1. Where is the opening of the story set?
(a) Death Valley.
(c) The Loire Valley.
2. What is the year when the story opens?
3. What does Chauncey do at the opening of the story?
(a) Leaves his girlfriend.
(b) Kills his girlfriend.
(c) Duels another man and kills him accidentally.
(d) Has an affair with a married woman.
4. Why does Chauncey give away a silver buckle from his shoe?
(a) He throws it in the river.
(b) He gives it to a begger.
(c) He gives it to his brother to pay gambling debts.
(d) He gives it to the girlfriend he leaves.
5. Why does Chauncey not mind the dark night?
(a) He knows his way around the grounds.
(b) He wants to hide from his brother.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is sad.
6. What does the boy who approaches Chauncey claim?
(a) The boy is Chauncey's nephew.
(b) The boy is Chauncey's son.
(c) The boy is of the Devil's brood.
(d) The boy has something that belongs to Chauncey.
This section contains 4,549 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)