|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following would Jack Ryan be least interested in?
2. What does Ryan now think the Red October is planning to do?
3. Which character explains what the secret doors on the submarine are to Jack Ryan?
4. Which of the following is not a synonym for sabotage?
5. What is seen in the pictures that is worrisome?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ramius want the doctor and crew to think there was a radiation leak?
2. Which two characters entered the military even though they had other life plans?
3. What is Tyler thinking of after his discussion with Greer?
4. What is revealed during the Politburo meeting?
5. Write about how the CIA offices differ from those meeting places used by the Soviets?
6. What in this chapter symbolizes the many technical problems the Soviet Navy faces?
7. How does the US government learn that the Red October is trying to defect?
8. Of what importance is it that Ramius was raised by his grandmother in Lithuania?
9. Describe the relationship between Mancuso and Jones.
10. What does Jack Ryan do once Skip Tyler tells him what he thinks the purpose of the secret doors is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Have the students write an essay describing how the Russians must have felt the first time they were in the United States. Include many descriptors in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing about what may have happened to change the ending of the novel had the Konovalov not been destroyed by the Red October.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing and contrasting the USA and the Soviets based on specific events and descriptions within the text. Use many details from the text to construct your comparison.
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)