|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which vessel does the pentagon decide should begin tracking the Red October?
2. Which of the following equipment can be used to track vessels and planes in the ocean?
3. Where is the crew of the Red October taken?
4. Which of the follow does the Dallas not send to the Red October?
5. Who finds a minor radiation leak on the Red October?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the chief engineer finds a minor radiation leak?
2. What is the purpose of the Ethan Allen in the plan?
3. What does the incident of the KGB agent almost lighting a cigarette near the oxygen tanks show to the reader?
4. Why is the Konovalov ordered to stay behind?
5. What is learned about the Ethan Allen on the tenth day?
6. What argument does the President make when the Russian Ambassador accuses the Americans of trying to kidnap the crew of the Red October?
7. What do the American Tom Cats do to make the Russian pilots think they are attacking?
8. What happens when the Russians fire missiles at the American Tom Cats?
9. Why do the Americans want to find the Red October?
10. What happens to the crew of the Red October after they are in Washington?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing what life was like for the lower classes during the Cold War in the USSR. Use examples from the text and other personal knowledge to support your description.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how in an action based novel could have more than one climax and why this might occur.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how an underlying theme of sabotage is woven throughout the novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your description.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)