|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does King do?
(a) Whimpers as David is shot.
(b) Runs with David toward the fields.
(c) Bites David as he tries to run.
(d) Draws attention to himself, allowing David to run.
2. What does the mother say the father should not worry about when searching for somewhere to send David?
(a) The location.
(b) The cost.
(c) The country.
(d) The government.
3. What does David take pains to avoid?
(a) A young mother.
(b) The frontier post.
(c) The police.
(d) Local tourists.
4. What does David think of Carlo?
(a) He thinks he is a bad person.
(b) He thinks he is a nice boy.
(c) He thinks he is a thief.
(d) He thinks he is a killer.
5. Where is David taken when the woman realizes the time?
(a) To a local shelter.
(b) To the police.
(c) To an orphanage.
(d) To her home to eat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Johannes tell David about responsibility?
2. Where does David claim to be from when the woman who drives him asks?
3. What does David say about the right of parents over children?
4. What does David do as soon as he can afford to?
5. Why does the farmer decide the boy must go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why David doesn't like dogs, and how his friendship with King develops.
2. Explain the newspaper letter David reads, and why it is important to him.
3. Explain David's conversation with God when he realizes the farmer has bolted the door, and his resulting revelation.
4. Explain what Sophie means by "someone has broken his spirit".
5. Describe how David escapes the stable.
6. What is the significance of David touching Maria?
7. How does David locate Edith, and what happens when he arrives?
8. Explain how being kept a slave on the farm is beneficial to David.
9. Why does David hate being touched?
10. Describe how David comes to meet Sophie Hartmann, and describe Sophie.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)