|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man say David will find by the tree?
2. Why does David ration his prayers to God?
3. What does David do to his hair?
4. What does David do once he is in the stream?
5. What do the couple give to David for his assistance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe David's first meal with the family.
2. Why does David force himself not to think?
3. Describe the frontier post, and how David managed to avoid it.
4. Describe how David escapes the stable.
5. Why does Giovanni respect David?
6. Describe David's first prayer.
7. What is the significance of David touching Maria?
8. Describe the individuals at the farm.
9. Describe how David comes to meet Sophie Hartmann, and describe Sophie.
10. What does David say in his letter to Carlo?
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, the word King symbolizes freedom and free will to David, as he knows that countries that have kings are not under the control of "them". Later in the novel, when he is in his darkest hour, he is befriended by a dog, who he names "King". Describe how the dog's final actions in the novel affirm the concept that the word "king" symbolizes both free will and freedom.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, the value of freedom and independent choice is a primary theme in the novel. Choose one of the following examples, and discuss it in detail. Explain not only the situation, but how the situation embodies the theme of freedom and value of independent thought.
• David's reaction to Angelo's dilemma of whom to marry
• David's decision to walk across the road on page 35.
• David's letter to Giovanni and his wife
Essay Topic 3
There are two strong female characters in the novel, Sophie and the mother of the children, Giovanni's wife. Compare and contrast these two women. How are they similar? How are they different? How do their backgrounds and lifestyles change the way the treat David? Whereas the mother originally sends David away, Sophie asks him to stay. What does this difference indicate about these two characters?
This section contains 2,070 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)