|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part I, Chapter 3, what does Robert wonder?
2. What are the creatures repulsed by in Chapter 2?
3. What does Robert see as he leaves in his car in Chapter 2?
4. What is Robert's father's name?
5. In Part I, Chapter 4, to where does Robert drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert do in Part II, Scene ,7 after he finds out about the characteristics of garlic; what are the results?
2. In Part I, Chapter 3, what does Robert do to vent his frustration, and what is the source of his frustration?
3. Robert realizes that the vampires' vulnerability lies in their blood. Why does he believe this, and what does he intend to do about it?
4. Robert's thoughts have a particular theme in Part I, Chapter 2. Outline his thoughts in simple form and describe the assumptions he makes from his analysis.
5. In Part I, Chapter 2, Robert makes a kind of "schedule" for his day. Why is this an important step for Robert?
6. Describe Robert Neville as he is introduced to the reader in Part I, Chapter I.
7. What has Robert done to keep the vampires out of his home?
8. What oddity does Robert find while looking for a lathe at Sears?
9. In Part I, Chapter 4, Robert awakens late in the morning, suffering the effects of a night of drinking too much. His feelings begin to conflict with each other, and he finally gets in his car and drives dangerously and aimlessly. Where does he end up, and what does he do while there?
10. Describe Robert's efforts to get in his house after his watch stops in Part I, Chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After his close call when his watch stopped, Robert tears down his mural. Why does he do this? What did the mural represent? Does he tear the mural down because he sees that it is only a representation of what he wants and will likely never have again? Do you think this event opened his eyes to that fact?
Essay Topic 2
Several times in the novel, Robert questions why he bothers to go on living. Why do you think he does? Do you think he is afraid of death? Do you think his religious convictions keep him from committing suicide, even after all he's seen?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the various legends associated with vampires. What practical application might these legends serve? For example, the legend about vampires sleeping all day and only coming out at night might be a crafty way parents in any era might have kept their children from staying out after dark and exposing themselves to very real dangers. You may apply your chosen legend and application to current or past times when hypothesizing its purpose.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)