|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has David become depressed?
2. Why is the situation actually advantageous for David?
3. What does David realize the man in camp had been forcing him to drink?
4. Why does David ask for books made prior to 1917?
5. What does the priest tell David about God?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain David's experience within the church.
2. What does David say in his letter to Carlo?
3. Why does Giovanni respect David?
4. Explain David's conversation with God when he realizes the farmer has bolted the door, and his resulting revelation.
5. Why is being able to use proper wording important to David?
6. Why does David stop caring consciously about what happens to him, and how does he manage to keep going?
7. Explain why David is disheartened in this chapter.
8. How does David cross into Denmark?
9. Explain the newspaper letter David reads, and why it is important to him.
10. Why does David hate being touched?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is heavy use of symbolism by Anne Holm within the novel. Discuss the use of and meaning of a king, "the man", and the compass in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, David makes the attempt to "win" over those around him, including the guards, and those who are cruel to him. Locate at least two of these circumstances. What is the situation? Why does David feel the need to "win" against these individuals? What does this say about David, as a person? Do you think David's actions make him petty, or righteous? Why?
Essay Topic 3
At one point in the novel, David learns about his conscience, as he debates about whether to return to the woman in town to take care of her baby, or whether perhaps by doing so, he would endanger the child. Explain his dilemma, the reasons for his concerns, and his resulting decision. What lesson does David learn about doing what it right?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)