Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the woman's name?
2. What does Sophie tell David he is welcome to do?
3. How does the mother say David hates Carlo?
4. What do the parents note about David's speech?
5. What does King do?
Essay Topic 1
There are several instances in the book where the author uses scenery and seasons as metaphors for times within David's own life. This is particularly true in Chapter Seven, as winter gives way to spring. Explain how Anne Holm uses these seasons as metaphors for David's own life.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used extensively throughout the novel to help indicate future events. Choose two examples of foreshadowing, and discuss how these examples indicate events to occur within the novel. Do you think the author uses foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Several times in the novel, David uses water to cleanse himself of various negative events. Choose one of the following examples, and discuss, in depth, how the cleansing David performs symbolizes the cleansing of his spirit and his inner self.
* David's scrubbing after escaping the camp
* David's washing following his beating by Carlo
* David's daily washing in the house of Giovanni
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)