|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nora find Vee?
2. What can be assumed about people who sit together?
3. How does Nora manage to get out of an awkward situation with Patch?
4. What does Patch tell Nora to do?
5. Why does the Coach say it is important to know a person well?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nora tell Elliot not to do and what does she do about Patch at the arcade?
2. What wakes Nora in the middle of the night and what does she think about when it happens?
3. How does Vee end up with a broken arm?
4. What does Patch tell Nora when she calls him?
5. What is the assignment for the day in biology class?
6. Why does Nora leave the others, how does she feel when she goes outside and what do she and Patch do?
7. How does Nora find out something about Elliot's past and what does she find out?
8. What is Nora doing the next day in biology when coach is talking and what is she thinking about?
9. What happens when Nora is up to bat?
10. What does Patch do when coach asks him what he looks for in a potential mate and what does Nora do after class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Hush, Hush? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Hush, Hush including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Hush, Hush and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Hush, Hush belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Nora and Vee. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Patch and Jules. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Hush, Hush help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)