|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Robert when he wakes up in Part I, Chapter 4?
2. What has infected mankind in Chapter 1?
3. In what war did Robert fight?
4. In Part II, Chapter 8, Robert wonders if Mohammedan vampires are affected by what?
5. What does Robert think explains the musty odor given off by vampires?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part I, Chapter 3, several things drive Robert to despair. Describe one.
2. In Part II, Chapter 9, Robert recalls the day of Virginia's death. Describe his reaction in the moments directly after her death.
3. What has Robert done to keep the vampires out of his home?
4. In Part II, Chapter 10, when Robert realizes that his isolated experiments are useless and he needs to study the problem scientifically, where does he go, and what does he do there?
5. Robert mulls over the ways vampires "die" for the final time. Describe some of the forms these deaths take and Robert's suppositions about why there are different ways of dying for vampires.
6. In Part I, Chapter 6, what does Robert's new mural represent?
7. Why is the discovery of the effect that sunlight has on vampires an important turning point for Robert?
8. What is Robert Neville's mission in life as described in Part I, Chapter 1?
9. Outline Robert's experiments on the female vampire in Part II, Chapter 7.
10. What is allyl sulphide, and how is it prepared?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of Robert's choice of book, Dracula" by Bram Stoker. What character do you think Robert most relates to from that novel? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Taking into consideration Robert's lack of companionship, why is it important for him to keep a schedule? What might happen if he just drifts through his day? What does a schedule do to keep Robert going? Why would he even bother with no one to work for or live for? Does he have any purpose in life now that his loved ones are gone? If so, what is it? If not, what might serve that purpose?
Essay Topic 3
I Am Legend is rife with symbolism. Recall.the chapters and choose two symbols to write about. What does that object symbolize? Why do you think it is used in that manner? How many times in the book is the symbol mentioned? Is it possible that the symbol represents more than one thing? If so, what? If not, why not? Answer the questions for each symbol.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)