|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What process does Robert feel explains the vampire's coma in Part II, Chapter 11?
2. What new fear does Robert develop toward the end of Part II, Chapter 13?
3. What does Robert promise to do for Ruth if she is infected?
4. When Part IV, Chapter 20 begins, what year is it?
5. On what type of note does the relationship between Robert and Ruth begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Robert acquire a microscope, and what does he see once he gets it to work?
2. In Part II, Chapter 14, what event does Robert recall during the final days of the plague? How does feel about the people involved in this event?
3. Why does Robert think he is immune to the vampire plague?
4. How has Robert's relationship with Ben Cortman changed from the days before the plague to their current relationship in Part III, Chapter 15?
5. What is Robert's reaction to Ben's death at the hands of the men in dark suits?
6. In Part II, Chapter 12, what other discoveries does Robert make while experimenting on the bacterium?
7. In Part III, Chapter 19, how does Robert react to Ruth's note?
8. In Part II, Chapter 11, how many types of vampires does Robert think there are? Describe the hypothesis Robert forms about these different types..
9. In Part II, Chapter 13, what does Robert see that fills him with joy?
10. What does Robert do in Part III, Chapter 17, to show Ruth that he does trust her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert's grief and horror at Kathy's death and burial leads him to take drastic action when Virginia dies. What does he do? What are the repercussions of his choice? What kind of danger is he putting himself in? Was he aware of these dangers? If so, why do you think he continued going down that path? If not, why wasn't he? Was he in denial?
Essay Topic 2
When Robert meets Ruth, he is wary and has not even the slightest interest in her romantically. Do you think Robert's trust in humans is permanently damaged? He doesn't seem to know whom to trust, if anyone. How do you think he might recover that trust?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose served by burning the bodies of the infected? What are the advantages? What are the disadvantages? Do you think it serves its purpose well, or is it pretty much useless? Why?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)