|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Pierre Thaxter?
(a) A friend of Polly's from France.
(b) Charlie's divorce lawyer.
(c) Cantabile's boss.
(d) Charlie's friend from California.
2. What does Humboldt think he and Charlie should do in light of the new US administration?
(a) Prepare to elect someone different in four years.
(b) Leave the country.
(c) Pay no more attention to politics.
(d) Consider forming a new political party.
3. After speaking with Judge Urbanovich in chambers, what does Charlie want to do about the case?
(a) Call Cantabile and have Denise killed.
(b) Go to trial.
(d) Leave the country and not return.
4. What idea does Cantabile have that makes Charlie point his gun at him?
(a) Offering Polly to Charlie along with himself.
(b) Putting money into illegal Swiss accounts.
(c) To kidnap one of Charlie's kids.
(d) Putting a "hit" on Denise.
5. What is the name of the private eye Humboldt hired?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of flower does Charlie see Rinaldo as?
2. How does Frank Tigler die?
3. What does Cantabile tell Charlie he must do before getting together with Polly?
4. Why does someone who calls Charlie in the middle of the night say that Charlie owes him $450?
5. Charlie ruminates over Humboldt's obituary which appears in which newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charlie think of the Mozartian Italian Denise likes, "Tutto tutto gia si sa" (Everything, everything about me was known)?
2. What does meeting Naomi Lutz, Charlie's school-days' sweetheart, lead him to thoughts of?
3. In what way is Scaccia, the detective, blackmailing Charlie?
4. Which of Charlie's family members does he briefly compare Langobardi to?
5. How does Cantabile make it clear to Charlie that he thinks he is vain?
6. How does Humboldt end up getting over six thousand dollars from Charlie after Charlie has a successful Broadway show?
7. What does Canabile seem to want from Charlie other than help for his wife?
8. How do Charlie and Renata first get together?
9. How is Humboldt acting towards Kathleen after he loses the poetry chair at Princeton?
10. What is the difference between Charlie's ex-wife, Denise, and his new girlfriend, Renata?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)