|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Humboldt (in his letter) give as his reason for using the blood-brother check?
(a) He was destitute.
(b) He thought it would bring Charlie to him.
(c) Anger at Charlie for not visiting him in Bellevue.
(d) Kathleen made him do it.
2. What does Charlie tell Pierre they must do about plans to publish The Ark?
(a) Get a new editor.
(b) Sell the idea to Cantabile.
(c) Give it up.
(d) Get out an issue immediately.
3. What film does Charlie discover has been made without authorization?
(a) The Treatment.
(b) Charlie's biography.
(c) Humboldt's life story.
(d) The Antarctica Expedition.
4. What happens to Roger while in Madrid?
(a) He is kidnapped.
(b) He gets the flu.
(c) He runs away.
(d) Sr. Biferno claims him.
5. Who tells Naomi that Charlie plans to go away with Renata?
(d) George Swiebel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie buy on Wacker Drive?
2. What does Corcoran do in Section III of "Treatment?"
3. Who does Charlie run into during intermission at the Christmas Pageant?
4. Who does George take to Africa with him while working on the berylium deal?
5. What is an item in the envelope besides the long letter and Humboldt's actual gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlie explain his relationship with Roger to people abroad?
2. Why does Charlie feel compelled to continue the work of the dead?
3. What is the state of Charlie's life and state of mind in Section 16 as he lives in Madrid?
4. As Charlie thinks about oblivion and death as being all we have to expect out of this world, what options present themselves to him in order to meet this end?
5. Why does Charlie believe that he cannot ask Renata to accompany him and the two older men from the nursing home out to lunch?
6. According to Humboldt's letter to Charlie, why does Charlie figure so prominently in his obsessions?
7. Why does Maggie plead Charlie's case to Stronson and get the charges dropped?
8. What does Renata think will happen to Charlie if he goes to Texas to see Julius?
9. Why does Naomi beg George to take her son with him to Africa?
10. How does Corcoran in the "Treatment" end up losing even though his book is a great success?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)