|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ben is in what when Robert goes to his house in Part II, Chapter 9?
2. What happens to make Robert bleed during his mad dash home after his watch stops?
3. What does Robert's discovery of a more effective way of killing vampires inspire him to do?
4. What are the creatures repulsed by in Chapter 2?
5. In Part II, Chapter 7, on what does Robert perform his experiments?
Short Essay Questions
1. Outline Robert's experiments on the female vampire in Part II, Chapter 7.
2. What is Robert Neville's mission in life as described in Part I, Chapter 1?
3. Describe Robert's relationship with Ben Cortman before Ben became ill.
4. Describe Robert's efforts to get in his house after his watch stops in Part I, Chapter 5.
5. Why is the discovery of the effect that sunlight has on vampires an important turning point for Robert?
6. What oddity does Robert find while looking for a lathe at Sears?
7. What is allyl sulphide, and how is it prepared?
8. What theory about the disease is Robert not ready to accept in Part II, Chapter 7? What does he research after this conclusion?
9. What does Robert do in Part II, Scene ,7 after he finds out about the characteristics of garlic; what are the results?
10. In Part II, Chapter 9, Robert recalls the day of Virginia's death. Describe his reaction in the moments directly after her death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Ben and Robert's relationship before Ben becomes a vampire. Describe Ben and Robert's relationship right after Ben becomes a vampire. Describe Ben and Robert's relationship later in the novel. How does the relationship change? Is there anything about it that remains the same? Compare and contrast these three stages in Ben and Robert's relationship.
Essay Topic 2
When Robert meets Ruth, he is wary and has not even the slightest interest in her romantically. Do you think Robert's trust in humans is permanently damaged? He doesn't seem to know whom to trust, if anyone. How do you think he might recover that trust?
Essay Topic 3
Robert visits his wife's crypt feeling about as low as he possibly can. He throws a sleeping vampire out of the crypt and onto the grass. When he emerges from the crypt, he finds the vampire dead. Astonished, he realizes that sunlight kills vampires. This raises his spirits, and he is excited to test his new weapon. What is the significance of sunlight and its ability to destroy vampires? Why does Robert get so excited? Why is this discovery so important to him?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)