|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion does Robert feel for the vampires who don't belong to the new society?
2. What does Robert berate himself for forgetting in Part III, Chapter 19?
3. In Part III, Chapter 17, what does Robert tell Ruth is the only way to fight living vampires?
4. What new hope does Robert's new companion give him in Part II, Chapter 13?
5. In Part III, Chapter 17, what does Ruth agree to allow Robert to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part II, Chapter 12, what other discoveries does Robert make while experimenting on the bacterium?
2. What happens when Ruth finally lets Robert draw blood from her to test?
3. Why does Robert think that vampires have issues with crosses, mirrors, etc.?
4. In Part II, Chapter 13, what does Robert see that fills him with joy?
5. What does Robert do in Part III, Chapter 17, to show Ruth that he does trust her?
6. Robert's relationship with Ruth begins with a note of distrust. Explain some of the methods Robert uses to try to detect whether Ruth is a vampire or not.
7. Why does Robert acquire a microscope, and what does he see once he gets it to work?
8. In Part II, Chapter 11, how many types of vampires does Robert think there are? Describe the hypothesis Robert forms about these different types..
9. What does Robert find on the third day of his drinking binge in Part II, Chapter 12? What is his reaction to this find?
10. What is Robert's reaction to Ben's death at the hands of the men in dark suits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert begins to flash back to his past. What purpose does this serve to the reader? What purpose does it serve to Robert? Are they mutually exclusive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the author chooses vampires as the villains of the novel? What do vampires represent in the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose served by burning the bodies of the infected? What are the advantages? What are the disadvantages? Do you think it serves its purpose well, or is it pretty much useless? Why?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)