|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did David pick up in the camp that will help him tremendously?
(a) The ability to disguise himself well.
(b) The ability to read.
(c) Many languages.
(d) The ability to cook.
2. Why is David so enthralled by dinner?
(a) He has never used a knife before.
(b) He has never had porridge before.
(c) He has never eaten a meal outside the camp.
(d) He has never used a fork before.
3. What does David tell the woman in town that she must do with her child?
(a) Look after him.
(b) Punish him.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Give him away.
4. What does David decide at the end of Chapter One?
(a) That he wants to be caught.
(b) That he wants to be a sailor.
(c) That he doesn't want to die.
(d) That he wants to die.
5. Who serves the family dinner?
(a) The children.
(c) The children's' mother.
(d) The children's' father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David ask the couple to do while he gets help?
2. What does David decide makes a person smile?
3. What does David help the man find, that he has lost at the side of the road?
4. What animal startles David one evening as is lying down?
5. Why doesn't David eat much at dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to David's clothes, and what is the result of this? How does he feel?
2. Explain why David's eating of the orange forced him to consider going into town.
3. Explain why David decides to stay with the family, when asked.
4. Explain how David comes to the home of Giovanni.
5. Explain David's reaction to the baby.
6. Why was crossing the road, a dangerous task, a type of turning point for David?
7. Describe David's response to his new surroundings, and why they are so powerful.
8. Describe how David saves Maria from the fire.
9. Explain why David is reluctant to escape, and why he does it, despite his reservations.
10. Explain why David knows so little of himself, including where he is from, and what he looks like.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)