|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part I, Chapter 4, what is Robert's silent wish?
2. In Part II, Chapter 8, Ben has become inured to what?
3. What does Robert see as he leaves in his car in Chapter 2?
4. In Part II, Chapter 7, Robert is not satisfied that the epidemic was caused by what?
5. What is wrong with Robert when he wakes up in Part I, Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert see when he finally emerges from his wife's crypt?
2. Explain a typical day in Robert's life as outlined in Part I, Chapter 2.
3. In Part I, Chapter 3, several things drive Robert to despair. Describe one.
4. Of whom does Ben Cortman begin to remind Robert, and what is Robert's reaction to this realization?
5. Robert is reading Bram Stoker's Dracula. His attention is drawn by the quote, "The strength of the vampire is that no one will believe in him." What do you think Stoker meant by this quote, and why does it seem preposterous to Robert in his present situation?
6. In Part I, Chapter 4, Robert awakens late in the morning, suffering the effects of a night of drinking too much. His feelings begin to conflict with each other, and he finally gets in his car and drives dangerously and aimlessly. Where does he end up, and what does he do while there?
7. In Part II, Chapter 9, Robert recalls the day of Virginia's death. Describe his reaction in the moments directly after her death.
8. What is allyl sulphide, and how is it prepared?
9. Robert's thoughts have a particular theme in Part I, Chapter 2. Outline his thoughts in simple form and describe the assumptions he makes from his analysis.
10. Why does Robert go to Ben's house after Virginia dies, and what does he find there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert becomes a veritable scientist in his effort to understand the plague and its results better. Why do you think he works so hard when there is nobody left to save? What purpose do his efforts serve?
Essay Topic 2
Robert visits his wife's crypt feeling about as low as he possibly can. He throws a sleeping vampire out of the crypt and onto the grass. When he emerges from the crypt, he finds the vampire dead. Astonished, he realizes that sunlight kills vampires. This raises his spirits, and he is excited to test his new weapon. What is the significance of sunlight and its ability to destroy vampires? Why does Robert get so excited? Why is this discovery so important to him?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the various legends associated with vampires. What practical application might these legends serve? For example, the legend about vampires sleeping all day and only coming out at night might be a crafty way parents in any era might have kept their children from staying out after dark and exposing themselves to very real dangers. You may apply your chosen legend and application to current or past times when hypothesizing its purpose.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)