|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Robert described in Chapter 1?
2. What does Robert's discovery of a more effective way of killing vampires inspire him to do?
3. In Part II, Chapter 8, Ben has become inured to what?
4. Robert recalls the beginning of the plague. A war began. What happened during that war to begin all the trouble?
5. Robert recalls something about the pit when he arrives at the field. What does he recall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Outline Robert's experiments on the female vampire in Part II, Chapter 7.
2. How does Robert begin his research into the nature of vampires?
3. In Part I, Chapter 6, what does Robert's new mural represent?
4. In Part II, Chapter 8, Robert continues his investigation into vampires and things which might affect them. Describe one of the additional experiments Robert performs.
5. Robert mulls over the ways vampires "die" for the final time. Describe some of the forms these deaths take and Robert's suppositions about why there are different ways of dying for vampires.
6. In Part II, Chapter 9, what happens after Robert buried Virginia in a shallow grave.
7. Robert's thoughts have a particular theme in Part I, Chapter 2. Outline his thoughts in simple form and describe the assumptions he makes from his analysis.
8. In Part I, Chapter 3, what does Robert do to vent his frustration, and what is the source of his frustration?
9. In Part I, Chapter 3, to what does Robert compare the vampires?
10. Explain a typical day in Robert's life as outlined in Part I, Chapter 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Taking into consideration Robert's lack of companionship, why is it important for him to keep a schedule? What might happen if he just drifts through his day? What does a schedule do to keep Robert going? Why would he even bother with no one to work for or live for? Does he have any purpose in life now that his loved ones are gone? If so, what is it? If not, what might serve that purpose?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Robert think he is immune to the disease? What does he think happened that made him immune? Describe this event in detail. Do you think Robert is right, or would you expect some other explanation?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ben and Robert's relationship before Ben becomes a vampire. Describe Ben and Robert's relationship right after Ben becomes a vampire. Describe Ben and Robert's relationship later in the novel. How does the relationship change? Is there anything about it that remains the same? Compare and contrast these three stages in Ben and Robert's relationship.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)