|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does David claim God is cruel?
(a) For trapping him with the farmer.
(b) For making him believe he was safe.
(c) For making him lonely.
(d) For making him feel loved.
2. What does David believe God is trying to teach him?
(a) That Carlo was not bad.
(b) That Carlo was bad.
(c) That the farmer is a good person.
(d) That he is stupid.
3. How many variations of beautiful are there, to David?
4. What condition to go on living does David believe he forgot when he met Maria?
(a) That he does not smile.
(b) That he not care for anyone.
(c) That he is not happy.
(d) That he does not speak.
5. Why does David feel he should take off his shoes?
(a) He may need them for winter.
(b) They are worn out.
(c) They are visible in darkness.
(d) They hurt his feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David realize the man in camp had been forcing him to drink?
2. How does David cross Germany?
3. What comforts David in Chapter Eight?
4. Why does David ask for books made prior to 1917?
5. How does the mother say David hates Carlo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Giovanni's wife want David to leave?
2. Why does David have such difficulty understanding the young boys he has come to live with?
3. Describe how David comes to meet Sophie Hartmann, and describe Sophie.
4. Explain what David realizes about milk.
5. Explain why David asks God to spare King, and kill him instead.
6. Why does Giovanni respect David?
7. Describe the frontier post, and how David managed to avoid it.
8. What does David say in his letter to Carlo?
9. Explain the newspaper letter David reads, and why it is important to him.
10. Explain David's experience within the church.
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)