|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part II, Chapter 9, how were the bodies of plague victims treated?
2. What does Robert see as he leaves in his car in Chapter 2?
3. In Part I, Chapter 3, Robert compares the behavior of vampires to several types of people. Which of the following is NOT one of the people Robert mentions?
4. What is on Robert's living room wall?
5. What does Robert do when he sees Ben jump over the object in Part II, Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Outline Robert's experiments on the female vampire in Part II, Chapter 7.
2. What does Robert do in Part II, Scene ,7 after he finds out about the characteristics of garlic; what are the results?
3. Of whom does Ben Cortman begin to remind Robert, and what is Robert's reaction to this realization?
4. When Robert recalls the past in Part I, Chapter 6, what does he remember?
5. In Part I, Chapter 6, what has Robert done to repair his home?
6. Explain a typical day in Robert's life as outlined in Part I, Chapter 2.
7. What does Robert discover about the lymphatic system, and why do his discoveries leave him more disturbed than before?
8. Describe Robert's relationship with Ben Cortman before Ben became ill.
9. What oddity does Robert find while looking for a lathe at Sears?
10. Robert realizes that the vampires' vulnerability lies in their blood. Why does he believe this, and what does he intend to do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert begins to flash back to his past. What purpose does this serve to the reader? What purpose does it serve to Robert? Are they mutually exclusive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Several times in the novel, Robert questions why he bothers to go on living. Why do you think he does? Do you think he is afraid of death? Do you think his religious convictions keep him from committing suicide, even after all he's seen?
Essay Topic 3
All fiction is based on conflict and this conflict is presented in a structured format called the plot. Identify the plot of "I Am Legend." How do the events taking place in the novel revolve around this plot? Is it possible to have more than one plot? Does"I Am Legend have more than one plot? If so, what is the other plot(s)? Pick two characters other than Robert and explain their importance to the plot.
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)