Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part I, Chapter 6, what has Robert done to his house?
2. From what symptoms did victims of the plague suffer?
3. What is Robert reading in Part I, Chapter 3?
4. When Robert is at Sears, what does he find humorous?
5. In Part II, Chapter 9, what could happen to Robert for disobeying the authorities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert find on the third day of his drinking binge in Part II, Chapter 12? What is his reaction to this find?
2. In Part I, Chapter 6, what does Robert's new mural represent?
3. In Part II, Chapter 12, what other discoveries does Robert make while experimenting on the bacterium?
4. Describe Robert's relationship with Ben Cortman before Ben became ill.
5. Of whom does Ben Cortman begin to remind Robert, and what is Robert's reaction to this realization?
6. What has Robert done to keep the vampires out of his home?
7. How does Robert meet Ruth in Part III, Chapter 15?
8. In Part II, Chapter 13, what does Robert see that fills him with joy?
9. How does Robert react to the vampire attack after he gets back in his house?
10. In Part I, Chapter 3, several things drive Robert to despair. Describe one.
Essay Topic 1
What is foreshadowing? Are there any examples of foreshadowing in this novel? What are they? What event(s) do they foreshadow? Why is foreshadowing so important to a novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ben and Robert's relationship before Ben becomes a vampire. Describe Ben and Robert's relationship right after Ben becomes a vampire. Describe Ben and Robert's relationship later in the novel. How does the relationship change? Is there anything about it that remains the same? Compare and contrast these three stages in Ben and Robert's relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Robert's grief and horror at Kathy's death and burial leads him to take drastic action when Virginia dies. What does he do? What are the repercussions of his choice? What kind of danger is he putting himself in? Was he aware of these dangers? If so, why do you think he continued going down that path? If not, why wasn't he? Was he in denial?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)