|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David ask the priest for?
2. Where does David claim to be from when the woman who drives him asks?
3. How does the mother say David hates Carlo?
4. What does the mother say the father should not worry about when searching for somewhere to send David?
5. What is the animal's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of David touching Maria?
2. What does David say in his letter to Carlo?
3. Why is being able to use proper wording important to David?
4. Explain David's experience within the church.
5. Why does David have such difficulty understanding the young boys he has come to live with?
6. How does David locate Edith, and what happens when he arrives?
7. Explain what happens to King.
8. Why does Giovanni respect David?
9. Why does Giovanni's wife want David to leave?
10. How does David cross into Denmark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is heavy use of symbolism by Anne Holm within the novel. Discuss the use of and meaning of a king, "the man", and the compass in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, David comes to realize he can never be a normal boy. Analyze this statement in detail. What aspects of life cause David to state this? Is he correct? Why or why not? Do you think he can ever be a normal child? Why? What in his background could prevent him from achieving any sense of normalcy? Do you think finding his mother will help? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, there is constant contrast between the life David has led, and the life of the more privileged in society. Compare and contrast David's life with the life of others, making sure to touch on concepts such as freedom, choice, materialism, education, and self identity.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)