|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes looking for the narrator as he is kicked out of his lodgings?
2. Of which room is the landlord peeking through the keyhole?
3. Who stops the landlady from evicting the narrator into the night?
4. Who is the cripple on the railway pier?
5. On what does the narrator jump in despair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator still try to force himself upon Ylayali?
2. Who lives in the family room?
3. How does the narrator act towards Ylayali once they are upstairs?
4. How does the narrator react to seeing Ylayali with 'The Duke'?
5. Why do Ylayali and the narrator go up to her apartment?
6. Why does the narrator not eat all of his cakes?
7. Why do you think Ylayali is disappointed in the narrator?
8. Why does the narrator not speak to the woman in black when he first sees her outside his apartment?
9. Describe how the narrator leaves Ylayali's apartment.
10. Why exactly does the narrator refuse the Chief's offer of an advance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of policemen in the novel. In what way does the author show a favorable attitude towards civil authority? What does this reveal about Knut Hamsun's own views?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the meaning of 'kuboaa'. Why is the narrator afraid it might only mean yarn? What does this tell you about his self-regard?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the late 1800s. In what way are the characters products of their time? Does the book express the changes in either Norway or America at the time?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)