|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth say she doesn't care about in Part III, Chapter 16?
2. What does Ruth tell Robert as he embraces her?
3. In Part II, Chapter 14, Robert thinks that the people at the revival died with what in their hearts?
4. In Part III, Chapter 17, what does Ruth say when Robert asks if he can test her blood now?
5. In the final days of the plague, two phenomena erupted. What was one?
Short Essay Questions
1. Robert has decided to surrender to the new breed of vampires. What happens when he tries to do so?
2. How does Robert meet Ruth in Part III, Chapter 15?
3. In Part III, Chapter 18, what does Robert see and hear when he wakes up in the middle of the night?
4. Why does Robert acquire a microscope, and what does he see once he gets it to work?
5. What is Robert's reaction to Ben's death at the hands of the men in dark suits?
6. Explain what happens between Robert and the dog in Part II, Chapter 13.
7. What happens when Ruth finally lets Robert draw blood from her to test?
8. How has Robert's relationship with Ben Cortman changed from the days before the plague to their current relationship in Part III, Chapter 15?
9. In Part II, Chapter 11, how many types of vampires does Robert think there are? Describe the hypothesis Robert forms about these different types..
10. How does Ruth react to Robert accusing her of being a vampire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert visits his wife's crypt feeling about as low as he possibly can. He throws a sleeping vampire out of the crypt and onto the grass. When he emerges from the crypt, he finds the vampire dead. Astonished, he realizes that sunlight kills vampires. This raises his spirits, and he is excited to test his new weapon. What is the significance of sunlight and its ability to destroy vampires? Why does Robert get so excited? Why is this discovery so important to him?
Essay Topic 2
Robert's grief and horror at Kathy's death and burial leads him to take drastic action when Virginia dies. What does he do? What are the repercussions of his choice? What kind of danger is he putting himself in? Was he aware of these dangers? If so, why do you think he continued going down that path? If not, why wasn't he? Was he in denial?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ben and Robert's relationship before Ben becomes a vampire. Describe Ben and Robert's relationship right after Ben becomes a vampire. Describe Ben and Robert's relationship later in the novel. How does the relationship change? Is there anything about it that remains the same? Compare and contrast these three stages in Ben and Robert's relationship.
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)