|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Presidential election outcome was a personal disaster to Humboldt?
2. What college did Humboldt have a connection with to get Cintrine a job?
(a) New York University.
3. Where does Humboldt refuse to go and lecture in 1952?
(a) Oxford University in England..
(b) Free University in Berlin.
(c) Moscow State University in Russia.
(d) Yale University in Connecticut.
4. What does Cantabile tell Charlie he must do before getting together with Polly?
(a) Not even think about it.
(b) Go through him first.
(c) Bring her roses.
(d) Wear a proper tie and jacket.
5. When Humboldt and Kathleen visit Charlie after Humboldt had just given a reading at Yale, what does Kathleen intimate to Charlie she plans to do?
(a) Get hold of Humboldt's money.
(b) Stay with Humboldt, no matter what he does to her.
(c) Leave Humboldt.
(d) Have Humboldt murdered.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Hildenfisch at the racquet ball club?
2. What does Humboldt tell Charlie he is charging him with in a lawsuit?
3. Who is Gaylord Koffritz?
4. In which decade did Von Humboldt Fleisher publish his book of ballads?
5. Who is Desperate Ambrose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Charlie plays racquetball with Vito LangobardiIn, a big-time hoodlum. In what way is Charlie attached to Vito?
2. Why does Charlie think of the Mozartian Italian Denise likes, "Tutto tutto gia si sa" (Everything, everything about me was known)?
3. Charlie goes to the Russian Baths to give Cantabile his money. What is Cantabile's demeanor like when he gets out of his car to meet Charlie outside the Baths?
4. Which of Charlie's family members does he briefly compare Langobardi to?
5. Why does Pierre Thaxter rush to get into Cantabile's car and forgo buying the fish knives he had set out to purchase?
6. What does Charlie think Cantabile's rank and place in the organized crime world is?
7. How does Charlie come to be blamed for Humboldt's admittance to Bellevue?
8. When Charlie returns to Chicago after ignoring Humboldt on the streets of New York, he tells Denise about the incident. What, in his story about being on the helicopter with Dr. Longstaff from the old days, is ironic?
9. Why does Humboldt tell Charlie that he wants Adlai Stevenson to win the election over Eisenhower?
10. Why does George dislike Dick Durnwald?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)