|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lights the narrator's cell?
2. What does the narrator discover in the darkness of his cell?
3. What does the clerk of the grocery store wrap up for the narrator when he enters?
4. What does the narrator order at the cafe in Stor Street?
5. What does the narrator buy to settle his stomach?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the narrator feeling when he leaves the apartment?
2. What criticism does the editor give the narrator over his articles?
3. Why is the narrator glad when the stable-boy asks him for five kroner?
4. Why is the narrator embarrassed by his blanket, and what does he do with it?
5. How does the narrator react to Queeny's advice on tailors?
6. Why do the passers-by anger the narrator?
7. Describe the narrator's apartment at the beginning of the novel.
8. What stories does the narrator tell to explain the package with his green blanket inside?
9. Of what does the narrator become terrified in the dark?
10. What are the narrator's worries about the word 'kuboaa'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hunger is written in the first person. Why do you think the author chose this voice? How do you think the effect of the book would be changed were the book written in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think are the main mistakes the narrator makes in the novel? Why does he keep missing opportunities for food and money? How would you react in a similar situation?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)