|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens that makes Robert believe that Ruth might be infected?
(a) She sleeps all day.
(b) She gags when he shoves mashed garlic under her nose.
(c) She is beginning to smell bad.
(d) She refuses to eat dinner with him.
2. What does Ruth reveal is her true purpose in coming to Robert?
(a) To seduce him.
(b) To steal his secrets.
(c) To kill him.
(d) To spy on him.
3. In Part II, Chapter 11, what instrument does Robert obtain to further study the characteristics that make vampires what they are?
(a) A bioscope.
(b) An electroscope
(c) A telescope.
(d) A microscope.
4. What does Robert see in the vampire's blood?
(a) Rotting red blood cells.
(d) An overabundance of white blood cells.
5. What does Robert notice Ruth is wearing as she sleeps?
(a) A tracking device.
(b) A tiny gold cross.
(c) A wedding ring.
(d) Skimpy lingerie.
6. What process does Robert feel explains the vampire's coma in Part II, Chapter 11?
(b) Progressing disease.
(c) Waste materials in the blood.
7. What are the headings of the lists that Robert makes in Part II, Chapter 12?
(a) Germ and No Germ.
(b) To Be and Not To Be.
(c) Known and Unknown.
(d) Bacillus and Unknown.
8. How does Robert look upon the routine between him and Ben in Part III, Chapter 15?
(a) As a chore.
(b) As a necessary evil.
(c) As a game.
(d) As a pleasant escape from reality.
9. What does Ruth say she doesn't care about in Part III, Chapter 16?
(a) If she ever sees another human.
(c) What they have for dinner.
(d) If she dies.
10. In the final days of the plague, two phenomena erupted. What was one?
(b) Vigilante patrol.
(c) Marshal law.
(d) Yellow journalism.
11. During his recollection of the height of the plague, Robert remembers being literally dragged to a revival meeting. Who drags him?
(a) A vampire.
(b) His neighbor Ben.
(c) His wife Virginia.
(d) A wild-eyed preacher.
12. What does Robert do when he gets frustrated in Part II, Chapter 12?
(b) Takes a deep breath and refocuses his energy.
(c) Punches the wall.
(d) Kicks the instrument to the floor.
13. What does Ruth do to Robert at the end of Part III, Chapter 18?
(a) Shoots him.
(b) Stabs him.
(c) Strikes him with a mallet.
(d) Pushes him out the door into the crowd of waiting vampires.
14. In Part III, Chapter 16, Robert brings Ruth back to his house. What does he wonder about her?
(a) If she is alone.
(b) If she is infected.
(c) If she is married.
(d) If she just moved to town.
15. What does Ruth leave for Robert when she leaves his house?
(a) A note.
(b) A mess.
(d) A rose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new hope does Robert's new companion give him in Part II, Chapter 13?
2. In Part II, Chapter 14, Robert comes up with a psychological explanation as a new perspective on the way vampires act. To what does he compare this psychological explanation?
3. As Robert sits on his porch, what does he see running across the field in Part III, Chapter 15?
4. What happens to Robert's new companion at the end of Part II, Chapter 13?
5. In Part II, Chapter 13, what does Robert discover that makes him overjoyed?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)