|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David know will happen to him when he runs?
(a) He will be tired.
(b) He will be shot.
(c) He will be captured.
(d) He will be released.
2. Why did the man allow Johannes to live more freely than other prisoners?
(a) Because he was David's brother.
(b) Because he was David's father.
(c) Because he was his mother's brother.
(d) Because he was taking care of David.
3. How does the mother say David hates Carlo?
(a) As a man hates a woman.
(b) As a child hates another child.
(c) As a grown man hates another man.
(d) As a man hates an animal.
4. What did Johannes tell David about responsibility?
(a) Always to blame others.
(b) Never to take responsibility for something that wasn't his fault.
(c) Always to blame "them".
(d) That there is always something one can do to help a situation.
5. How does David cross Germany?
(a) By boat.
(b) In trucks.
(c) On trains.
(d) On foot.
6. Why does David feel he should take off his shoes?
(a) They hurt his feet.
(b) They are worn out.
(c) He may need them for winter.
(d) They are visible in darkness.
7. Why doesn't David like to play with the others?
(a) They often want to pretend to be other people.
(b) They are violent in their play.
(c) He doesn't like them.
(d) They don't like to play with David.
8. Who does David find he is most comfortable with?
(b) Truck drivers.
9. Where is David steered to earn money?
(a) Train stations.
(b) Ship yards.
(d) Boat docks.
10. What does the mother do that David dislikes?
(a) She feeds him.
(b) She questions him.
(c) She caresses him like a mother.
(d) She washes him.
11. What does David equate to the word want?
12. What does David do to the Swiss man that he has never done before?
(a) He waves at him.
(b) He beats him.
(c) He hugs him.
(d) He talks to him.
13. Who rescues David from the snow?
(a) The police.
(c) The army.
(d) A cruel farmer.
14. What does Sophie tell David he is welcome to do?
(a) Come with her to America.
(b) Come back to her when she returns from Rome.
(c) Leave Rome.
(d) Follow her to Rome.
15. What does the woman David meets wish to do?
(a) Listen to his story.
(b) Turn him in.
(c) Record his voice.
(d) Paint him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David realize the man in camp had been forcing him to drink?
2. What is revealed at the end of the chapter about Edith, the woman in the photograph?
3. What does David avoid entering Germany?
4. Who does David accidentally find on his way to Denmark?
5. Why can David not give the driver the address in Denmark?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)