|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David ask the priest for?
2. Where is David steered to earn money?
3. What does the wife of the household fear, if the farmer beats David?
4. What does David realize he has found that has changed him forever?
5. What does David think of Carlo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David say in his letter to Carlo?
2. Why does David hate being touched?
3. Explain why David is disheartened in this chapter.
4. Describe the individuals at the farm.
5. How does David locate Edith, and what happens when he arrives?
6. Explain what Sophie means by "someone has broken his spirit".
7. Explain David's experience within the church.
8. Describe the frontier post, and how David managed to avoid it.
9. Describe how David escapes the stable.
10. Explain what David realizes about milk.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point in the novel, David learns about his conscience, as he debates about whether to return to the woman in town to take care of her baby, or whether perhaps by doing so, he would endanger the child. Explain his dilemma, the reasons for his concerns, and his resulting decision. What lesson does David learn about doing what it right?
Essay Topic 2
There is heavy use of symbolism by Anne Holm within the novel. Discuss the use of and meaning of a king, "the man", and the compass in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
There are two strong female characters in the novel, Sophie and the mother of the children, Giovanni's wife. Compare and contrast these two women. How are they similar? How are they different? How do their backgrounds and lifestyles change the way the treat David? Whereas the mother originally sends David away, Sophie asks him to stay. What does this difference indicate about these two characters?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)