hypothesis? Why or why not? Could there be other ways the disease could spread? If so, give some examples. If not, explain why you think Robert's idea is the only valid way the disease could spread. Why is this theory important to the novel?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)