|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the landlord say is wrong with the old man?
2. What does the narrator think the guest who takes his room does for a living?
3. What is the name of the ship about which the narrator asks the cripple?
4. What does the narrator see out of his window?
5. Of which room is the landlord peeking through the keyhole?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Queeny offend the narrator?
2. Why does the narrator not speak to the woman in black when he first sees her outside his apartment?
3. Why exactly does the narrator refuse the Chief's offer of an advance?
4. Why does the narrator not eat all of his cakes?
5. Why does the narrator put himself in view of The Chief?
6. What happens to make the narrator lose faith in his play?
7. Why does the narrator still try to force himself upon Ylayali?
8. Why do you think Ylayali is disappointed in the narrator?
9. A few days later, why is the narrator still sleeping in the family room?
10. What happens when the narrator goes to the grocer's to ask for a candle on credit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the meaning of 'kuboaa'. Why is the narrator afraid it might only mean yarn? What does this tell you about his self-regard?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's life. In what way is his life and personality reflected in the book? What was his experience of starvation and poverty?
Essay Topic 3
How does the book reflect the naturalist style of 19th century literature? Was Knut Hamsun influenced by any 19th century authors or philosophers?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)