|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the drink David finds help him do?
2. What did Johannes tell David about greedy people?
3. What does David experience following the doctor's visit?
4. What does David buy with his money?
5. What did David pick up in the camp that will help him tremendously?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why David is afraid to attempt to hitchhike.
2. Describe David's response to his new surroundings, and why they are so powerful.
3. Explain why David is beat up, and why he refuses to fight back.
4. Explain David's reaction to the baby.
5. Why was crossing the road, a dangerous task, a type of turning point for David?
6. Explain how David comes to choose a God, and why.
7. Explain why David is reluctant to escape, and why he does it, despite his reservations.
8. Describe how David is able to keep going long after he has stopped caring.
9. Why was it so important for David to clean himself so thoroughly?
10. Explain the scene between David and the couple who are out of gas. Why are they suspicious, and how does David disarm them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another popular theme in the novel is the power of faith, both in mankind and in God. Discuss the role faith plays in the novel, both in terms of its power to help, and its power to destroy when faith is lost.
Essay Topic 2
The title of the novel, "I Am David", has great meaning within the novel, as David uses the phrase several times. What does David means when he declares "I Am David"? How does this phrase relate to the progression of the novel? How does it relate to the growth of David's character?
Essay Topic 3
There are two strong female characters in the novel, Sophie and the mother of the children, Giovanni's wife. Compare and contrast these two women. How are they similar? How are they different? How do their backgrounds and lifestyles change the way the treat David? Whereas the mother originally sends David away, Sophie asks him to stay. What does this difference indicate about these two characters?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)