|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ultimately happens to Humboldt's chair position at Princeton?
(a) He is cut out of the budget.
(b) The letter from Longstaff is a fake and there is no money.
(c) He rises to President.
(d) Longstaff asks Princeton to remove him.
2. What adjective does Judge Urbanovich use to refer to Charlie in his chambers?
3. What does Renata think of Cantabile's suggestion that he rub out Denise for Charlie?
(a) It's horrifying.
(b) It's not a bad idea.
(c) Charlie might be rubbed out next.
(d) She should call the police.
4. Why does Srole think Urbanovich wants to help Denise?
(a) He wants to be rid of this ridiculous case.
(b) He hates Charlie.
(c) It is a fun case to him.
(d) He is attracted to her.
5. When Humboldt and Kathleen visit Charlie after Humboldt had just given a reading at Yale, what does Kathleen intimate to Charlie she plans to do?
(a) Leave Humboldt.
(b) Have Humboldt murdered.
(c) Get hold of Humboldt's money.
(d) Stay with Humboldt, no matter what he does to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does the Judge believe Charlie can afford to pay Denise each year?
2. How does Charlie Citrine make a fortune?
3. When Cantabile approaches Thaxter and Charlie, what does he want Charlie to do?
4. What does Cantabile ultimately do with most of the money Charlie gives him?
5. After speaking with Judge Urbanovich in chambers, what does Charlie want to do about the case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the connection between Charlie's friend, George Swiebel, and Renata's former husband, Gaylord Koffritz?
2. Humboldt cashes in Charlie's "blood-brother" check. How is this done at a very bad time in Charlie's life?
3. Why does Naomi beg George to take her son with him to Africa?
4. When Judge Urbanovich questions Charlie about his frequent trips to Europe, what does Charlie come to realize about Chicago and the judge?
5. What does Canabile seem to want from Charlie other than help for his wife?
6. Which of Charlie's family members does he briefly compare Langobardi to?
7. How do Charlie and Renata first get together?
8. In what way is Scaccia, the detective, blackmailing Charlie?
9. When Charlie offers to put up the ransom for the return of Pierre, how does he expect to be repaid?
10. Does Charlie have confidence in PIerre Thaxter's ability to get help for him while in jail?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)