|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator decide to do to the woman?
2. What tickets does the Officer of the Day hand out?
3. What physical feature of the woman outside the butcher's shop nauseates the narrator?
4. What does the narrator intend to buy with the remaining money?
5. Where is the narrator sitting at the beginning of Part Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the narrator put into a reserved cell?
2. Why does the narrator stop to read the late editions of the newspapers, and for what does he apply?
3. How does the narrator react to Queeny's advice on tailors?
4. Why do the two shopkeepers refuse the narrator money?
5. What criticism does the editor give the narrator over his articles?
6. Why does the narrator suspect Scissors of trying to drive him away?
7. What practical joke does the narrator decide to play on the passing policeman?
8. What does the narrator find sitting on his bedside table when he returns to his old apartment?
9. Why does the narrator become annoyed with the old man?
10. Why does Mr. Christie reject the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the late 1800s. In what way are the characters products of their time? Does the book express the changes in either Norway or America at the time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the statement at the beginning of the novel, "This wonderous city that no one leaves before it has made its marks upon him." How does the author develop the ambiguity in this sentence? How do the other characters in the book seem to be living?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of nameless characters in the book. How do they enhance the naturalism?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)