|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Humboldt say his mother used to send him to Chicago?
(a) To find a wife.
(b) To spy on his father.
(c) To go to school.
(d) To make some money.
2. Charlie ruminates over Humboldt's obituary which appears in which newspaper?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The Chicago Sun Times.
(c) The Los Angeles Times.
(d) The Washington Post.
3. Which Presidential election outcome was a personal disaster to Humboldt?
4. Who hires the psychiatrist, specializing in sex, for Charlie to talk with?
5. Where does Humboldt refuse to go and lecture in 1952?
(a) Moscow State University in Russia.
(b) Oxford University in England..
(c) Free University in Berlin.
(d) Yale University in Connecticut.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cantabile tell Charlie he must do before getting together with Polly?
2. What does Renata think of Cantabile's suggestion that he rub out Denise for Charlie?
3. What is the Senora's chief claim to fame founded upon?
4. What idea does Cantabile have that makes Charlie point his gun at him?
5. What disease did Charlie suffer from as a boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlie's theory that some people have no use for their gifts and can think only of overcoming their weaknesses apply to Charlie and Humboldt?
2. When Charlie offers to put up the ransom for the return of Pierre, how does he expect to be repaid?
3. In what way is Scaccia, the detective, blackmailing Charlie?
4. How does Denise keep up-to-date on world news to prepare for a cultural evening at the White House?
5. What happens to Corcoran's outlook when he repeats his romantic trip with his wife?
6. Why does George dislike Dick Durnwald?
7. As Charlie thinks about oblivion and death as being all we have to expect out of this world, what options present themselves to him in order to meet this end?
8. What does Renata think will happen to Charlie if he goes to Texas to see Julius?
9. Why does Charlie begin to cry while watching the film in Paris with Rinaldo?
10. What does Canabile seem to want from Charlie other than help for his wife?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)