|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charlie relates to Naomi the details of Demmie's death. When Charlie flies down to South America to look for Demmie's body, what is Charlie thinking as he sits with the pilot?
(a) "What were Demmie's last thoughts?"
(b) "Let this plane crash, too."
(c) "I wish I could fly the plan myself."
(d) "Demmie must still be alive."
2. How does Charlie plan to come up with the seed money to get in on Julius's new venture?
(a) Call Kathleen for the money.
(b) Follow up on some of Thaxter's ideas for essays in Europe.
(c) Ask Rinaldo for a loan.
(d) Sell Humboldt's Treatment on his own.
3. What does Denise let Charlie know via a note from his daughter?
(a) His daughters will never see him after this.
(b) She needs more money.
(c) She will drop the court case.
(d) Her life has been threatened.
4. Who is Humboldt name after, according to his Uncle Waldemar?
(a) A famous German writer.
(b) A boy's camp in America.
(c) A statue in Central Park.
(d) A British art critic.
5. Why does Humboldt (in his letter) give as his reason for using the blood-brother check?
(a) He was destitute.
(b) Kathleen made him do it.
(c) Anger at Charlie for not visiting him in Bellevue.
(d) He thought it would bring Charlie to him.
6. Who does George take to Africa with him while working on the berylium deal?
(a) Naomi's son.
(b) Charlie's lawyers.
(c) Renata and her husband.
7. What project does Julius offer Charlie to get in on the ground floor with him?
(a) A new opera house in Milan.
(b) A first edition of The Ark.
(c) A luxury hotel in the Gulf of Mexico.
(d) The sale of Cuban cigars.
8. What is Kafka's description of Steiner?
(a) An artist stuck in the insurance business.
(b) A phony.
(c) A man for all seasons.
(d) His superior in philosophical ideas.
9. What happens to Roger while in Madrid?
(a) He runs away.
(b) Sr. Biferno claims him.
(c) He gets the flu.
(d) He is kidnapped.
10. What is Naomi's new last name?
11. What news does Charlie get while having lunch in The Oak Room with Renata?
(a) The judge has ordered a $200,000 bond on Charlie.
(b) Thaxter has taken off for Europe.
(c) Menasha has died.
(d) Denise has been murdered.
12. Who shows up unannounced at Charlie's door in Madrid?
13. What is Renata upset about missing so Charlie could go to Coney Island to get a worthless outline?
(a) La Scala in Europe.
(b) An opportunity to see the movie, Deep Throat.
(c) A trip on Le France.
(d) A night out in New York City.
14. How much does Charlie tell Renata he earned for his Trenck movie rights?
15. Who greets Humboldt and Renata at the nursing home door?
(a) Julius Citrine.
(b) Rinaldo Cantabile.
(c) Waldemar Wald.
(d) Menasha Klinger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Rebecca Volsted?
2. What does Renata end up doing because Charlie has not proposed marriage?
3. What is Charlie worried Renata will do if he is locked up in jail?
4. Why does George Swiebel believe Renata tells Charlie she is searching for her father?
5. What does Charlie tell Pierre they must do about plans to publish The Ark?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)