|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many variations of beautiful are there, to David?
2. What does Edith call David when she sees him?
3. What comforts David in Chapter Eight?
4. How does David cross Germany?
5. What does David realize about King's actions?
Essay Topic 1
Several times in the novel, David uses water to cleanse himself of various negative events. Choose one of the following examples, and discuss, in depth, how the cleansing David performs symbolizes the cleansing of his spirit and his inner self.
• David's scrubbing after escaping the camp
• David's washing following his beating by Carlo
• David's daily washing in the house of Giovanni
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, the value of freedom and independent choice is a primary theme in the novel. Choose one of the following examples, and discuss it in detail. Explain not only the situation, but how the situation embodies the theme of freedom and value of independent thought.
• David's reaction to Angelo's dilemma of whom to marry
• David's decision to walk across the road on page 35.
• David's letter to Giovanni and his wife
Essay Topic 3
The author often uses strong depictions of the landscape David moves through both to indicate position as well as to provide David with uplifting moments in his journey. Choose a scene in which David is in awe and wonder about his surroundings, and analyze that scene. Why is David so enthralled? What type of environment is he used to? How does the author use David's surroundings to uplift his character, at times?
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)