|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Cantabile want Charlie to go with him once they meet in the street outside the Baths?
(a) To the bathroom.
(b) To the sauna.
(c) To his car.
(d) To a deserted alley.
2. When Cantabile approaches Thaxter and Charlie, what does he want Charlie to do?
(a) Introduce Thaxter to him.
(b) Take him to the Arts Museum.
(c) Get into the car.
(d) Go to lunch with him and Polly.
3. How much money does Charlie lose at the poker game, including what he loses to Rinaldo?
(a) Six hundred dollars.
(b) Four hundred fifty dollars.
(c) One thousand dollars.
(d) Five hundred dollars.
4. Where does Cantabile tell Charlie to meet him with the money?
(a) The Downtown Club.
(b) The Russian Bath.
(c) The Carnegie Deli.
(d) The Belasco.
5. Why does Cantabile take Charlie to the Playboy Club?
(a) To finally collect his money.
(b) To meet Mike Schneiderman.
(c) To have a few drinks together.
(d) He needs to relax in the sauna.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Humboldt calls Charlie at the Bellasco Theatre from Bellvue, what does he want?
2. Whose long boring dinners, as Djilas describes them, does Charlie think of?
3. Who is responsible for Life magazine commissioning an article from Charlie?
4. Despite an action Humboldt takes, Von Trenck is a hit. What does Humboldt do to try and prevent this?
5. Why does a movie company hire Tigler?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Charlie and Renata first get together?
2. Why does the Judge want to Charlie to post a large bail bond?
3. Charlie goes to the Russian Baths to give Cantabile his money. What is Cantabile's demeanor like when he gets out of his car to meet Charlie outside the Baths?
4. How does Charlie come to be blamed for Humboldt's admittance to Bellevue?
5. How does Denise keep up-to-date on world news to prepare for a cultural evening at the White House?
6. Charlie plays racquetball with Vito LangobardiIn, a big-time hoodlum. In what way is Charlie attached to Vito?
7. Humboldt basically dies a failure in society's eyes. What, upon his death, brings him back to prominence?
8. Why does Pierre Thaxter rush to get into Cantabile's car and forgo buying the fish knives he had set out to purchase?
9. Why does Charlie believe Americans have trouble keeping secrets?
10. Why does Humboldt tell Charlie that he wants Adlai Stevenson to win the election over Eisenhower?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)