|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was forbidden by the prisoners to talk about at the camp?
(b) The guards.
2. What does the family insist David do?
(a) Tell them where he is from.
(b) Work for them.
(c) Go home with them.
(d) Go with the police.
3. What does David decide at the end of Chapter One?
(a) That he wants to be caught.
(b) That he wants to die.
(c) That he wants to be a sailor.
(d) That he doesn't want to die.
4. Why did Johannes not want people in camp to tell David things of the outside world?
(a) He didn't want the guards to hear.
(b) He was jealous.
(c) He didn't want David to know about the real world.
(d) He didn't want him to want what he couldn't have.
5. What does David do once he is in the stream?
(a) He swims.
(b) He attempts to clean himself.
(c) He goes fishing.
(d) He cleans his feet.
6. What does David ask the couple to do while he gets help?
(a) Sit inside the car.
(b) Watch his bundle.
(c) Talk quietly.
(d) Pray for him.
7. What does David aim to become by washing himself of the camp?
(a) A new person.
(b) A regular boy.
(c) Just himself.
8. What does David believe about countries with kings?
(a) They are free.
(b) They are occupied.
(c) They are neutral.
(d) They are dangerous.
9. Why is David so enthralled by dinner?
(a) He has never eaten a meal outside the camp.
(b) He has never had porridge before.
(c) He has never used a knife before.
(d) He has never used a fork before.
10. What does David buy with his money?
(a) Scissors, a new compass, soap, and a knife.
(b) Bread, soap, a comb, scissors, a pencil, and paper.
(c) A comb, a knife, a new compass, and bread.
(d) A knife, soap, scissors, and bread.
11. What does David hear that makes him think of how a balloon must feel?
(b) The tide.
(d) A high pitched siren.
12. Why does David pick up the newspaper the food is wrapped in?
(a) So he can wrap his own food.
(b) So he can use it for fire.
(c) So he can practice reading.
(d) So he can use it as a blanket.
13. What does David vow never to enter, as he believes it to be dangerous?
(a) A church.
(b) A police station.
(c) A house.
(d) A store.
14. Where does David go when he arrives at the dock?
(a) On a bus.
(b) On a rowboat.
(c) Into the belly of a ship.
(d) On a train.
15. Who serves the family dinner?
(a) The children's' father.
(b) The children's' mother.
(c) The children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David see on the third evening that he wants to care for?
2. What does David believe the escape to be?
3. What does David do when he realizes he has to leave?
4. Why does David refuse to fight the boy who hits him?
5. How does David put out the fire in the girls hair?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)