Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the woman's name?
2. What does Sophie tell David he is welcome to do?
3. How does the mother say David hates Carlo?
4. What do the parents note about David's speech?
5. What does King do?
Essay Topic 1
Several times in the novel, David uses water to cleanse himself of various negative events. Choose one of the following examples, and discuss, in depth, how the cleansing David performs symbolizes the cleansing of his spirit and his inner self.
• David's scrubbing after escaping the camp
• David's washing following his beating by Carlo
• David's daily washing in the house of Giovanni
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, David comes to realize he can never be a normal boy. Analyze this statement in detail. What aspects of life cause David to state this? Is he correct? Why or why not? Do you think he can ever be a normal child? Why? What in his background could prevent him from achieving any sense of normalcy? Do you think finding his mother will help? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the symbol of kings, and the freedom their presence enables, with the references to "THEM" who, in David's mind, represent and embody oppression and control. Be sure to include any relevant information from the novel.
This section contains 1,390 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)