|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Robert wake up in Part I, Chapter 4?
2. What is Robert doing while reading?
3. What is on Robert's living room wall?
4. What does Robert see as he leaves in his car in Chapter 2?
5. Robert discovers what system defends the body from germs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ruth react to Robert accusing her of being a vampire?
2. Outline Robert's experiments on the female vampire in Part II, Chapter 7.
3. What two important items did the vampires destroy after Robert's watch stopped, and why were they so important?
4. In Part III, Chapter 18, what does Robert see and hear when he wakes up in the middle of the night?
5. Why does Robert think he is immune to the vampire plague?
6. What theory about the disease is Robert not ready to accept in Part II, Chapter 7? What does he research after this conclusion?
7. Why does Robert go to Ben's house after Virginia dies, and what does he find there?
8. Robert's thoughts have a particular theme in Part I, Chapter 2. Outline his thoughts in simple form and describe the assumptions he makes from his analysis.
9. Explain what happens between Robert and the dog in Part II, Chapter 13.
10. Why does Robert think that vampires have issues with crosses, mirrors, etc.?
Essay Topic 1
Robert's "germ theory" goes a long way to explain a lot about the vampires, but it doesn't answer everything. How does Robert think the disease spread? Is this a valid hypothesis? Why or why not? Could there be other ways the disease could spread? If so, give some examples. If not, explain why you think Robert's idea is the only valid way the disease could spread. Why is this theory important to the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Robert begins to flash back to his past. What purpose does this serve to the reader? What purpose does it serve to Robert? Are they mutually exclusive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
All fiction is based on conflict and this conflict is presented in a structured format called the plot. Identify the plot of "I Am Legend." How do the events taking place in the novel revolve around this plot? Is it possible to have more than one plot? Does"I Am Legend have more than one plot? If so, what is the other plot(s)? Pick two characters other than Robert and explain their importance to the plot.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)