|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does David learn about countries?
2. What does David see in a newspaper?
3. What does David say about the right of parents over children?
4. What does Maria ask David to do?
5. How does David earn money in these places?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David cross into Denmark?
2. Explain David's experience within the church.
3. What is the significance of David touching Maria?
4. Describe the individuals at the farm.
5. Explain what happens to King.
6. Describe the frontier post, and how David managed to avoid it.
7. Explain why David doesn't like dogs, and how his friendship with King develops.
8. Why does David hate being touched?
9. What does David say in his letter to Carlo?
10. Explain how being kept a slave on the farm is beneficial to David.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, David comes to realize he can never be a normal boy. Analyze this statement in detail. What aspects of life cause David to state this? Is he correct? Why or why not? Do you think he can ever be a normal child? Why? What in his background could prevent him from achieving any sense of normalcy? Do you think finding his mother will help? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There is heavy use of symbolism by Anne Holm within the novel. Discuss the use of and meaning of a king, "the man", and the compass in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Another popular theme in the novel is the power of faith, both in mankind and in God. Discuss the role faith plays in the novel, both in terms of its power to help, and its power to destroy when faith is lost.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)