|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Part II, Chapter 14, what does Robert realize has never been the answer?
2. In Part II, Chapter 11, what instrument does Robert obtain to further study the characteristics that make vampires what they are?
3. When Part IV, Chapter 20 begins, what year is it?
4. What does Ruth say she doesn't care about in Part III, Chapter 16?
5. In the final days of the plague, two phenomena erupted. What was one?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Ruth finally lets Robert draw blood from her to test?
2. What does Robert find on the third day of his drinking binge in Part II, Chapter 12? What is his reaction to this find?
3. Why does Robert think that vampires have issues with crosses, mirrors, etc.?
4. In Part II, Chapter 13, what does Robert see that fills him with joy?
5. How does Ruth react to Robert accusing her of being a vampire?
6. Robert's relationship with Ruth begins with a note of distrust. Explain some of the methods Robert uses to try to detect whether Ruth is a vampire or not.
7. In Part II, Chapter 14, what event does Robert recall during the final days of the plague? How does feel about the people involved in this event?
8. In Part III, Chapter 19, what does the letter that Ruth wrote to Robert say?
9. What does Robert do in Part III, Chapter 17, to show Ruth that he does trust her?
10. In Part II, Chapter 11, how many types of vampires does Robert think there are? Describe the hypothesis Robert forms about these different types..
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Taking into consideration Robert's lack of companionship, why is it important for him to keep a schedule? What might happen if he just drifts through his day? What does a schedule do to keep Robert going? Why would he even bother with no one to work for or live for? Does he have any purpose in life now that his loved ones are gone? If so, what is it? If not, what might serve that purpose?
Essay Topic 2
Robert begins to flash back to his past. What purpose does this serve to the reader? What purpose does it serve to Robert? Are they mutually exclusive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the early chapters, alcohol serves several purposes for Robert. Most often, it is a way of escape. What do you think Robert is trying to escape other than the vampires? Does the alcohol do what Robert wants it to do, or does it just cause more problems? Why?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)