|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item of clothing does the narrator pawn?
2. What does the clerk of the grocery store wrap up for the narrator when he enters?
3. What of the narrator's is whipped by the hayracks?
4. What does the narrator want to buy when he tries to find the banker for the second time?
5. For whom does the woman mistake the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's fantasy of Princess Ylayali's castle.
2. Of what does the narrator become terrified in the dark?
3. How does the narrator treat the two women?
4. What criticism does the editor give the narrator over his articles?
5. Why does the narrator stop to read the late editions of the newspapers, and for what does he apply?
6. Why does the narrator start crying?
7. How does the narrator react to Queeny's advice on tailors?
8. Why is the narrator put into a reserved cell?
9. How does the narrator punish himself for nearly asking the editor for money?
10. How do the hayracks treat the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the parallels between the narrator's surroundings and his mental state. How do the narrator's surroundings affect his writing? How are his thoughts influenced by being in certain locations, such as by a church or at the pier?
Essay Topic 2
Hunger is written in the first person. Why do you think the author chose this voice? How do you think the effect of the book would be changed were the book written in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrator's pride doom him to failure? What does his working on a ship at the end of the novel show about his pride? What devices does Knut Hamsun use to explore the narrator's pride?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)