|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes with David as he escapes the farmhouse?
(a) The farmer.
(b) The wife.
(c) The son.
2. What animal befriends David in the stable?
(a) A cat.
(b) A cow.
(c) A dog.
(d) A pig.
3. What is David asked to do inside?
(a) Remain silent.
(b) Set the table.
(c) Make the bed.
(d) Cook dinner.
4. Why can David not give the driver the address in Denmark?
(a) He can't remember it.
(b) He is afraid.
(c) He was told not to.
(d) He doesn't know it.
5. Why does the driver not want to go past Faido?
(a) The weather is bad.
(b) He doesn't want to go father.
(c) There are police patrols.
(d) He is tired.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does David claim God is cruel?
2. Why is the situation actually advantageous for David?
3. What did Johannes tell David about responsibility?
4. What does David realize the man in camp had been forcing him to drink?
5. What does the woman David meets wish to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David locate Edith, and what happens when he arrives?
2. Why does David stop caring consciously about what happens to him, and how does he manage to keep going?
3. Describe the frontier post, and how David managed to avoid it.
4. Describe how David comes to meet Sophie Hartmann, and describe Sophie.
5. How does David cross into Denmark?
6. Explain why David doesn't like dogs, and how his friendship with King develops.
7. Explain what Sophie means by "someone has broken his spirit".
8. What does David say in his letter to Carlo?
9. Why does Giovanni's wife want David to leave?
10. What is the significance of David touching Maria?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)