|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of cheese had the landlady bought?
2. What is the Chief doing at the pier?
(a) Going fishing.
(b) Waiting for a train.
(c) Looking for the narrator.
(d) Boarding a ship.
3. Why does Ylayali move away when the narrator tries to take her hand the first time?
(a) She is testing him.
(b) She doesn't like his appearance.
(c) He bores her.
(d) He is too bold.
4. What does the landlady give to the narrator that he refuses?
(a) A blanket.
(b) Bowl of soup.
(d) Bread and butter.
5. What color are the hired girl's eyes?
6. What does Ylayali accuse the narrator of being?
7. Who is the cripple on the railway pier?
(a) The welt-binder.
(b) Jans the stable boy.
(c) The editor.
8. About what does the narrator joke to himself as he talks to himself in his room?
(c) His landlady.
9. At whom does the narrator throw his money?
(a) A cake-seller.
(b) A beggar.
(c) His landlady.
(d) The police.
10. What does the narrator do as he walks out backwards?
(a) Bumps his head.
(b) Collapses on his injured foot.
(c) Bumps his shoulder.
(d) Trips and falls.
11. What does the landlady ask the narrator to look over?
(a) A letter.
(b) A newspaper article.
(c) An eviction notice.
(d) A grocery bill.
12. What is the name of the dockworker playing cards with the landlady's husband?
13. How does the narrator see Ylayali when she reaches her hand out to him as he leaves?
(a) With mistrust.
(b) With loathing.
(c) With fear.
(d) With adoration.
14. Where does the narrator pass as he walks home from stealing a cab ride?
(a) The police station.
(b) His old apartment.
(c) The newspaper offices.
(d) A gallery.
15. On what does the narrator jump in despair?
(a) A puddle.
(b) His hat.
(c) His jacket.
(d) One foot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character of the narrator's proposed play, 'The Sign of the Cross'?
2. What is the Copégoro unloading?
3. What is the weather like on the morning of the narrator's date with Ylayali?
4. What happens to the narrator after visiting the grocer's for the second time?
5. Who tries breaking up the children's fight physically?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)