|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the narrator after visiting the grocer's for the second time?
(a) He gets work.
(b) He becomes homeless.
(c) He develops a fever.
(d) He is sent to prison.
2. What color dress is Ylayali wearing when the narrator sees her with The Duke?
3. Who stops the landlady from evicting the narrator into the night?
(a) The children.
(b) Her husband.
(c) The old man.
(d) The hired girl.
4. What does the narrator knock over as he struggles with Ylayali?
(a) A lamp.
(b) The candle.
(c) A vase.
(d) The table.
5. What is the prominent feature of the man spitting onto the child playing in the street?
(a) He is wearing a top hat.
(b) His red hair.
(c) His red beard.
(d) He is wearing a red cravat.
6. Where does the hired girl say she has seen the narrator?
(a) The Promenade.
(b) The Church of Our Saviour.
(c) The Opera House.
(d) The Royal Castle.
7. What part of the narrator's body is injured when he is hit by the cart?
(a) His head.
(b) His arm.
(c) His foot.
(d) His hands.
8. Which day is the narrator to meet Ylayali?
9. What is the Copégoro unloading?
10. What kind of cake does the narrator take from the seller's table?
(a) Iced sponge.
(b) Currant roll.
(c) French roll.
(d) Cheese bun.
11. What sound does the narrator hear when he is working in the sailor's room?
(a) A fight.
12. How does Ylayali hide her shyness at her opened corset?
(a) By running away.
(b) By scolding him.
(c) By asking about his hair.
(d) By pushing him away.
13. What does the landlord say is wrong with the old man?
(a) He is paralyzed.
(b) He is fevered.
(c) He is violent.
(d) He is simple-minded.
14. With what does the narrator insist the cart of potatoes is filled?
15. Where does the narrator resort to writing after losing his room?
(a) The stairway.
(b) The street.
(c) The roof.
(d) The hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the landlady ask the narrator to look over?
2. What does the landlord call the old man?
3. Who comes looking for the narrator as he is kicked out of his lodgings?
4. Where does the narrator suggest to go with Ylayali?
5. Where does the narrator leave his offering for the boy to find?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)