|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is David taken when the woman realizes the time?
(a) To a local shelter.
(b) To an orphanage.
(c) To the police.
(d) To her home to eat.
2. What does David do to the Swiss man that he has never done before?
(a) He waves at him.
(b) He talks to him.
(c) He hugs him.
(d) He beats him.
3. What does King do?
(a) Draws attention to himself, allowing David to run.
(b) Runs with David toward the fields.
(c) Bites David as he tries to run.
(d) Whimpers as David is shot.
4. How does David plan to escape?
(a) By killing the farmer.
(b) By sneaking away at night.
(c) By cutting a hole in the wall, and digging through the snow.
(d) By asking the farmer to release him.
5. Who does David meet inside the church?
(c) A nun.
(d) A priest.
6. What does David ask God to do?
(a) Save the dog.
(b) Save him.
(c) Help Maria through life.
(d) Save the men from King.
7. What does the priest tell David about God?
(a) There are many Gods.
(b) God is dead.
(c) God is cruel.
(d) There is only one God.
8. What is revealed at the end of the chapter about Edith, the woman in the photograph?
(a) She is in a camp in Germany.
(b) She is dead.
(c) She is kind.
(d) She is likely David's mother.
9. What does David realize the man in camp had been forcing him to drink?
10. Why has David become depressed?
(a) He entered a house, and now knows what he is missing.
(b) He lost his friends.
(c) He loved Maria.
(d) He loved his new family.
11. What does David ask the woman about Denmark?
(a) How far it is.
(b) If it snows.
(c) If there is a king.
(d) How pretty it is.
12. Who does David find he is most comfortable with?
(a) Truck drivers.
13. What has David told Maria how to do so it doesn't hurt?
14. Why does the farmer decide the boy must go?
(a) He has "a hold" on the dog.
(b) He is of no use to the farmer.
(c) He is too expensive to feed.
(d) He is no longer working.
15. Why is the situation actually advantageous for David?
(a) He is housed for the winter.
(b) He is paid.
(c) He is able to see a map.
(d) He likes the farmer's family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the mother want David to leave?
2. What does David say about imprisoning a murderer?
3. Why did the man allow Johannes to live more freely than other prisoners?
4. What does David start to believe he is?
5. What does Sophie tell David he is welcome to do?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)