|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert see in the vampire's blood?
2. What does Ruth say she doesn't care about in Part III, Chapter 16?
3. In Part III, Chapter 16, Robert brings Ruth back to his house. What does he wonder about her?
4. In Part III, Chapter 15, what has Robert gained?
5. In Part II, Chapter 11, what instrument does Robert obtain to further study the characteristics that make vampires what they are?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert find on the third day of his drinking binge in Part II, Chapter 12? What is his reaction to this find?
2. In Part II, Chapter 14, what event does Robert recall during the final days of the plague? How does feel about the people involved in this event?
3. Robert has decided to surrender to the new breed of vampires. What happens when he tries to do so?
4. Why does Robert acquire a microscope, and what does he see once he gets it to work?
5. Why does Robert think he is immune to the vampire plague?
6. In Part II, Chapter 11, how many types of vampires does Robert think there are? Describe the hypothesis Robert forms about these different types..
7. In Part III, Chapter 19, what does the letter that Ruth wrote to Robert say?
8. What does Robert do in Part III, Chapter 17, to show Ruth that he does trust her?
9. Explain what happens between Robert and the dog in Part II, Chapter 13.
10. In Part II, Chapter 12, what other discoveries does Robert make while experimenting on the bacterium?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Robert meets Ruth, he is wary and has not even the slightest interest in her romantically. Do you think Robert's trust in humans is permanently damaged? He doesn't seem to know whom to trust, if anyone. How do you think he might recover that trust?
Essay Topic 2
What is foreshadowing? Are there any examples of foreshadowing in this novel? What are they? What event(s) do they foreshadow? Why is foreshadowing so important to a novel?
Essay Topic 3
Robert's grief and horror at Kathy's death and burial leads him to take drastic action when Virginia dies. What does he do? What are the repercussions of his choice? What kind of danger is he putting himself in? Was he aware of these dangers? If so, why do you think he continued going down that path? If not, why wasn't he? Was he in denial?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)