|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Cantabile tell Charlie to meet him with the money?
(a) The Carnegie Deli.
(b) The Downtown Club.
(c) The Russian Bath.
(d) The Belasco.
2. Where does Cantabile want Charlie to go with him once they meet in the street outside the Baths?
(a) To a deserted alley.
(b) To the bathroom.
(c) To the sauna.
(d) To his car.
3. According to Mickey, who owns the Baths?
(a) Rinaldo Cantabile.
(b) The Syndicate.
(c) Father Siewell.
(d) Management, downtown.
4. What is the name of the man that Charlie gave a check to and then stopped payment on it?
(a) Bill Thompson.
(b) George Swiebel.
(c) Rinaldo Cantabile.
(d) Morris Eller.
5. Who does Charlie find at the Russian Baths and is happy that it is not George Siewell?
(b) Dr. Lutz.
(d) George's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Humboldt think he and Charlie should do in light of the new US administration?
2. What happens to Hildenfisch at the racquet ball club?
3. What does Charlie tell Polly about his medal of honor?
4. When Humboldt and Kathleen visit Charlie after Humboldt had just given a reading at Yale, what does Kathleen intimate to Charlie she plans to do?
5. What does Cantabile tell Charlie he must do before getting together with Polly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the protagonist mean when it is stated that, ". . . after all Broadway adjoins the garment district and blends with it?"
2. How does Cantabile make it clear to Charlie that he thinks he is vain?
3. How does Humboldt end up getting over six thousand dollars from Charlie after Charlie has a successful Broadway show?
4. Why does George's beryllium mining scheme not seem as far-fetched to Charlie now as it once did?
5. How do Charlie and Renata first get together?
6. Why does Charlie believe Americans have trouble keeping secrets?
7. Charlie goes to the Russian Baths to give Cantabile his money. What is Cantabile's demeanor like when he gets out of his car to meet Charlie outside the Baths?
8. Why does George dislike Dick Durnwald?
9. Humboldt basically dies a failure in society's eyes. What, upon his death, brings him back to prominence?
10. According to Humboldt, what is the only art intellectuals can be interested in?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)