|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does David feel he should take off his shoes?
(a) They are visible in darkness.
(b) They hurt his feet.
(c) They are worn out.
(d) He may need them for winter.
2. What is revealed at the end of the chapter about Edith, the woman in the photograph?
(a) She is in a camp in Germany.
(b) She is dead.
(c) She is kind.
(d) She is likely David's mother.
3. Why doesn't David go back?
(a) He knows he will be captured.
(b) He knows he will be tortured.
(c) He knows he can never belong.
(d) He knows he will fall in love with Maria.
4. How does David cross Germany?
(a) On trains.
(b) On foot.
(c) In trucks.
(d) By boat.
5. Who does David meet inside the church?
(a) A priest.
(b) A nun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David think of Carlo?
2. What is the animal's name?
3. How does David learn about countries?
4. Why does the farmer lock the stable door one night?
5. What does the wife of the household fear, if the farmer beats David?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David cross into Denmark?
2. Why does Giovanni's wife want David to leave?
3. Describe how David escapes the stable.
4. Why does David hate being touched?
5. What is the significance of David touching Maria?
6. Describe the individuals at the farm.
7. Why does David have such difficulty understanding the young boys he has come to live with?
8. Why does Giovanni respect David?
9. Explain what David realizes about milk.
10. Explain what Sophie means by "someone has broken his spirit".
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)