|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who informs Charlie that the IRS will not leave Charlie alone?
2. Who does the Stronson's receptionist turn out to be?
(a) Naomi Lutz's daughter.
(b) Doris' father.
(c) The Senora.
(d) Denise's travel agent.
3. What does Julius do with the food he buys for Hortense?
(a) He leaves it locked up in the Cadillac.
(b) He forgets to bring it home.
(c) He give it to the Cubans.
(d) He eats it.
4. What does Julius want Charlie to do if he should die on the operating table?
(a) Go forward with the Cubans.
(b) Sell his home for him.
(c) Marry Renata.
(d) Marry Hortense.
5. Who is the main character in Humboldt's "Treatment?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Humboldt name after, according to his Uncle Waldemar?
2. What happens to Thaxter in Argentina?
3. Where does Kathleen invite Charlie to go?
4. What does Charlie buy on Wacker Drive?
5. Who does Charlie run into during intermission at the Christmas Pageant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Charlie's and Julius's feelings about death?
2. What is the state of Charlie's life and state of mind in Section 16 as he lives in Madrid?
3. Why does Maggie plead Charlie's case to Stronson and get the charges dropped?
4. When Charlie offers to put up the ransom for the return of Pierre, how does he expect to be repaid?
5. How does Charlie's theory that some people have no use for their gifts and can think only of overcoming their weaknesses apply to Charlie and Humboldt?
6. What happens to Corcoran's outlook when he repeats his romantic trip with his wife?
7. Why does Naomi beg George to take her son with him to Africa?
8. As Charlie thinks about oblivion and death as being all we have to expect out of this world, what options present themselves to him in order to meet this end?
9. What thoughts does Charlie have during the intermission of a Christmas Pageant he is attending with his children?
10. Does Charlie have confidence in PIerre Thaxter's ability to get help for him while in jail?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)