|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Filitov go after he learns of the spy aboard the Red October?
2. At the end of the novel, what happens to most of the characters?
3. Weapons on both sides can best be described as what on the tenth day?
4. Who are sent to inspect the Red October?
5. How is the Red October attempting to keep ships at a distance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Russians fire missiles at the American Tom Cats?
2. In relation to the plan to help some of the Russian sailors defect, what positive step occurs related to Ryan occurs on the twelfth day?
3. What is revealed about the identity of the Cardinal?
4. What argument does the President make when the Russian Ambassador accuses the Americans of trying to kidnap the crew of the Red October?
5. Why is the Konovalov ordered to stay behind?
6. How do the Americans plan to use Henderson?
7. Describe what the Americans find as they explore the Red October.
8. Describe Jack Ryan and what he feels is most important.
9. What does the radiation scare on the Red October allow the officers to do?
10. What happens in Moscow with the Politburo after the Red October situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing in detail what events led Ramius to decide to defect. Be sure to include specific details from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how the Soviet Party, which Ramius hated, was also responsible for making him into the man that he is and how this must be a troubling fact to the man. Remember to use specific examples from the text to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how well Ramius was prepared to successfully defect. Use specific events and details from the text to support your position.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)