|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David find to eat in the truck?
2. What does the man say David will find by the tree?
3. What does the man in town give to David to eat?
4. Why does David require help getting dressed?
5. What does David do once he is in the stream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the scene between David and the couple who are out of gas. Why are they suspicious, and how does David disarm them?
2. Explain what the man on the ship and the woman in the shop mean when they discuss David's eyes.
3. Explain how David comes to choose a God, and why.
4. Why was crossing the road, a dangerous task, a type of turning point for David?
5. Describe how David comes to own a mirror, and his reaction to his own reflection.
6. Explain why David thinks Angelo is stupid.
7. Explain why David plunges through the thicket instead of going around it.
8. Describe David's reaction to his bedroom, when he awakens the first time.
9. Describe David's response to his new surroundings, and why they are so powerful.
10. Why does David force himself not to think?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are two strong female characters in the novel, Sophie and the mother of the children, Giovanni's wife. Compare and contrast these two women. How are they similar? How are they different? How do their backgrounds and lifestyles change the way the treat David? Whereas the mother originally sends David away, Sophie asks him to stay. What does this difference indicate about these two characters?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, the value of freedom and independent choice is a primary theme in the novel. Choose one of the following examples, and discuss it in detail. Explain not only the situation, but how the situation embodies the theme of freedom and value of independent thought.
• David's reaction to Angelo's dilemma of whom to marry
• David's decision to walk across the road on page 35.
• David's letter to Giovanni and his wife
Essay Topic 3
David's relationship with God grows through the novel from being non-existent to being one of the most vital relationships in his life. Describe each stage of this relationship in detail. How does David find God? How does he choose a God? How does he pray? How does he learn about God? What promises does he make to God, and what triumphs does he attribute to God? Does God succeed, to David, in helping him?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)