|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Humboldt sneak into Dr. Longstaff's private elevator and have a meeting with him?
(a) To ask the Belisha Foundation to endow a chair for him.
(b) To get on his good side.
(c) To have Ricketts fired so he can have a chair at Princeton.
(d) He wants to discuss the great poets and impress Longstaff.
2. What does Charlie tell Polly about his medal of honor?
(a) It is the highest honor given in France.
(b) It is akin to being knighted.
(c) It is a kind of phony one.
(d) He fought bravely for it.
3. For how many years are Humboldt and Citrine estranged?
4. Why does Charlie think Cantabile hopes to see George at the Baths?
(a) He misses George.
(b) To apologize for cheating at poker.
(c) To get money from George.
(d) So he can hurt George.
5. What does Charlie tell Renata he is considering selling due to its current high value?
(a) His Oriental rugs.
(b) His destroyed Mercedes.
(c) His apartment.
(d) His autographed book by Humboldt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Huggins looking for Charlie?
2. Why does Humboldt say his mother used to send him to Chicago?
3. What happens to Charlie's Mercedes-Benz one night in Chicago?
4. Who is responsible for Life magazine commissioning an article from Charlie?
5. Why does Charlie enter a men's room stall as Srole is telling him what he can do to protect his money?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Judge Urbanovich questions Charlie about his frequent trips to Europe, what does Charlie come to realize about Chicago and the judge?
2. When Charlie returns to Chicago after ignoring Humboldt on the streets of New York, he tells Denise about the incident. What, in his story about being on the helicopter with Dr. Longstaff from the old days, is ironic?
3. How does Charlie's theory that some people have no use for their gifts and can think only of overcoming their weaknesses apply to Charlie and Humboldt?
4. What does meeting Naomi Lutz, Charlie's school-days' sweetheart, lead him to thoughts of?
5. Why does George's beryllium mining scheme not seem as far-fetched to Charlie now as it once did?
6. What does Humboldt believe Kathleen's father did to her to keep her away from Humboldt?
7. How does Corcoran in the "Treatment" end up losing even though his book is a great success?
8. Why does Charlie think of the Mozartian Italian Denise likes, "Tutto tutto gia si sa" (Everything, everything about me was known)?
9. Why does George dislike Dick Durnwald?
10. How has Cantabile's attitude towards Charlie changed?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)