|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator think wakes him up the evening after sleeping by the church?
(a) His old landlady.
(b) The vicar.
(c) A policeman.
(d) An old friend.
2. What has the narrator left in the pawn shop?
(a) His pencil.
(b) His writing paper.
(c) His cap.
(d) His pen.
3. What does the narrator decide to sell to his friend in addition to barber's coupons?
(a) His tie.
(b) His blanket.
(c) His shoes.
(d) His jacket.
4. What does the narrator worry about as he sits outside Our Saviour's Church?
(a) The quality of his article.
(b) His rent.
(c) His supper.
(d) His outburst at Queeny.
5. To what does the narrator liken the old man as he climbs the hill?
(a) A fish.
(b) A bear.
(c) A mule.
(d) An insect.
6. What does the narrator discover in the darkness of his cell?
(a) A new word.
(c) A rat.
(d) His keys.
7. What name does the narrator give to the Officer on Duty?
(b) Hans Pauli.
(d) Andreas Tangen.
8. What does the narrator call the woman who appears at the window of 2 St. Olaf's Place?
9. How does the narrator get Pastor Levison's address?
(a) Pascha's Bookstore.
(b) Church of Our Saviour.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A beggar.
10. What does the narrator say is the nicest object in his apartment?
(a) The painting.
(b) The rocking chair.
(c) The double bed.
(d) The stove.
11. What does the narrator find in his pawned waistcoat pocket?
(a) An invitation.
(c) An address.
(d) Pawnshop tickets.
12. What color are the feathers in the women's hats?
13. What does Miss Andersen sell?
14. Of what country does the narrator say his landlord was Prime Minister?
15. Where is the editor sitting when the narrator arrives back at the newspaper office?
(a) Watching the door.
(b) Facing the wall.
(c) Behind the door.
(d) Facing the window.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom does the stonecutter remind the narrator?
2. What is the old man's profession?
3. What does the narrator call the editor?
4. Where does the narrator decide to go to write for the day after seeing Hans Pauli?
5. What is the time of year at the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)