|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is on the menu at the Steam Kitchen?
(c) Bread and cheese.
(d) Corned meat.
2. What does the narrator say his landlord does for a profession?
(a) A shipworker.
(b) A stevedore.
(c) A journalist.
(d) A businessman.
3. In his desperation, what does the narrator intend to sell to the pawnbroker?
(a) His shirt.
(b) His trousers.
(c) His shoes.
(d) His buttons.
4. What kind of job opening does the narrator see?
5. What has the narrator lost when he arrives back home?
(a) A letter.
(b) His hat.
(c) His keys.
(d) His manuscript.
6. What physical feature of the woman outside the butcher's shop nauseates the narrator?
(a) Her single eye.
(b) Her single yellow tooth.
(c) Her scarred face.
(d) An amputated leg.
7. What color are the feathers in the women's hats?
8. What does the narrator make from the blank piece of paper in his pocket?
(a) An envelope.
(b) A bird.
(c) A boat.
(d) A cornucopia.
9. What does the narrator decide to sell to his friend in addition to barber's coupons?
(a) His jacket.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His blanket.
(d) His tie.
10. What does the narrator buy for his breakfast?
(a) A side of beef.
(b) A plate of potatoes.
(c) Some eggs.
(d) Bread and cheese.
11. For what reason does C. Zacharias Bartel think the narrator has visited him?
(b) A bed for the night.
(d) A painting.
12. Why does Mr. Christie decide against employing the narrator?
(a) Doesn't like his name.
(b) Wrong date on the application.
(c) Doesn't like his appearance.
(d) Bad handwriting on the application.
13. Why can't the narrator sell his glasses?
(a) They're scratched.
(b) They're broken.
(c) They're bent.
(d) They're steel-rimmed.
14. What name does the narrator give to the Officer on Duty?
(b) Hans Pauli.
(c) Andreas Tangen.
15. To what does the narrator liken the old man as he climbs the hill?
(a) A bear.
(b) An insect.
(c) A fish.
(d) A mule.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has sent the letter to him?
2. What falls out of the narrator's pocket as he takes out his papers?
3. What does Miss Andersen sell?
4. What item of clothing does the narrator pawn?
5. What does the narrator owe Hans Pauli?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)