|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Charlie's Mercedes-Benz one night in Chicago?
(a) It is attacked with what appears to be baseball bats.
(b) It is painted over.
(c) It is stolen.
(d) It is ticketed.
2. When a wrinkled postcard falls to the floor, what does Charlie see that it is?
(a) A threatening note from Cantabile.
(b) A last love note from Denise.
(c) A rejection of his latest writing submission.
(d) A poem that Humboldt wrote.
3. Who is Harold Flonzaley?
(a) Renata's undertaker suitor.
(b) The judge in the divorce case.
(c) Denise's lawyer.
(d) Denise's new boyfriend.
4. Why does Humboldt sneak into Dr. Longstaff's private elevator and have a meeting with him?
(a) He wants to discuss the great poets and impress Longstaff.
(b) To have Ricketts fired so he can have a chair at Princeton.
(c) To get on his good side.
(d) To ask the Belisha Foundation to endow a chair for him.
5. Why does Humboldt say his mother used to send him to Chicago?
(a) To find a wife.
(b) To go to school.
(c) To spy on his father.
(d) To make some money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Humboldt end up dying?
2. Where does Humboldt refuse to go and lecture in 1952?
3. What idea does Cantabile have that makes Charlie point his gun at him?
4. What film director did Humboldt admire?
5. Whose long boring dinners, as Djilas describes them, does Charlie think of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlie come to be blamed for Humboldt's admittance to Bellevue?
2. Which of Charlie's family members does he briefly compare Langobardi to?
3. Why does the Judge want to Charlie to post a large bail bond?
4. Humboldt cashes in Charlie's "blood-brother" check. How is this done at a very bad time in Charlie's life?
5. Charlie goes to the Russian Baths to give Cantabile his money. What is Cantabile's demeanor like when he gets out of his car to meet Charlie outside the Baths?
6. Why does Humboldt tell Charlie that he wants Adlai Stevenson to win the election over Eisenhower?
7. When Charlie is being told by Judge Urbanovich that he cannot be allowed to dabble in the middle class and then drop out, how does Charlie react?
8. Why does George dislike Dick Durnwald?
9. What does Humboldt believe Kathleen's father did to her to keep her away from Humboldt?
10. Why does George's beryllium mining scheme not seem as far-fetched to Charlie now as it once did?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)