|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What college did Humboldt have a connection with to get Cintrine a job?
(d) New York University.
2. Who is Pierre Thaxter?
(a) Cantabile's boss.
(b) Charlie's friend from California.
(c) Charlie's divorce lawyer.
(d) A friend of Polly's from France.
3. Who is Harold Flonzaley?
(a) Denise's new boyfriend.
(b) Renata's undertaker suitor.
(c) Denise's lawyer.
(d) The judge in the divorce case.
4. What is the subject of the master essay that Charlie has been writing for years?
5. Who is Gaylord Koffritz?
(a) A dear friend of Charlie's.
(b) The judge at the divorce trial.
(c) Renata's former husband.
(d) Denise's lawyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Humboldt and Kathleen visit Charlie after Humboldt had just given a reading at Yale, what does Kathleen intimate to Charlie she plans to do?
2. What does Charlie tell Polly about his medal of honor?
3. What is Charlie's original family name?
4. What is the title of Steiner's book of meditative exerciess?
5. Why does Cantabile take Charlie to the Playboy Club?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George's beryllium mining scheme not seem as far-fetched to Charlie now as it once did?
2. Humboldt used to accuse Charlie of trying to spend his whole life in the upper stories of higher consciousness. What is Humboldt's definition of higher consciousness?
3. Charlie Citrine, as an elderly man, looks for something along the curbs in Chicago. What does he search for and why?
4. When Charlie returns to Chicago after ignoring Humboldt on the streets of New York, he tells Denise about the incident. What, in his story about being on the helicopter with Dr. Longstaff from the old days, is ironic?
5. What does Humboldt believe Kathleen's father did to her to keep her away from Humboldt?
6. When Charlie is being told by Judge Urbanovich that he cannot be allowed to dabble in the middle class and then drop out, how does Charlie react?
7. How do Charlie and Renata first get together?
8. How is Humboldt acting towards Kathleen after he loses the poetry chair at Princeton?
9. Charlie goes to the Russian Baths to give Cantabile his money. What is Cantabile's demeanor like when he gets out of his car to meet Charlie outside the Baths?
10. What is the connection between Charlie's friend, George Swiebel, and Renata's former husband, Gaylord Koffritz?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)