|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does David require help getting dressed?
2. What is David nervous of doing?
3. What does David believe the escape to be?
4. What does David vow never to enter, as he believes it to be dangerous?
5. What does the man apologize for in the letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain David's reaction to the baby.
2. Describe David's reaction to his bedroom, when he awakens the first time.
3. Explain why David is reluctant to escape, and why he does it, despite his reservations.
4. Explain why David knows so many languages, and how this might be able to help him.
5. Describe how David comes to own a mirror, and his reaction to his own reflection.
6. What happens to David's clothes, and what is the result of this? How does he feel?
7. Why do the people in town eventually wish to catch David?
8. Why does David force himself not to think?
9. Explain why David thinks Angelo is stupid.
10. Explain what the man on the ship and the woman in the shop mean when they discuss David's eyes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point in the novel, David learns about his conscience, as he debates about whether to return to the woman in town to take care of her baby, or whether perhaps by doing so, he would endanger the child. Explain his dilemma, the reasons for his concerns, and his resulting decision. What lesson does David learn about doing what it right?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, David shows himself to be clearly different than other boys. Pick two ways in which David is different, and discuss them in depth. What are these differences? How are they depicted in the novel? What do these differences stem from? Can David overcome them, or does he need to? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, David comes to realize he can never be a normal boy. Analyze this statement in detail. What aspects of life cause David to state this? Is he correct? Why or why not? Do you think he can ever be a normal child? Why? What in his background could prevent him from achieving any sense of normalcy? Do you think finding his mother will help? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)