|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Thaxter in Argentina?
2. What is Guido Stronson trying to do that has Rinaldo furious?
3. What does Charlie tell Waldemar could be in the envelope Humboldt left for him?
4. Where does the final scene in the book take place?
5. What is Humboldt's gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Renata's opinions about Charlie's thoughts about death?
2. Why does Naomi beg George to take her son with him to Africa?
3. When Charlie offers to put up the ransom for the return of Pierre, how does he expect to be repaid?
4. How does Charlie's theory that some people have no use for their gifts and can think only of overcoming their weaknesses apply to Charlie and Humboldt?
5. What does Renata think will happen to Charlie if he goes to Texas to see Julius?
6. Why does Charlie fail to say anything when Renata tells him the operator at the Plaza called her Mrs. Citrine?
7. During Charlie's visit with Naomi, why does Naomi believe the two of them would never have made a lasting relationship together?
8. How does Charlie explain his relationship with Roger to people abroad?
9. What is the relationship between Huggins and Charlie?
10. What happens to Corcoran's outlook when he repeats his romantic trip with his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the character of Renata developed in Section 12?
What characteristics does the author layer on her to make her a more sympathetic character?
Essay Topic 2
Consider Demmie's character. In Section 4, she is portrayed as both the "farmer's daughter" and a young lady of breeding. How is Demmie expressed to Charlie through her sleep patterns? How many layers are there to Demmie, especially as she sleeps?
Essay Topic 3
In one of Charlie's conversations with Dr. Scheldt, he says, "Death is the dark backing that a mirror needs if we are to see anything."
What is the meaning of this statement?
How does the comparison of death and a mirror have special meaning to Charlie?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)