|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does David not wash in the fountains in town?
(a) He fears it is forbidden.
(b) He is afraid of water.
(c) The water is unclean.
(d) He is shy.
2. What does David pick up, slightly damaged, after a woman drops it in the street?
(a) A walking stick.
(b) A mirror.
(c) A bottle.
(d) A wheel.
3. How does David put out the fire in the girls hair?
(a) He stomps on it.
(b) With his damp shirt.
(c) With his dry shirt.
(d) With his hands.
4. Why did Johannes not want people in camp to tell David things of the outside world?
(a) He didn't want him to want what he couldn't have.
(b) He didn't want David to know about the real world.
(c) He was jealous.
(d) He didn't want the guards to hear.
5. What does David fear is in the bundle left by the man?
(a) A bullet.
(b) A bomb.
(c) A snake.
(d) A gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does David have to climb over the fence?
2. What does David notice about the people in the first town he visits?
3. What does David tell the woman in town that she must do with her child?
4. What are the eating utensils made from at dinner?
5. What does David lose into the sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the man on the ship does not turn David in, and how he helps him to escape.
2. Why was crossing the road, a dangerous task, a type of turning point for David?
3. Why does David decide, as he runs during his escape, to stop running and instead to walk?
4. Explain why David knows so many languages, and how this might be able to help him.
5. Describe how David saves Maria from the fire.
6. Explain the scene between David and the couple who are out of gas. Why are they suspicious, and how does David disarm them?
7. Describe how David is able to keep going long after he has stopped caring.
8. Why was it so important for David to clean himself so thoroughly?
9. Describe David's reaction to his bedroom, when he awakens the first time.
10. Explain why David is beat up, and why he refuses to fight back.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)