|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Robert look in Part III, Chapter 15?
2. What does Robert see in the vampire's blood?
3. According to Ruth, what is the purpose of the vampire society?
4. What happens that makes Robert believe that Ruth might be infected?
5. In Part III, Chapter 17, what does Ruth agree to allow Robert to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part III, Chapter 19, what does the letter that Ruth wrote to Robert say?
2. Why does Robert think he is immune to the vampire plague?
3. In Part II, Chapter 11, how many types of vampires does Robert think there are? Describe the hypothesis Robert forms about these different types..
4. Robert has decided to surrender to the new breed of vampires. What happens when he tries to do so?
5. In Part II, Chapter 13, what does Robert see that fills him with joy?
6. What happens when Ruth finally lets Robert draw blood from her to test?
7. Why does Robert acquire a microscope, and what does he see once he gets it to work?
8. How has Robert's relationship with Ben Cortman changed from the days before the plague to their current relationship in Part III, Chapter 15?
9. Robert's relationship with Ruth begins with a note of distrust. Explain some of the methods Robert uses to try to detect whether Ruth is a vampire or not.
10. In Part II, Chapter 12, what other discoveries does Robert make while experimenting on the bacterium?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Robert meets Ruth, he is wary and has not even the slightest interest in her romantically. Do you think Robert's trust in humans is permanently damaged? He doesn't seem to know whom to trust, if anyone. How do you think he might recover that trust?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Robert think he is immune to the disease? What does he think happened that made him immune? Describe this event in detail. Do you think Robert is right, or would you expect some other explanation?
Essay Topic 3
All fiction is based on conflict and this conflict is presented in a structured format called the plot. Identify the plot of "I Am Legend." How do the events taking place in the novel revolve around this plot? Is it possible to have more than one plot? Does"I Am Legend have more than one plot? If so, what is the other plot(s)? Pick two characters other than Robert and explain their importance to the plot.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)