|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following would Jack Ryan be least interested in?
(a) War of 1812
(b) Current government overthrows
(c) Pearl Harbor
(d) General Lee's biography
2. Which of the following vessels was given orders to hunt down the Red October?
(a) USS Kennedy
(b) HMS Invincible
(c) The Konovalov
(d) USS Bremerton
3. How long was Jack Ryan's nap?
(a) 3 hours
(b) 12 hours
(c) 18 hours
(d) 8 hours
4. During what time frame does this novel take place?
(a) Korean War
(b) Iraq War
(c) Cold War
(d) Vietnam War
5. Which of the following is the name of the Russian submarine captained by Ramius?
(a) Red Hunt
(b) Red Eye
(c) Red October
(d) November's Red
Short Answer Questions
1. From what country is a submarine captain attempting to defect?
2. What information does the CIA learn about the Cardinal?
3. Which word best describes Sasha's relationship to Ramius?
4. Besides military secrets what else is Jack Ryan worried about?
5. What is Jack Ryan's specialty as related to the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't the Bremerton do much to track the Red October?
2. What ultimatum does the President give to the Russian Ambassador?
3. What are the US government officials attempting to avoid?
4. How could Jones's relationship with the sonar equipment best be described?
5. What in this chapter symbolizes the many technical problems the Soviet Navy faces?
6. Why are the Americans not worried that the Red October did not show up for their training exercises?
7. How does the US government learn that the Red October is trying to defect?
8. What does Ramius's letter tell the Soviet Navy?
9. What is Tyler thinking of after his discussion with Greer?
10. Whom does Ramius blame for the death of his wife?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)