|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Christie decide against employing the narrator?
(a) Doesn't like his name.
(b) Wrong date on the application.
(c) Bad handwriting on the application.
(d) Doesn't like his appearance.
2. What can the narrator hear coming from the Student's Promenade?
(a) A student shouting.
(b) Loud laughter.
(c) Band music.
(d) Voices arguing.
3. About what food does the narrator fantasize as he walks away?
(a) Rye bread.
4. Who has sent the letter to him?
(a) Hans Pauli.
(b) The police.
(c) His landlady.
(d) The editor.
5. What does the old man say he needs money to buy?
(b) A glass of milk.
(c) A pair of shoes.
(d) A loaf of bread.
6. What is the woman outside the pawnshop carrying when the narrator leaves the building for the second time?
(a) A small dog.
(b) A bunch of flowers.
(c) A hat box.
(d) A suitcase.
7. What does the narrator tell Queeny is in his package?
8. What tickets does the Officer of the Day hand out?
(a) Healthcare tickets.
(b) Rent tickets.
(c) Clothing tickets.
(d) Food tickets.
9. How does the narrator get Pastor Levison's address?
(a) Church of Our Saviour.
(b) A beggar.
(c) Pascha's Bookstore.
(d) A policeman.
10. What does the narrator decide to do to the woman?
(a) Ignore her.
(b) Seduce her.
(c) Steal from her.
(d) Frighten her.
11. What does the narrator make a habit of eating to stave off hunger?
(b) Wood shavings.
12. What is the stonecutter wearing in the Cemetery of Christ?
(a) Red overalls.
(b) Black polished shoes.
(c) Blue spectacles.
(d) A green cap.
13. Why does the woman's friend think the narrator is acting so strangely?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) He is a thief.
(c) He is a beggar.
(d) He is mad.
14. What newspaper covers the walls of the narrator's apartment?
(a) New York Herald.
(b) Evening Standard.
(c) Boston Post.
(d) The Morning Times.
15. From what is the dog's collar made?
(a) Brazilian gold.
(b) Mexican silver.
(c) Moroccan leather.
(d) Iron chains.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does the woman mistake the narrator?
2. What falls out of the narrator's pocket as he takes out his papers?
3. What does the narrator find on the table of his apartment?
4. What does the narrator call the woman who appears at the window of 2 St. Olaf's Place?
5. Where does the narrator decide to sleep for the night?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)