|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what symptoms did victims of the plague suffer?
2. What does Robert hear while he is contemplating the existence of vampires in Part I, Chapter 3?
3. What was the melody played by Ben's door chimes?
4. What does Robert get at the grocery store in Chapter 2?
5. Robert has a tattoo. What does it look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Robert mulls over the ways vampires "die" for the final time. Describe some of the forms these deaths take and Robert's suppositions about why there are different ways of dying for vampires.
2. As Robert takes the pills that will soon end his suffering, what is he thinking?
3. Where is Robert when he wakes up in Part IV, Chapter 21? What does he see? How does he feel? Who is with him?
4. In Part III, Chapter 19, what does the letter that Ruth wrote to Robert say?
5. In Part I, Chapter 6, what does Robert's new mural represent?
6. In Part I, Chapter 3, what does Robert do to vent his frustration, and what is the source of his frustration?
7. What is Robert Neville's mission in life as described in Part I, Chapter 1?
8. What theory about the disease is Robert not ready to accept in Part II, Chapter 7? What does he research after this conclusion?
9. Why is the discovery of the effect that sunlight has on vampires an important turning point for Robert?
10. How does Robert react to the vampire attack after he gets back in his house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose served by burning the bodies of the infected? What are the advantages? What are the disadvantages? Do you think it serves its purpose well, or is it pretty much useless? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is foreshadowing? Are there any examples of foreshadowing in this novel? What are they? What event(s) do they foreshadow? Why is foreshadowing so important to a novel?
Essay Topic 3
Robert visits his wife's crypt feeling about as low as he possibly can. He throws a sleeping vampire out of the crypt and onto the grass. When he emerges from the crypt, he finds the vampire dead. Astonished, he realizes that sunlight kills vampires. This raises his spirits, and he is excited to test his new weapon. What is the significance of sunlight and its ability to destroy vampires? Why does Robert get so excited? Why is this discovery so important to him?
This section contains 1,845 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)