|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Humboldt's gift?
(a) A pawn check for Oriental rugs.
(b) A love letter from Kathleen.
(c) A treatment for a screenplay.
(d) An Oldsmobile.
2. What does Charlie buy on Wacker Drive?
(a) A plane ticket.
(b) A bulb.
(c) A tube.
(d) A toy for his daughters.
3. Who ended up taking most of Humboldt's papers, clothes, and valuables?
(c) His gambling uncle, Waldemar.
4. Charlie relates to Naomi the details of Demmie's death. When Charlie flies down to South America to look for Demmie's body, what is Charlie thinking as he sits with the pilot?
(a) "Demmie must still be alive."
(b) "Let this plane crash, too."
(c) "I wish I could fly the plan myself."
(d) "What were Demmie's last thoughts?"
5. What is Guido Stronson trying to do that has Rinaldo furious?
(a) Murder Judge Urbanovich.
(b) Scam the Mafia
(c) Put a hit on Rinaldo.
(d) Make a move on Polly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julius want Charlie to do if he should die on the operating table?
2. Where does Charlie get the money to pay for the $200,000 bond?
3. How does Charlie get Waldemar to finally show him the contents of the envelope Humboldt has left him?
4. How does Charlie plan to come up with the seed money to get in on Julius's new venture?
5. What is Kafka's description of Steiner?
Short Essay Questions
1. During Charlie's visit with Naomi, why does Naomi believe the two of them would never have made a lasting relationship together?
2. What thoughts does Charlie have during the intermission of a Christmas Pageant he is attending with his children?
3. Why does Maggie plead Charlie's case to Stronson and get the charges dropped?
4. What is the relationship between Huggins and Charlie?
5. Why does Charlie feel compelled to continue the work of the dead?
6. What is Humboldt's Uncle Waldemar afraid that Charlie might do when he is given the envelope?
7. As Charlie thinks about oblivion and death as being all we have to expect out of this world, what options present themselves to him in order to meet this end?
8. When Charlie offers to put up the ransom for the return of Pierre, how does he expect to be repaid?
9. How does the reader come to realize how close Humboldt must have felt towards Uncle Waldemar?
10. What is Charlie hoping to receive as he has now lived at the pension with Roger for ten weeks?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)