|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was forbidden by the prisoners to talk about at the camp?
2. What does the substance in the bottle turn out to be?
3. What does David ask God to let his rescue of the girl count for?
4. What does David believe about countries with kings?
5. What is David nervous of doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why David is afraid to attempt to hitchhike.
2. Describe David's first meal with the family.
3. Describe how David is able to keep going long after he has stopped caring.
4. Explain how David comes to the home of Giovanni.
5. Explain why David's eating of the orange forced him to consider going into town.
6. Explain the scene between David and the couple who are out of gas. Why are they suspicious, and how does David disarm them?
7. Explain why the man on the ship does not turn David in, and how he helps him to escape.
8. Explain why David doesn't believe he would be good at playing.
9. Explain how David comes to choose a God, and why.
10. Why does David decide, as he runs during his escape, to stop running and instead to walk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, David makes the attempt to "win" over those around him, including the guards, and those who are cruel to him. Locate at least two of these circumstances. What is the situation? Why does David feel the need to "win" against these individuals? What does this say about David, as a person? Do you think David's actions make him petty, or righteous? Why?
Essay Topic 2
David's relationship with God grows through the novel from being non-existent to being one of the most vital relationships in his life. Describe each stage of this relationship in detail. How does David find God? How does he choose a God? How does he pray? How does he learn about God? What promises does he make to God, and what triumphs does he attribute to God? Does God succeed, to David, in helping him?
Essay Topic 3
There are two strong female characters in the novel, Sophie and the mother of the children, Giovanni's wife. Compare and contrast these two women. How are they similar? How are they different? How do their backgrounds and lifestyles change the way the treat David? Whereas the mother originally sends David away, Sophie asks him to stay. What does this difference indicate about these two characters?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)