|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the wife of the household fear, if the farmer beats David?
(a) That he will hit him back.
(b) That he will run away.
(c) That he will kill them in their sleep.
(d) That he will tell police.
2. Why does David find living with people difficult?
(a) They expect nothing of him, and he is used to working.
(b) They expect things of him he wouldn't normally do.
(c) They are all intelligent.
(d) They are all cruel.
3. What happens to King?
(a) He is captured.
(b) He is shot and killed.
(c) He is wounded.
4. Who does David find he is most comfortable with?
(c) Truck drivers.
5. What does David think should have roused his suspicions?
(a) The state of the people he saw.
(b) The fence.
(c) The stream.
(d) The scenery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has David told Maria how to do so it doesn't hurt?
2. What does David do to the Swiss man that he has never done before?
3. Why is the situation actually advantageous for David?
4. What does David start to believe he is?
5. How does the mother say David hates Carlo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the newspaper letter David reads, and why it is important to him.
2. Explain what Sophie means by "someone has broken his spirit".
3. Explain why David doesn't like dogs, and how his friendship with King develops.
4. Explain David's conversation with God when he realizes the farmer has bolted the door, and his resulting revelation.
5. Describe how David comes to meet Sophie Hartmann, and describe Sophie.
6. What does David realize about King's actions?
7. What does David say in his letter to Carlo?
8. Explain what happens to King.
9. Why does David now believe the man kept him in the concentration camp, only to take care of him and eventually let him go?
10. Explain David's opinion about ruling over others.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)