|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth tell Robert as he embraces her?
2. Ruth is a(n) ___________________.
3. What are the headings of the lists that Robert makes in Part II, Chapter 12?
4. In Part III, Chapter 16, Robert brings Ruth back to his house. What does he wonder about her?
5. What other epidemic does Robert feel was caused by vampires?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Robert meet Ruth in Part III, Chapter 15?
2. How has Robert's relationship with Ben Cortman changed from the days before the plague to their current relationship in Part III, Chapter 15?
3. Robert's relationship with Ruth begins with a note of distrust. Explain some of the methods Robert uses to try to detect whether Ruth is a vampire or not.
4. In Part II, Chapter 13, what does Robert see that fills him with joy?
5. Why does Robert think he is immune to the vampire plague?
6. What happens when Ruth finally lets Robert draw blood from her to test?
7. What is Robert's reaction to Ben's death at the hands of the men in dark suits?
8. Robert has decided to surrender to the new breed of vampires. What happens when he tries to do so?
9. Explain what happens between Robert and the dog in Part II, Chapter 13.
10. In Part II, Chapter 11, how many types of vampires does Robert think there are? Describe the hypothesis Robert forms about these different types..
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert thinks back on his father and their relationship several times during the novel. Why do you think Robert is examining the relationship so closely now that his father is no longer around? What makes Robert's current situation such a perfect setup for analyzing past relationships?
Essay Topic 2
When Robert meets Ruth, he is wary and has not even the slightest interest in her romantically. Do you think Robert's trust in humans is permanently damaged? He doesn't seem to know whom to trust, if anyone. How do you think he might recover that trust?
Essay Topic 3
Robert visits his wife's crypt feeling about as low as he possibly can. He throws a sleeping vampire out of the crypt and onto the grass. When he emerges from the crypt, he finds the vampire dead. Astonished, he realizes that sunlight kills vampires. This raises his spirits, and he is excited to test his new weapon. What is the significance of sunlight and its ability to destroy vampires? Why does Robert get so excited? Why is this discovery so important to him?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)