|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora want to do that Vee refuses?
2. Why does Vee think Nora is crazy?
3. In what shape is Elliot when he comes to the farmhouse the next day?
4. What is Nora's mother planning to attend that evening?
5. Who doesn't seem to take much credence in Nora's story about her bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nora say to Vee about Elliot, how does Vee feel and what is Nora's response to Vee's feelings?
2. What does Nora realize after she sees some of Patch's past and what does he admit to her?
3. Who is in the ladies room when Nora goes to change back to her regular clothes and what does he say to her?
4. Where does Patch and Nora go, what does Patch do there and who does Nora meet and what does she find out about Patch from him?
5. Who does Nora meet when she is walking from the library, what does he say and what is her response?
6. Where does Nora go after biology class and what is she told?
7. What condition is Elliot in when he comes to the farmhouse and what does he do?
8. Who comes to Nora's house after the detectives questioning her about Marcie leave and what does he have with him?
9. Who comes to Nora's house after her incident when her mother goes to the office?
10. What does Nora do after the homeless woman is killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As in many fantasy novels, magic is an inherent part of a few of the characters and can be wielded by other characters, though not as an inherent aspect of their nature. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the use of magic in Hush, Hush. Who possesses paranormal abilities as an inherent aspect of their nature? How does the inequality between those who have paranormal abilities impact the plot of Hush, Hush?
2. Why do you think magic or special abilities exist in so many fantasy novels? Do you think a novel can be "fantasy" and there be no magic as a part of the storyline? Why or why not.
3. Would you desire to possess the ability to use magic if there were such a talent in our world? Why or why not? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of possessing such an ability?
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Becca Fitzpatrick.
2. What in Fitzpatrick's background may have helped him in writing Hush, Hush? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)