|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David aim to become by washing himself of the camp?
2. Who does Angelo wish to marry?
3. What does the drink David finds help him do?
4. What does David choose in Chapter Three?
5. Why does David leave the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how David saves Maria from the fire.
2. Explain how David comes to choose a God, and why.
3. Explain why David is afraid to attempt to hitchhike.
4. Describe David's first prayer.
5. Describe the scene with the man who loses his glasses. What does David do, what is the couple's response, and why is it disturbing for David?
6. Explain why David is reluctant to escape, and why he does it, despite his reservations.
7. Explain what the man tells David to do to escape.
8. Explain why David doesn't believe he would be good at playing.
9. Describe David's reaction to his bedroom, when he awakens the first time.
10. Explain how David comes to the home of Giovanni.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the symbol of kings, and the freedom their presence enables, with the references to "THEM" who, in David's mind, represent and embody oppression and control. Be sure to include any relevant information from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Several times in the novel, David uses water to cleanse himself of various negative events. Choose one of the following examples, and discuss, in depth, how the cleansing David performs symbolizes the cleansing of his spirit and his inner self.
• David's scrubbing after escaping the camp
• David's washing following his beating by Carlo
• David's daily washing in the house of Giovanni
Essay Topic 3
There are two strong female characters in the novel, Sophie and the mother of the children, Giovanni's wife. Compare and contrast these two women. How are they similar? How are they different? How do their backgrounds and lifestyles change the way the treat David? Whereas the mother originally sends David away, Sophie asks him to stay. What does this difference indicate about these two characters?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)