|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cantabile offer to give Charlie while in his apartment?
(a) A share of stock.
(b) A gun.
(d) A girlfriend.
2. Why does Cantabile stay behind in the bathroom after speaking with Charlie?
(a) To use the facilities.
(b) To retrieve his bullets.
(c) To finish shaving.
(d) To rethink the conversation.
3. Why does Humboldt sneak into Dr. Longstaff's private elevator and have a meeting with him?
(a) To have Ricketts fired so he can have a chair at Princeton.
(b) To get on his good side.
(c) He wants to discuss the great poets and impress Longstaff.
(d) To ask the Belisha Foundation to endow a chair for him.
4. Which Presidential election outcome was a personal disaster to Humboldt?
5. What is the reason Magnasco does not want to call the police on Humboldt?
(a) He intends to attack Humboldt himself when the time comes.
(b) He does not want revenge from Charlie Citrine.
(c) He does not want to get a bad name within the New York culture crowd.
(d) He is afraid Humboldt will attack him further.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Renata think of Cantabile's suggestion that he rub out Denise for Charlie?
2. Who became Humboldt's best friend after he felt Charlie deceived him?
3. When Humboldt attacks Magnasco on the streets of New York, who saves the young fellow's life?
4. Charlie ruminates over Humboldt's obituary which appears in which newspaper?
5. How does Charlie Citrine make a fortune?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George's beryllium mining scheme not seem as far-fetched to Charlie now as it once did?
2. How is Humboldt acting towards Kathleen after he loses the poetry chair at Princeton?
3. How does Cantabile make it clear to Charlie that he thinks he is vain?
4. Charlie goes to the Russian Baths to give Cantabile his money. What is Cantabile's demeanor like when he gets out of his car to meet Charlie outside the Baths?
5. What does Humboldt believe Kathleen's father did to her to keep her away from Humboldt?
6. How has Cantabile's attitude towards Charlie changed?
7. What does Charlie think Cantabile's rank and place in the organized crime world is?
8. Why does George dislike Dick Durnwald?
9. What are Charlie's ideas concerning boredom?
10. What does the protagonist mean when it is stated that, ". . . after all Broadway adjoins the garment district and blends with it?"
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)