|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator offer the old man who sits down on his bench?
(a) His coupons.
(b) His painting.
(c) A drink.
(d) A cigarette.
2. Why does the narrator's friend not buy anything from him?
(a) He is offended.
(b) He is unfriendly.
(c) He has no money.
(d) He is uninterested.
3. At what does the old man stare when the narrator gives him his the money?
(a) The sky.
(b) The narrator's trousers.
(c) His feet.
(d) The bakery.
4. What does the narrator worry about as he sits outside Our Saviour's Church?
(a) His supper.
(b) His outburst at Queeny.
(c) The quality of his article.
(d) His rent.
5. Where does the narrator tell the old man he lives?
(a) Royal Gardens.
(b) Graensen Street.
(c) St. Olaf's Place.
(d) Karl Johan Street.
6. To what does the narrator liken the old man as he climbs the hill?
(a) A fish.
(b) A mule.
(c) A bear.
(d) An insect.
7. What does the narrator buy to settle his stomach?
(d) Boiled milk.
8. Who does Queeny recommend to the narrator?
(a) His tailor.
(b) His seamstress.
(c) His publisher.
(d) His butcher.
9. Why does the narrator give up on his idea of writing "Crimes of the Future"?
(a) It is too elementary.
(b) It is too boring.
(c) It is too long-winded.
(d) It is too complicated.
10. Of what are the walls of the final chamber made in the narrator's fantasy?
11. What reason does the narrator give to the policeman for sitting on the house stoop?
12. Who does the narrator overtake as he leaves the park to return to the pawnshop?
(a) Two women.
(b) His landlady.
(c) A gardener.
(d) Two nursemaids.
13. What does the narrator make from the blank piece of paper in his pocket?
(a) A cornucopia.
(b) A bird.
(c) An envelope.
(d) A boat.
14. What has the narrator lost when he arrives back home?
(a) His hat.
(b) A letter.
(c) His manuscript.
(d) His keys.
15. What does the narrator find in his pawned waistcoat pocket?
(a) Pawnshop tickets.
(c) An address.
(d) An invitation.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his desperation, what does the narrator intend to sell to the pawnbroker?
2. What is the old man's profession?
3. What makes the narrator cry?
4. What does the clerk of the grocery store wrap up for the narrator when he enters?
5. What lights the narrator's cell?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)