|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part I, Chapter 3, Robert compares the behavior of vampires to several types of people. Which of the following is NOT one of the people Robert mentions?
2. How is the substance created that Robert manufactures in an attempt to kill the vampires in Part II, Chapter 7?
3. In Part II, Chapter 9, why were the bodies of plague victims treated the way they were?
4. What does Robert pack in Chapter 2?
5. What does Robert find himself consumed by while researching his problem in Part II, Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What oddity does Robert find while looking for a lathe at Sears?
2. What theory about the disease is Robert not ready to accept in Part II, Chapter 7? What does he research after this conclusion?
3. Robert realizes that the vampires' vulnerability lies in their blood. Why does he believe this, and what does he intend to do about it?
4. What does Robert do in Part II, Scene ,7 after he finds out about the characteristics of garlic; what are the results?
5. Of whom does Ben Cortman begin to remind Robert, and what is Robert's reaction to this realization?
6. How does Robert react to the vampire attack after he gets back in his house?
7. In Part I, Chapter 6, what has Robert done to repair his home?
8. In Part II, Chapter 9, what happens after Robert buried Virginia in a shallow grave.
9. In Part I, Chapter 1, what does Robert do for recreation?
10. Describe Robert Neville as he is introduced to the reader in Part I, Chapter I.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert thinks back on his father and their relationship several times during the novel. Why do you think Robert is examining the relationship so closely now that his father is no longer around? What makes Robert's current situation such a perfect setup for analyzing past relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Several times in the novel, Robert questions why he bothers to go on living. Why do you think he does? Do you think he is afraid of death? Do you think his religious convictions keep him from committing suicide, even after all he's seen?
Essay Topic 3
What is foreshadowing? Are there any examples of foreshadowing in this novel? What are they? What event(s) do they foreshadow? Why is foreshadowing so important to a novel?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)