|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Judge bring up as someone whose unique ideas made millions?
2. Who is Desperate Ambrose?
3. What is the reason Magnasco does not want to call the police on Humboldt?
4. What kind of business does Frank Tigler own?
5. Why does Srole think Urbanovich wants to help Denise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Charlie plays racquetball with Vito LangobardiIn, a big-time hoodlum. In what way is Charlie attached to Vito?
2. How has Cantabile's attitude towards Charlie changed?
3. What are Charlie's ideas concerning boredom?
4. What is Humboldt's reaction when Charlie tells him that the Chair, Ricketts, cannot give Humboldt a Poetry Chair because of budgetary reasons?
5. What does Humboldt believe Kathleen's father did to her to keep her away from Humboldt?
6. Humboldt cashes in Charlie's "blood-brother" check. How is this done at a very bad time in Charlie's life?
7. Which of Charlie's family members does he briefly compare Langobardi to?
8. What does Canabile seem to want from Charlie other than help for his wife?
9. How does Denise keep up-to-date on world news to prepare for a cultural evening at the White House?
10. When Charlie returns to Chicago after ignoring Humboldt on the streets of New York, he tells Denise about the incident. What, in his story about being on the helicopter with Dr. Longstaff from the old days, is ironic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider Demmie's character. In Section 4, she is portrayed as both the "farmer's daughter" and a young lady of breeding. How is Demmie expressed to Charlie through her sleep patterns? How many layers are there to Demmie, especially as she sleeps?
Essay Topic 2
In one of Charlie's conversations with Dr. Scheldt, he says, "Death is the dark backing that a mirror needs if we are to see anything."
What is the meaning of this statement?
How does the comparison of death and a mirror have special meaning to Charlie?
Essay Topic 3
It becomes clear in the story that Renata is a plus for Charlie in many ways. What are Renata's attributes that are especially good for Charlie?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)