Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David help the man find, that he has lost at the side of the road?
2. How does David get money for food?
3. What does the man on the boat give to David to help him in the water?
4. What does the drink David finds help him do?
5. What does David ask God to let his rescue of the girl count for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why David knows so many languages, and how this might be able to help him.
2. Explain how David comes to the home of Giovanni.
3. What happens to David's clothes, and what is the result of this? How does he feel?
4. Explain why David doesn't believe he would be good at playing.
5. Explain what the man tells David to do to escape.
6. What does David realize about King's actions?
7. Describe how David comes to meet Sophie Hartmann, and describe Sophie.
8. Explain the newspaper letter David reads, and why it is important to him.
9. Explain what David realizes about milk.
10. Explain why David knows so little of himself, including where he is from, and what he looks like.
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, there is constant contrast between the life David has led, and the life of the more privileged in society. Compare and contrast David's life with the life of others, making sure to touch on concepts such as freedom, choice, materialism, education, and self identity.
Essay Topic 2
The author often uses strong depictions of the landscape David moves through both to indicate position as well as to provide David with uplifting moments in his journey. Choose a scene in which David is in awe and wonder about his surroundings, and analyze that scene. Why is David so enthralled? What type of environment is he used to? How does the author use David's surroundings to uplift his character, at times?
Essay Topic 3
There are two strong female characters in the novel, Sophie and the mother of the children, Giovanni's wife. Compare and contrast these two women. How are they similar? How are they different? How do their backgrounds and lifestyles change the way the treat David? Whereas the mother originally sends David away, Sophie asks him to stay. What does this difference indicate about these two characters?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)