|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Robert as he watches Ben's execution?
2. On what type of note does the relationship between Robert and Ruth begin?
3. What does Robert promise to do for Ruth if she is infected?
4. In Part III, Chapter 15, what has Robert gained?
5. According to Ruth, what is the purpose of the vampire society?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Robert acquire a microscope, and what does he see once he gets it to work?
2. Why does Robert think he is immune to the vampire plague?
3. Why does Robert think that vampires have issues with crosses, mirrors, etc.?
4. In Part II, Chapter 11, how many types of vampires does Robert think there are? Describe the hypothesis Robert forms about these different types..
5. How does Robert meet Ruth in Part III, Chapter 15?
6. Robert has decided to surrender to the new breed of vampires. What happens when he tries to do so?
7. What is Robert's reaction to Ben's death at the hands of the men in dark suits?
8. How has Robert's relationship with Ben Cortman changed from the days before the plague to their current relationship in Part III, Chapter 15?
9. How does Ruth react to Robert accusing her of being a vampire?
10. In Part II, Chapter 12, what other discoveries does Robert make while experimenting on the bacterium?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert thinks back on his father and their relationship several times during the novel. Why do you think Robert is examining the relationship so closely now that his father is no longer around? What makes Robert's current situation such a perfect setup for analyzing past relationships?
Essay Topic 2
When Robert meets Ruth, he is wary and has not even the slightest interest in her romantically. Do you think Robert's trust in humans is permanently damaged? He doesn't seem to know whom to trust, if anyone. How do you think he might recover that trust?
Essay Topic 3
Robert visits his wife's crypt feeling about as low as he possibly can. He throws a sleeping vampire out of the crypt and onto the grass. When he emerges from the crypt, he finds the vampire dead. Astonished, he realizes that sunlight kills vampires. This raises his spirits, and he is excited to test his new weapon. What is the significance of sunlight and its ability to destroy vampires? Why does Robert get so excited? Why is this discovery so important to him?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)