|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Robert thinking about replacing in Chapter 1?
2. How is Robert described in Chapter 1?
3. How fast does Robert drive in Part I, Chapter 4?
4. What is Robert reading in Part I, Chapter 3?
5. In Part I, Chapter 4, to where does Robert drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part I, Chapter 2, Robert makes a kind of "schedule" for his day. Why is this an important step for Robert?
2. In Part II, Chapter 8, Robert continues his investigation into vampires and things which might affect them. Describe one of the additional experiments Robert performs.
3. How does Robert react to the vampire attack after he gets back in his house?
4. In Part I, Chapter 6, what does Robert's new mural represent?
5. How does Robert begin his research into the nature of vampires?
6. Robert mulls over the ways vampires "die" for the final time. Describe some of the forms these deaths take and Robert's suppositions about why there are different ways of dying for vampires.
7. In Part I, Chapter 5, what does Robert fear the vampires will do to his house?
8. In Part I, Chapter 6, what has Robert done to repair his home?
9. Describe Robert Neville as he is introduced to the reader in Part I, Chapter I.
10. Why is the discovery of the effect that sunlight has on vampires an important turning point for Robert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the author chooses vampires as the villains of the novel? What do vampires represent in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Taking into consideration Robert's lack of companionship, why is it important for him to keep a schedule? What might happen if he just drifts through his day? What does a schedule do to keep Robert going? Why would he even bother with no one to work for or live for? Does he have any purpose in life now that his loved ones are gone? If so, what is it? If not, what might serve that purpose?
Essay Topic 3
All fiction is based on conflict and this conflict is presented in a structured format called the plot. Identify the plot of "I Am Legend." How do the events taking place in the novel revolve around this plot? Is it possible to have more than one plot? Does"I Am Legend have more than one plot? If so, what is the other plot(s)? Pick two characters other than Robert and explain their importance to the plot.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)