|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Humboldt name after, according to his Uncle Waldemar?
2. How does Renata feel about going with Charlie to see Waldemar in the nursing home?
3. What does Julius want Charlie to do if he should die on the operating table?
4. Why is it that Corcoran feels at first that he cannot publish his book?
5. What produces autonomous beings that appear animated, giddy, and free but in the final analysis are boring and of little relevance?
Short Essay Questions
1. During Charlie's visit with Naomi, why does Naomi believe the two of them would never have made a lasting relationship together?
2. How does Corcoran in the "Treatment" end up losing even though his book is a great success?
3. Why does Charlie begin to cry while watching the film in Paris with Rinaldo?
4. When Charlie offers to put up the ransom for the return of Pierre, how does he expect to be repaid?
5. What is Charlie hoping to receive as he has now lived at the pension with Roger for ten weeks?
6. What is the relationship between Huggins and Charlie?
7. What are Charlie's and Julius's feelings about death?
8. How does the reader come to realize how close Humboldt must have felt towards Uncle Waldemar?
9. What happens to Corcoran's outlook when he repeats his romantic trip with his wife?
10. What does Renata think will happen to Charlie if he goes to Texas to see Julius?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It becomes clear in the story that Renata is a plus for Charlie in many ways. What are Renata's attributes that are especially good for Charlie?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast these characters: Von Humboldt Fleisher and Charlie Citrine.
Essay Topic 3
How is the character of Renata developed in Section 12?
What characteristics does the author layer on her to make her a more sympathetic character?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)