|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator see out of his window?
(a) An apothecary.
(b) A fire.
(c) Children playing.
(d) A courtyard.
2. What is the Copégoro unloading?
3. On what does the narrator jump in despair?
(a) One foot.
(b) A puddle.
(c) His hat.
(d) His jacket.
4. For what does Ylayali reach that tells the narrator she wants him to leave?
(a) Her cape.
(b) Her blouse.
(c) Her hat.
(d) Her shawl.
5. Where does the hired girl say she has seen the narrator?
(a) The Promenade.
(b) The Opera House.
(c) The Royal Castle.
(d) The Church of Our Saviour.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what do the landlady's daughters tease the old man?
2. What does the landlady ask the narrator to look over?
3. What does the narrator knock over as he struggles with Ylayali?
4. Where is the Copégoro going after Leeds?
5. What is the landlady doing while the narrator is trying to write in the family-room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator not eat all of his cakes?
2. What happens to the narrator that makes him aware of his mental sluggishness?
3. Why does the narrator still try to force himself upon Ylayali?
4. What convinces the narrator that he is sane?
5. Describe how the narrator leaves Ylayali's apartment.
6. What happens to make the narrator lose faith in his play?
7. How does the narrator react to seeing Ylayali with 'The Duke'?
8. Why is the captain of the Copégoro reluctant to hire the narrator, and what is his compromise?
9. Where does the narrator decide to live?
10. What happens when the narrator goes to the grocer's to ask for a candle on credit?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)