|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Humboldt calls Charlie at the Bellasco Theatre from Bellvue, what does he want?
(a) Free tickets to all shows.
(b) The money Charlie and Demmie had raised.
(c) To meet with him.
(d) An apology from Charlie and Magnasco.
2. Whose long letters does Charlie read while waiting on jury duty?
(b) George Swiebell's.
(c) Pierre Thaxter's.
3. How much money does the Judge believe Charlie can afford to pay Denise each year?
(a) Fifty thousand dollar.
(b) Two hundred thousand dollars.
(c) Thirty thousand dollars.
(d) Twenty-five thousand dollars.
4. What is anthroposophy?
(a) An orthopedists's assistant.
(b) A procedure done with a needle and scope.
(c) The study of man's spiritual relationship to nature.
(d) The study of anthropods.
5. Who hires the psychiatrist, specializing in sex, for Charlie to talk with?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Charlie's Mercedes-Benz one night in Chicago?
2. What is the title of Steiner's book of meditative exerciess?
3. When is Lucy due back from Nevada?
4. For how many years are Humboldt and Citrine estranged?
5. Who is Gaylord Koffritz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George dislike Dick Durnwald?
2. What does the protagonist mean when it is stated that, ". . . after all Broadway adjoins the garment district and blends with it?"
3. When Charlie is being told by Judge Urbanovich that he cannot be allowed to dabble in the middle class and then drop out, how does Charlie react?
4. What are Charlie's ideas concerning boredom?
5. How has Cantabile's attitude towards Charlie changed?
6. What is the difference between Charlie's ex-wife, Denise, and his new girlfriend, Renata?
7. Why does Humboldt tell Charlie that he wants Adlai Stevenson to win the election over Eisenhower?
8. How do Charlie and Renata first get together?
9. In what way is Scaccia, the detective, blackmailing Charlie?
10. When Charlie returns to Chicago after ignoring Humboldt on the streets of New York, he tells Denise about the incident. What, in his story about being on the helicopter with Dr. Longstaff from the old days, is ironic?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)