|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has infected mankind in Chapter 1?
2. What does Robert get out of his dresser drawer after he sees the vampires destroying his personal property?
3. Where does Robert go to study the problem presented in Part II, Chapter 9?
4. Robert discovers what system defends the body from germs?
5. In Part I, Chapter 4, to where does Robert drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Robert is reading Bram Stoker's Dracula. His attention is drawn by the quote, "The strength of the vampire is that no one will believe in him." What do you think Stoker meant by this quote, and why does it seem preposterous to Robert in his present situation?
2. Robert mulls over the ways vampires "die" for the final time. Describe some of the forms these deaths take and Robert's suppositions about why there are different ways of dying for vampires.
3. In Part I, Chapter 6, what has Robert done to repair his home?
4. What does Robert do in defiance of the law after Virginia dies, and why does he do so?
5. How does Robert begin his research into the nature of vampires?
6. In Part II, Chapter 10, when Robert realizes that his isolated experiments are useless and he needs to study the problem scientifically, where does he go, and what does he do there?
7. In Part I, Chapter 1, what does Robert do for recreation?
8. Why is the discovery of the effect that sunlight has on vampires an important turning point for Robert?
9. In Part II, Chapter 9, what happens after Robert buried Virginia in a shallow grave.
10. Describe Robert's efforts to get in his house after his watch stops in Part I, Chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert visits his wife's crypt feeling about as low as he possibly can. He throws a sleeping vampire out of the crypt and onto the grass. When he emerges from the crypt, he finds the vampire dead. Astonished, he realizes that sunlight kills vampires. This raises his spirits, and he is excited to test his new weapon. What is the significance of sunlight and its ability to destroy vampires? Why does Robert get so excited? Why is this discovery so important to him?
Essay Topic 2
Robert's "germ theory" goes a long way to explain a lot about the vampires, but it doesn't answer everything. How does Robert think the disease spread? Is this a valid hypothesis? Why or why not? Could there be other ways the disease could spread? If so, give some examples. If not, explain why you think Robert's idea is the only valid way the disease could spread. Why is this theory important to the novel?
Essay Topic 3
I Am Legend is rife with symbolism. Recall.the chapters and choose two symbols to write about. What does that object symbolize? Why do you think it is used in that manner? How many times in the book is the symbol mentioned? Is it possible that the symbol represents more than one thing? If so, what? If not, why not? Answer the questions for each symbol.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)