|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David do when he realizes he has to leave?
2. What does David admit to the woman that he does not know how to do?
3. Why does David pick up the newspaper the food is wrapped in?
4. What does David aim to become by washing himself of the camp?
5. How does David determine which direction he is heading?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how David saves Maria from the fire.
2. Explain how David comes to the home of Giovanni.
3. Describe David's response to his new surroundings, and why they are so powerful.
4. Explain why David thinks Angelo is stupid.
5. Explain how David comes to choose a God, and why.
6. Explain why David decides to stay with the family, when asked.
7. Describe David's first prayer.
8. Describe how David comes to own a mirror, and his reaction to his own reflection.
9. Why was crossing the road, a dangerous task, a type of turning point for David?
10. Explain why David doesn't believe he would be good at playing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, David shows himself to be clearly different than other boys. Pick two ways in which David is different, and discuss them in depth. What are these differences? How are they depicted in the novel? What do these differences stem from? Can David overcome them, or does he need to? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There is heavy use of symbolism by Anne Holm within the novel. Discuss the use of and meaning of a king, "the man", and the compass in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Several times in the novel, David uses water to cleanse himself of various negative events. Choose one of the following examples, and discuss, in depth, how the cleansing David performs symbolizes the cleansing of his spirit and his inner self.
• David's scrubbing after escaping the camp
• David's washing following his beating by Carlo
• David's daily washing in the house of Giovanni
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)