|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose long letters does Charlie read while waiting on jury duty?
(a) Pierre Thaxter's.
(d) George Swiebell's.
2. Who does Cantabile take Charlie to meet in the Hancock Building?
(a) A distant relative of President Harding.
(b) A newspaper columnist.
(c) An old man who deals in jewelry.
(d) A Japanese martial arts expert.
3. What does Humboldt tell Charlie he is charging him with in a lawsuit?
(a) Breach of contract.
4. What is Canatbile's wife doing her doctoral thesis on?
(a) The Mafia.
(c) Jewish culture.
(d) Von Humboldt Fleisher.
5. According to Mickey, who owns the Baths?
(a) Rinaldo Cantabile.
(b) Management, downtown.
(c) Father Siewell.
(d) The Syndicate.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Humboldt attacks Magnasco on the streets of New York, who saves the young fellow's life?
2. Who is Harold Flonzaley?
3. What does Charlie tell Renata he is considering selling due to its current high value?
4. What disease did Charlie suffer from as a boy?
5. According to Judge Urbanovich, what is Charlie's problem in this case?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George dislike Dick Durnwald?
2. Why does Humboldt tell Charlie that he wants Adlai Stevenson to win the election over Eisenhower?
3. What happens to Corcoran's outlook when he repeats his romantic trip with his wife?
4. Why does Charlie feel compelled to continue the work of the dead?
5. What is the state of Charlie's life and state of mind in Section 16 as he lives in Madrid?
6. What is Humboldt's reaction when Charlie tells him that the Chair, Ricketts, cannot give Humboldt a Poetry Chair because of budgetary reasons?
7. How does Denise keep up-to-date on world news to prepare for a cultural evening at the White House?
8. How does Corcoran in the "Treatment" end up losing even though his book is a great success?
9. How does Cantabile make it clear to Charlie that he thinks he is vain?
10. When Charlie is being told by Judge Urbanovich that he cannot be allowed to dabble in the middle class and then drop out, how does Charlie react?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)