|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is Ryan's code name?
2. Which character is more developed during the fourth day?
3. What do the officers of the suggest is causing the reactor scare?
4. Which of the following is the code name for Ryan's mission?
5. Which of the following characters is the captain of the USS Bremerton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ramius kill Putin?
2. Why is Ramius's letter delayed in it's arrival?
3. How does Jones contrast to his counterparts in the Soviet Navy?
4. What does Ramius do in order to get the things he wants?
5. What is revealed during the Politburo meeting?
6. What ultimatum does the President give to the Russian Ambassador?
7. Why is Jack Ryan called in?
8. Why doesn't the Bremerton do much to track the Red October?
9. How does show that Ramius has given much forethought to his planned defection?
10. Write about how the CIA offices differ from those meeting places used by the Soviets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how an underlying theme of sabotage is woven throughout the novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your description.
Essay Topic 2
Complete an analysis of the ability of the Americans to avert a true military crisis. Make a judgment as to the effectiveness of their plan and strategy.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Jack Ryan and how this character has changed throughout the novel. Be sure to include specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)