|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Charlie Citrine make a fortune?
(a) He writes a Broadway play.
(b) He writes a film score.
(c) He writes a best-selling novel.
(d) He wins the Nobel Prize.
2. Why does a movie company hire Tigler?
(a) As an extra.
(b) To be the horse expert.
(c) To use his dude ranch as background scenery.
(d) To direct certain cowboy scenes.
3. What idea does Cantabile have that makes Charlie point his gun at him?
(a) Putting money into illegal Swiss accounts.
(b) Putting a "hit" on Denise.
(c) To kidnap one of Charlie's kids.
(d) Offering Polly to Charlie along with himself.
4. Who does Cantabile take Charlie to meet in the Hancock Building?
(a) A newspaper columnist.
(b) A Japanese martial arts expert.
(c) An old man who deals in jewelry.
(d) A distant relative of President Harding.
5. Who arranges for Renata and Charlie to get together at a subway bar?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Charlie's family originally from?
2. Who is President of the United States when Charlie and his then-wife, Denise, are invited to the White House?
3. What kind of flower does Charlie see Rinaldo as?
4. What happens to Hildenfisch at the racquet ball club?
5. What disease did Charlie suffer from as a boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Scaccia, the detective, blackmailing Charlie?
2. What does meeting Naomi Lutz, Charlie's school-days' sweetheart, lead him to thoughts of?
3. Why does Charlie think of the Mozartian Italian Denise likes, "Tutto tutto gia si sa" (Everything, everything about me was known)?
4. How does Cantabile make it clear to Charlie that he thinks he is vain?
5. When Charlie returns to Chicago after ignoring Humboldt on the streets of New York, he tells Denise about the incident. What, in his story about being on the helicopter with Dr. Longstaff from the old days, is ironic?
6. What does the protagonist mean when it is stated that, ". . . after all Broadway adjoins the garment district and blends with it?"
7. What does Humboldt believe Kathleen's father did to her to keep her away from Humboldt?
8. Why does the Judge want to Charlie to post a large bail bond?
9. How does Humboldt end up getting over six thousand dollars from Charlie after Charlie has a successful Broadway show?
10. How does Denise keep up-to-date on world news to prepare for a cultural evening at the White House?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)