|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David help the man find, that he has lost at the side of the road?
2. How does David get money for food?
3. What does the man on the boat give to David to help him in the water?
4. What does the drink David finds help him do?
5. What does David ask God to let his rescue of the girl count for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why David knows so many languages, and how this might be able to help him.
2. Explain how David comes to the home of Giovanni.
3. What happens to David's clothes, and what is the result of this? How does he feel?
4. Explain why David doesn't believe he would be good at playing.
5. Explain what the man tells David to do to escape.
6. What does David realize about King's actions?
7. Describe how David comes to meet Sophie Hartmann, and describe Sophie.
8. Explain the newspaper letter David reads, and why it is important to him.
9. Explain what David realizes about milk.
10. Explain why David knows so little of himself, including where he is from, and what he looks like.
Essay Topic 1
There is heavy use of symbolism by Anne Holm within the novel. Discuss the use of and meaning of a king, "the man", and the compass in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
There are several instances in the book where the author uses scenery and seasons as metaphors for times within David's own life. This is particularly true in Chapter Seven, as winter gives way to spring. Explain how Anne Holm uses these seasons as metaphors for David's own life.
Essay Topic 3
David's relationship with God grows through the novel from being non-existent to being one of the most vital relationships in his life. Describe each stage of this relationship in detail. How does David find God? How does he choose a God? How does he pray? How does he learn about God? What promises does he make to God, and what triumphs does he attribute to God? Does God succeed, to David, in helping him?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)