|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has David told Maria how to do so it doesn't hurt?
2. Why does David ask for books made prior to 1917?
3. What does the man give to David once they reach Frankfurt?
4. With which child does David feel most at ease?
5. What does David do to explain his departure to the parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David find out about a woman named Edith Fengel.
2. Describe the frontier post, and how David managed to avoid it.
3. Explain what happens to King.
4. What does David say in his letter to Carlo?
5. Explain why David is disheartened in this chapter.
6. Describe how David comes to meet Sophie Hartmann, and describe Sophie.
7. Explain what Sophie means by "someone has broken his spirit".
8. How does David cross into Denmark?
9. Explain what David realizes about milk.
10. Why does Giovanni respect David?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, the word King symbolizes freedom and free will to David, as he knows that countries that have kings are not under the control of "them". Later in the novel, when he is in his darkest hour, he is befriended by a dog, who he names "King". Describe how the dog's final actions in the novel affirm the concept that the word "king" symbolizes both free will and freedom.
Essay Topic 2
The title of the novel, "I Am David", has great meaning within the novel, as David uses the phrase several times. What does David means when he declares "I Am David"? How does this phrase relate to the progression of the novel? How does it relate to the growth of David's character?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, David shows himself to be clearly different than other boys. Pick two ways in which David is different, and discuss them in depth. What are these differences? How are they depicted in the novel? What do these differences stem from? Can David overcome them, or does he need to? Why or why not?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)