|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of which room is the landlord peeking through the keyhole?
2. What do their two beating hearts sound like to the narrator?
3. What does the narrator do as he walks out backwards?
4. Where does the hired girl say she has seen the narrator?
5. About what does the narrator joke to himself as he talks to himself in his room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator react to seeing Ylayali with 'The Duke'?
2. Why is the captain of the Copégoro reluctant to hire the narrator, and what is his compromise?
3. How does the narrator act towards Ylayali once they are upstairs?
4. What convinces the narrator that he is sane?
5. How does Queeny offend the narrator?
6. Why does the narrator put himself in view of The Chief?
7. What happens to the narrator that makes him aware of his mental sluggishness?
8. What ails the narrator at the start of Part 3?
9. Why do you think Ylayali is disappointed in the narrator?
10. Where does the narrator decide to live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the book reflect the naturalist style of 19th century literature? Was Knut Hamsun influenced by any 19th century authors or philosophers?
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrator's pride doom him to failure? What does his working on a ship at the end of the novel show about his pride? What devices does Knut Hamsun use to explore the narrator's pride?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator's story is one of suffering. How does Knut Hamsun inject humor into the novel? How does the pace of the novel compare with the contents of the story? Do you think this is an effective literary device?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)