|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David hear as he walks along the side of the road?
2. When does David travel?
3. What does David see that will work for shelter for him?
4. What does the man apologize for in the letter?
5. What does the drink David finds help him do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was crossing the road, a dangerous task, a type of turning point for David?
2. Explain why David knows so many languages, and how this might be able to help him.
3. Why does David decide, as he runs during his escape, to stop running and instead to walk?
4. Describe the scene with the man who loses his glasses. What does David do, what is the couple's response, and why is it disturbing for David?
5. Explain why David plunges through the thicket instead of going around it.
6. Describe David's reaction to his bedroom, when he awakens the first time.
7. Describe how David saves Maria from the fire.
8. Why was it so important for David to clean himself so thoroughly?
9. Describe David's response to his new surroundings, and why they are so powerful.
10. Explain why David is afraid to attempt to hitchhike.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times in the novel, David uses water to cleanse himself of various negative events. Choose one of the following examples, and discuss, in depth, how the cleansing David performs symbolizes the cleansing of his spirit and his inner self.
• David's scrubbing after escaping the camp
• David's washing following his beating by Carlo
• David's daily washing in the house of Giovanni
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, David comes to realize he can never be a normal boy. Analyze this statement in detail. What aspects of life cause David to state this? Is he correct? Why or why not? Do you think he can ever be a normal child? Why? What in his background could prevent him from achieving any sense of normalcy? Do you think finding his mother will help? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, the word King symbolizes freedom and free will to David, as he knows that countries that have kings are not under the control of "them". Later in the novel, when he is in his darkest hour, he is befriended by a dog, who he names "King". Describe how the dog's final actions in the novel affirm the concept that the word "king" symbolizes both free will and freedom.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)