|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Julius's wife?
2. What happens to Thaxter in Argentina?
(a) He is supposedly kidnapped for ransom.
(b) He finds money in bilyrrium.
(c) He runs into George and Naomi's son.
(d) He writes a new film script.
3. Why is Senor Biferno angry with Renata?
(a) He believes she is a gold-digger.
(b) Renata's mother has sued him for back child support.
(c) She is not the rich daughter he wanted.
(d) He is disappointed at the way she has turned out.
4. Who has Humboldt based his "Treatment" on?
(a) George Swiebel.
(d) Von Trenck.
5. What is it that Charlie believes Cantabile loves to make?
(c) Conversation with Charlie.
(d) Plans to join the Mafia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie tell Waldemar could be in the envelope Humboldt left for him?
2. What does Corcoran do in Section III of "Treatment?"
3. After his surgery, what does Julius want Charlie to do for up to $8,000?
4. Why does Cantabile bring Charlie with him to visit Stronson?
5. What does Denise let Charlie know via a note from his daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Humboldt's letter to Charlie, why does Charlie figure so prominently in his obsessions?
2. How does Corcoran in the "Treatment" end up losing even though his book is a great success?
3. What happens to Corcoran's outlook when he repeats his romantic trip with his wife?
4. Why does Charlie believe that he cannot ask Renata to accompany him and the two older men from the nursing home out to lunch?
5. During Charlie's visit with Naomi, why does Naomi believe the two of them would never have made a lasting relationship together?
6. What thoughts does Charlie have during the intermission of a Christmas Pageant he is attending with his children?
7. What is Humboldt's Uncle Waldemar afraid that Charlie might do when he is given the envelope?
8. How does the reader come to realize how close Humboldt must have felt towards Uncle Waldemar?
9. What are Charlie's and Julius's feelings about death?
10. What is the relationship between Huggins and Charlie?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)