|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Johannes not want people in camp to tell David things of the outside world?
(a) He was jealous.
(b) He didn't want him to want what he couldn't have.
(c) He didn't want David to know about the real world.
(d) He didn't want the guards to hear.
2. Who is present when the family arrives to help?
(b) The boy who beat him earlier.
(c) The police.
(d) The fire department.
3. What does David see on the third evening that he wants to care for?
(a) A kitten.
(b) A baby.
(c) A lamb.
(d) A puppy.
4. How does David determine which direction he is heading?
(a) By the position of the sun.
(b) By the signs.
(c) By moss on trees.
(d) By the position of the moon.
5. What does the family invite David to do?
(a) Go to church with them.
(b) Go to school with them.
(c) Go to town with them.
(d) Stay with them for a while.
6. What does David experience following the doctor's visit?
(a) Using a toilette.
(b) Taking a shower.
(c) Sleeping in a bed.
(d) Kissing a girl.
7. What does David ask God to help him with, in terms of transportation?
(a) He asks God to give him courage to hitchhike.
(b) He asks God to give him a horse.
(c) He asks God to help him find a bike.
(d) He asks God to give him a car.
8. Why does the woman not want her husband to give David money?
(a) She thinks he will steal it.
(b) She thinks he will be offended.
(c) She thinks he will want more.
(d) She thinks he will spend it foolishly.
9. What does the man on the boat give to David to help him in the water?
(a) A bobber.
(b) A raft.
(c) A rope.
(d) A life belt.
10. What does David struggle not to do as he lies awake?
11. What does David do to rid himself of the bad feelings the boy causes?
(a) Writes a poem.
(b) Washes himself thoroughly.
(c) Sings a song.
(d) Stares at the sky.
12. Where does David go when he arrives at the dock?
(a) On a bus.
(b) On a train.
(c) Into the belly of a ship.
(d) On a rowboat.
13. What does David decide at the end of Chapter One?
(a) That he wants to be a sailor.
(b) That he wants to die.
(c) That he doesn't want to die.
(d) That he wants to be caught.
14. Why does David require help getting dressed?
(a) His clothing is damaged, and hard to manage.
(b) He is sick from the smoke.
(c) He is burned badly.
(d) He has never dressed in fine clothing before.
15. What story does David concoct to explain his travels?
(a) He claims to be part of the circus.
(b) He claims to be a minister.
(c) He claims to be an orphan.
(d) He claims to be a prisoner of war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do houses mean for David?
2. What happened to the person who helped David in the camp while he was growing up?
3. What does David see that will work for shelter for him?
4. What does David decide to do at the beginning of Chapter Three, in terms of travel?
5. What has David never seen that would be helpful to determine where he needed to go?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)