|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part II, Chapter 14, Robert comes up with a psychological explanation as a new perspective on the way vampires act. To what does he compare this psychological explanation?
2. What does Robert promise to do for Ruth if she is infected?
3. What does Ruth tell Robert as he embraces her?
4. What are the headings of the lists that Robert makes in Part II, Chapter 12?
5. What does Robert do in response to the results of his lists in Part II, Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part II, Chapter 11, how many types of vampires does Robert think there are? Describe the hypothesis Robert forms about these different types..
2. Robert's relationship with Ruth begins with a note of distrust. Explain some of the methods Robert uses to try to detect whether Ruth is a vampire or not.
3. In Part II, Chapter 13, what does Robert see that fills him with joy?
4. What does Robert find on the third day of his drinking binge in Part II, Chapter 12? What is his reaction to this find?
5. How does Robert meet Ruth in Part III, Chapter 15?
6. Robert has decided to surrender to the new breed of vampires. What happens when he tries to do so?
7. How has Robert's relationship with Ben Cortman changed from the days before the plague to their current relationship in Part III, Chapter 15?
8. What does Robert do in Part III, Chapter 17, to show Ruth that he does trust her?
9. Why does Robert think that vampires have issues with crosses, mirrors, etc.?
10. In Part II, Chapter 12, what other discoveries does Robert make while experimenting on the bacterium?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose served by burning the bodies of the infected? What are the advantages? What are the disadvantages? Do you think it serves its purpose well, or is it pretty much useless? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the author chooses vampires as the villains of the novel? What do vampires represent in the story?
Essay Topic 3
I Am Legend is rife with symbolism. Recall.the chapters and choose two symbols to write about. What does that object symbolize? Why do you think it is used in that manner? How many times in the book is the symbol mentioned? Is it possible that the symbol represents more than one thing? If so, what? If not, why not? Answer the questions for each symbol.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)