|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David realize he has found that has changed him forever?
2. What has David told Maria how to do so it doesn't hurt?
3. What is David asked to do inside?
4. What is revealed at the end of the chapter about Edith, the woman in the photograph?
5. What does Maria give to David?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens to King.
2. Explain why David asks God to spare King, and kill him instead.
3. Describe how David comes to meet Sophie Hartmann, and describe Sophie.
4. How does David cross into Denmark?
5. Explain how being kept a slave on the farm is beneficial to David.
6. Why does David have such difficulty understanding the young boys he has come to live with?
7. Explain David's opinion about ruling over others.
8. What does David find out about a woman named Edith Fengel.
9. Why does David hate being touched?
10. Explain why David doesn't like dogs, and how his friendship with King develops.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel there is reference to David's eyes. This is later linked in the novel to the eyes of Edith, his mother. Explain what people see when they look into David's eyes, in terms of why they find his eyes do unique. What in David's life has led him to show the expression in his eyes that he shows? Why does his mother have the same eyes? How does the author use this to link not only their genetics, but their experiences?
Essay Topic 2
At one point in the novel, David learns about his conscience, as he debates about whether to return to the woman in town to take care of her baby, or whether perhaps by doing so, he would endanger the child. Explain his dilemma, the reasons for his concerns, and his resulting decision. What lesson does David learn about doing what it right?
Essay Topic 3
Several times in the novel, David uses water to cleanse himself of various negative events. Choose one of the following examples, and discuss, in depth, how the cleansing David performs symbolizes the cleansing of his spirit and his inner self.
• David's scrubbing after escaping the camp
• David's washing following his beating by Carlo
• David's daily washing in the house of Giovanni
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)