|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what does the old man stare when the narrator gives him his the money?
2. What does the narrator owe Hans Pauli?
3. What does the narrator decide to do to the woman?
4. What is on the menu at the Steam Kitchen?
5. By what is the girl shocked when she comes up to the narrator in the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's apartment at the beginning of the novel.
2. How do the policemen throughout the novel treat the narrator?
3. Why does the narrator start crying?
4. How has the narrator's poverty already been revealed to the reader?
5. How does the narrator react to the organ-grinder's daughter's silence?
6. What does the narrator find sitting on his bedside table when he returns to his old apartment?
7. Why does the narrator suspect Scissors of trying to drive him away?
8. What lie does the narrator invent to explain why he returned for the pencil?
9. Why does the narrator become annoyed with the old man?
10. Why does the narrator decide to return to his old apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book. How does the author drive the narrative? How does the book's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrator's pride doom him to failure? What does his working on a ship at the end of the novel show about his pride? What devices does Knut Hamsun use to explore the narrator's pride?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the late 1800s. In what way are the characters products of their time? Does the book express the changes in either Norway or America at the time?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)