|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season is it at the beginning of Part Four?
2. Which day is the narrator to meet Ylayali?
3. Who comes looking for the narrator as he is kicked out of his lodgings?
4. What does the landlord say is wrong with the old man?
5. Who starts singing while the narrator is staring out of the window?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the narrator leaves Ylayali's apartment.
2. Where does the narrator decide to live?
3. Who lives in the family room?
4. Why does the narrator not speak to the woman in black when he first sees her outside his apartment?
5. Why exactly does the narrator refuse the Chief's offer of an advance?
6. What happens to the narrator that makes him aware of his mental sluggishness?
7. A few days later, why is the narrator still sleeping in the family room?
8. How does Queeny offend the narrator?
9. Why is the narrator moved into the family room?
10. What happens to make the narrator lose faith in his play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fantasy plays a large role in this novel. Discuss the narrator and Ylayali's fantasies of one another. How do they differ from reality? How do you think they affect the character's actions?
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrator's pride doom him to failure? What does his working on a ship at the end of the novel show about his pride? What devices does Knut Hamsun use to explore the narrator's pride?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the meaning of 'kuboaa'. Why is the narrator afraid it might only mean yarn? What does this tell you about his self-regard?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)