|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man say David will find by the tree?
2. What is David wrapped in?
3. What does David lose into the sea?
4. What does David aim to become by washing himself of the camp?
5. What does David find to eat in the truck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why David is reluctant to escape, and why he does it, despite his reservations.
2. Describe David's reaction to his bedroom, when he awakens the first time.
3. Explain why the man on the ship does not turn David in, and how he helps him to escape.
4. Explain why David is beat up, and why he refuses to fight back.
5. Explain what the man on the ship and the woman in the shop mean when they discuss David's eyes.
6. Explain why David thinks Angelo is stupid.
7. Explain why David's eating of the orange forced him to consider going into town.
8. Explain the scene between David and the couple who are out of gas. Why are they suspicious, and how does David disarm them?
9. Explain why David knows so many languages, and how this might be able to help him.
10. Explain why David doesn't believe he would be good at playing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, there is constant contrast between the life David has led, and the life of the more privileged in society. Compare and contrast David's life with the life of others, making sure to touch on concepts such as freedom, choice, materialism, education, and self identity.
Essay Topic 2
The author often uses strong depictions of the landscape David moves through both to indicate position as well as to provide David with uplifting moments in his journey. Choose a scene in which David is in awe and wonder about his surroundings, and analyze that scene. Why is David so enthralled? What type of environment is he used to? How does the author use David's surroundings to uplift his character, at times?
Essay Topic 3
There is heavy use of symbolism by Anne Holm within the novel. Discuss the use of and meaning of a king, "the man", and the compass in the novel.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)