|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julius do with the food he buys for Hortense?
2. What does Charlie ask Renata to do for him when they see the wheelchairs on the porch of the nursing home?
3. What is Naomi's new last name?
4. What does Charlie promise to do for Waldemar even if the papers contain nothing valuable?
5. How does Humboldt address Charlie in his posthumous letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Charlie have confidence in PIerre Thaxter's ability to get help for him while in jail?
2. How does Charlie's theory that some people have no use for their gifts and can think only of overcoming their weaknesses apply to Charlie and Humboldt?
3. Why does Charlie fail to say anything when Renata tells him the operator at the Plaza called her Mrs. Citrine?
4. What is the state of Charlie's life and state of mind in Section 16 as he lives in Madrid?
5. Why does Charlie feel compelled to continue the work of the dead?
6. What is Humboldt's Uncle Waldemar afraid that Charlie might do when he is given the envelope?
7. Why does Charlie begin to cry while watching the film in Paris with Rinaldo?
8. How does the reader come to realize how close Humboldt must have felt towards Uncle Waldemar?
9. When Charlie offers to put up the ransom for the return of Pierre, how does he expect to be repaid?
10. Why does Naomi beg George to take her son with him to Africa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast these characters: Von Humboldt Fleisher and Charlie Citrine.
Essay Topic 2
When Charlie meets Cantabile at the Russian Baths, Cantabile intends to either hurt or humiliate Charlie. At the end of this section, Cantabile takes a different approach with Charlie.
Has Cantabile's need for Charlie's help changed his relationship with him?
What does Cantabile expect from Charlie in terms of a social relationship of any kind?
Should Charlie, in your opinion, acquiesce and help him?
Essay Topic 3
It becomes clear in the story that Renata is a plus for Charlie in many ways. What are Renata's attributes that are especially good for Charlie?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)