|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Johannes tell David about greedy people?
2. Why does David decide he must go into town?
3. What are the eating utensils made from at dinner?
4. What does David lose into the sea?
5. What do houses mean for David?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene with the man who loses his glasses. What does David do, what is the couple's response, and why is it disturbing for David?
2. How does David locate Edith, and what happens when he arrives?
3. Describe how David comes to own a mirror, and his reaction to his own reflection.
4. What does David find out about a woman named Edith Fengel.
5. What happens to David's clothes, and what is the result of this? How does he feel?
6. How does David cross into Denmark?
7. Describe how David comes to meet Sophie Hartmann, and describe Sophie.
8. Explain what the man on the ship and the woman in the shop mean when they discuss David's eyes.
9. Explain what happens to King.
10. Explain David's reaction to the baby.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another popular theme in the novel is the power of faith, both in mankind and in God. Discuss the role faith plays in the novel, both in terms of its power to help, and its power to destroy when faith is lost.
Essay Topic 2
There are several instances in the book where the author uses scenery and seasons as metaphors for times within David's own life. This is particularly true in Chapter Seven, as winter gives way to spring. Explain how Anne Holm uses these seasons as metaphors for David's own life.
Essay Topic 3
Several times in the novel, David uses water to cleanse himself of various negative events. Choose one of the following examples, and discuss, in depth, how the cleansing David performs symbolizes the cleansing of his spirit and his inner self.
• David's scrubbing after escaping the camp
• David's washing following his beating by Carlo
• David's daily washing in the house of Giovanni
This section contains 2,093 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)