|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city is David trying to reach, to get on a boat?
2. What vehicle does David smuggle himself into in this chapter that helps him reach his destination?
(a) A tourist's car.
(b) A delivery truck.
(c) A hearse.
(d) An army truck.
3. Why did Johannes not want people in camp to tell David things of the outside world?
(a) He was jealous.
(b) He didn't want him to want what he couldn't have.
(c) He didn't want the guards to hear.
(d) He didn't want David to know about the real world.
4. Why does David pick up the newspaper the food is wrapped in?
(a) So he can use it for fire.
(b) So he can practice reading.
(c) So he can use it as a blanket.
(d) So he can wrap his own food.
5. Why does David decide he must go into town?
(a) To find a church.
(b) To learn about the world.
(c) To find a friend.
(d) To see if the Germans were looking for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David decide to do at the beginning of Chapter Three, in terms of travel?
2. What does David aim to become by washing himself of the camp?
3. What do the couple give to David for his assistance?
4. Why does David require help getting dressed?
5. How long does David have to climb over the fence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why David plunges through the thicket instead of going around it.
2. Why was it so important for David to clean himself so thoroughly?
3. Describe the scene with the man who loses his glasses. What does David do, what is the couple's response, and why is it disturbing for David?
4. Explain why David refused the man's money, and why the man hid money in David's bundle.
5. Describe how David is able to keep going long after he has stopped caring.
6. Why does David decide, as he runs during his escape, to stop running and instead to walk?
7. Explain the scene between David and the couple who are out of gas. Why are they suspicious, and how does David disarm them?
8. What happens to David's clothes, and what is the result of this? How does he feel?
9. Explain why David is reluctant to escape, and why he does it, despite his reservations.
10. Explain why David knows so many languages, and how this might be able to help him.
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)