Part 1, pages 1-19
• The narrator lives in an attic room in Christiana. The year is some time in the 1800s. He has sold most of his possessions to a pawnbroker, whom he calls 'Uncle.' He has no other way to earn money, and has not paid his rent for some time.
• Knowing his landlady will soon come to collect money from him, he slips quietly out into the streets.
• The narrator sees Hans Pauli. Hans owes the narrator money, but the narrator has Hans' blanket and so does not ask for the money back.
• An old man walking in front of him annoys the narrator by walking too slowly. However, he soon takes pity on him, and pawns his waistcoat just so he can give him some money.
• The narrator goes to the park, but has to return to the pawnshop to reclaim his pencil.
• On the...
This section contains 1,631 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)