|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color are the feathers in the women's hats?
2. What does the old man say he needs money to buy?
(a) A pair of shoes.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(c) A glass of milk.
3. Who wakes the narrator when he falls asleep on the park bench
(a) His landlady.
(b) A policeman.
(c) A park attendant.
(d) The old man.
4. What does the narrator call the editor?
(a) The King.
(b) The Chief.
(c) The Captain.
(d) The Duke.
5. To what does the narrator compare the wastebasket in the editor's office?
(a) Endless pit.
(b) Lion's maw.
(c) Wolf's maw.
(d) Dragon's maw.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Christie decide against employing the narrator?
2. From what is the dog's collar made?
3. Where does the narrator try for money right after being refused by Cisler?
4. What does the narrator owe Hans Pauli?
5. For what change does the editor ask in the sketch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator react to Queeny's advice on tailors?
2. Why do the passers-by anger the narrator?
3. How does the narrator punish himself for nearly asking the editor for money?
4. Describe the narrator's fantasy of Princess Ylayali's castle.
5. Why does the narrator decide to return to his old apartment?
6. How does the narrator view the red rocking chair when he decides to leave his apartment for good?
7. How do the policemen throughout the novel treat the narrator?
8. What lie does the narrator invent to explain why he returned for the pencil?
9. What does the narrator find sitting on his bedside table when he returns to his old apartment?
10. Why is the narrator put into a reserved cell?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)