|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the priest tell David about God?
2. What does David avoid entering Germany?
3. What comforts David in Chapter Eight?
4. What does David do to the Swiss man that he has never done before?
5. What does David realize Edith may not be happy about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the symbol of kings, and the freedom their presence enables, with the references to "THEM" who, in David's mind, represent and embody oppression and control. Be sure to include any relevant information from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Several times in the novel, David uses water to cleanse himself of various negative events. Choose one of the following examples, and discuss, in depth, how the cleansing David performs symbolizes the cleansing of his spirit and his inner self.
• David's scrubbing after escaping the camp
• David's washing following his beating by Carlo
• David's daily washing in the house of Giovanni
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, David shows himself to be clearly different than other boys. Pick two ways in which David is different, and discuss them in depth. What are these differences? How are they depicted in the novel? What do these differences stem from? Can David overcome them, or does he need to? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,377 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)