|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word describes the picture painted by Ramius of the Soviet government / lifestyle?
2. Which of the following is an idiom for the word spy?
3. What kind of ship is the USS New Jersey?
4. To whom does Tyler explain his plan for the crew of the Red October?
5. Which of the following is the captain of the USS Dallas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which two characters entered the military even though they had other life plans?
2. What is the spy ready to do if need be while on board the Red October?
3. How could Jones's relationship with the sonar equipment best be described?
4. Why did Ramius want the doctor and crew to think there was a radiation leak?
5. Name one thing that is hinted at but not explained fully on the ninth day.
6. What is Tyler thinking of after his discussion with Greer?
7. What does Ramius do in order to get the things he wants?
8. How does Jones contrast to his counterparts in the Soviet Navy?
9. Describe the relationship between Mancuso and Jones.
10. How does show that Ramius has given much forethought to his planned defection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on how the author of this novel uses suspense throughout the text to keep the reader engaged. Use information from the text to support your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how the Soviet Party, which Ramius hated, was also responsible for making him into the man that he is and how this must be a troubling fact to the man. Remember to use specific examples from the text to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing in detail what events led Ramius to decide to defect. Be sure to include specific details from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)