|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What season is it at the beginning of Part Four?
2. What does the narrator knock over as he struggles with Ylayali?
(a) A vase.
(b) The table.
(c) A lamp.
(d) The candle.
3. By what is the narrator hit?
(a) A butcher's cart.
(b) A grocer's cart.
(c) A bread-cart.
(d) A hay-rack.
4. What is the prominent feature of the man spitting onto the child playing in the street?
(a) His red beard.
(b) He is wearing a red cravat.
(c) He is wearing a top hat.
(d) His red hair.
5. For what does the narrator ask from the lame man at the railway pier?
6. What noise disturbs the narrator from continuing with his play?
(a) Children laughing.
(b) Children playing.
(c) Children shouting.
(d) Children crying.
7. Who does the narrator realize is responsible for sending the 10-kroner note?
(b) The Chief.
(c) Hans Pauli.
(d) The Director.
8. What does the narrator do as he walks out backwards?
(a) Trips and falls.
(b) Collapses on his injured foot.
(c) Bumps his head.
(d) Bumps his shoulder.
9. Where had Queeny met Ylayali for the first time?
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) By a bookstore.
(c) By the river.
(d) In a hotel.
10. What does the landlady give to the narrator that he refuses?
(b) Bowl of soup.
(c) Bread and butter.
(d) A blanket.
11. How does the narrator act on leaving Ylayali?
12. What does the landlord call the old man?
(a) Old donkey.
(b) Old pig.
(c) Old horse.
(d) Old goat.
13. What does the narrator want to do before leaving Ylayali?
(a) Kneel before her.
(b) Laugh at her.
(c) Kiss her.
(d) Slap her.
14. What does the narrator see out of his window?
(a) A fire.
(b) A courtyard.
(c) Children playing.
(d) An apothecary.
15. Who is the main character of the narrator's proposed play, 'The Sign of the Cross'?
(a) A prostitute.
(b) A widow.
(c) A nun.
(d) A priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ylayali move away when the narrator tries to take her hand the first time?
2. In what language was Hunger originally written?
3. What color dress is Ylayali wearing when the narrator sees her with The Duke?
4. What does the landlord say is wrong with the old man?
5. What is the Chief doing at the pier?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)