|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert read about to continue his investigation into vampires?
2. As Part I, Chapter 6 opens, what year is it?
3. In Part II, Chapter 7, on what does Robert perform his experiments?
4. What does Robert realize when he takes the bandage off his hand in Part II, Chapter 8?
5. In Part I, Chapter 3, what does Robert wonder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Robert mulls over the ways vampires "die" for the final time. Describe some of the forms these deaths take and Robert's suppositions about why there are different ways of dying for vampires.
2. Describe Robert Neville as he is introduced to the reader in Part I, Chapter I.
3. What is Robert Neville's mission in life as described in Part I, Chapter 1?
4. Explain a typical day in Robert's life as outlined in Part I, Chapter 2.
5. In Part I, Chapter 1, what does Robert do for recreation?
6. Robert is reading Bram Stoker's Dracula. His attention is drawn by the quote, "The strength of the vampire is that no one will believe in him." What do you think Stoker meant by this quote, and why does it seem preposterous to Robert in his present situation?
7. What does Robert do in defiance of the law after Virginia dies, and why does he do so?
8. In Part I, Chapter 6, what does Robert's new mural represent?
9. In Part I, Chapter 3, what does Robert do to vent his frustration, and what is the source of his frustration?
10. What is allyl sulphide, and how is it prepared?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the various legends associated with vampires. What practical application might these legends serve? For example, the legend about vampires sleeping all day and only coming out at night might be a crafty way parents in any era might have kept their children from staying out after dark and exposing themselves to very real dangers. You may apply your chosen legend and application to current or past times when hypothesizing its purpose.
Essay Topic 2
I Am Legend is rife with symbolism. Recall.the chapters and choose two symbols to write about. What does that object symbolize? Why do you think it is used in that manner? How many times in the book is the symbol mentioned? Is it possible that the symbol represents more than one thing? If so, what? If not, why not? Answer the questions for each symbol.
Essay Topic 3
Taking into consideration Robert's lack of companionship, why is it important for him to keep a schedule? What might happen if he just drifts through his day? What does a schedule do to keep Robert going? Why would he even bother with no one to work for or live for? Does he have any purpose in life now that his loved ones are gone? If so, what is it? If not, what might serve that purpose?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)