|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David decide at the end of Chapter One?
(a) That he wants to be caught.
(b) That he wants to die.
(c) That he wants to be a sailor.
(d) That he doesn't want to die.
2. Why does David decide to attempt to escape?
(a) He believes he will be captured again.
(b) He believes he will be killed.
(c) He believes he will be saved.
(d) He believes he can make it.
3. What is David wrapped in?
(a) A robe.
(b) A traveling rug.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A towel.
4. What does the substance in the bottle turn out to be?
5. What does David help the man find, that he has lost at the side of the road?
(a) His wallet.
(c) His flask.
(d) A tire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped David while he was in the camp?
2. What does David believe the escape to be?
3. What does David ask the couple to do while he gets help?
4. What does David do as he rides in the vehicle?
5. What does David find to eat in the truck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why David is beat up, and why he refuses to fight back.
2. Describe how David is able to keep going long after he has stopped caring.
3. Explain the scene between David and the couple who are out of gas. Why are they suspicious, and how does David disarm them?
4. Explain what the man on the ship and the woman in the shop mean when they discuss David's eyes.
5. Why does David force himself not to think?
6. Explain why David is afraid to attempt to hitchhike.
7. Explain why David decides to stay with the family, when asked.
8. Explain why David doesn't believe he would be good at playing.
9. Describe David's response to his new surroundings, and why they are so powerful.
10. Explain why the man on the ship does not turn David in, and how he helps him to escape.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)