|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lady Margaret's relationship to Sir Francis?
2. Who dies in a car accident in 1962?
3. What does Lady Fairfax find when she enters Robert Kavanagh's cabin the first time?
4. What does Isobel wonder about reality?
5. How did Isobel end up in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Lady Margaret and Master Shakespeare?
2. Who is Lady Margaret and what happens to her in regards to Sir Francis?
3. How does Gordon meet Eliza?
4. What does Herbert do to Violet Angela, and what is Maude's response to Violet's telling her about Herbert?
5. How is it revealed that the lock of hair Charles supposedly has belongs to Eliza?
6. How does Maude Potter finally get a baby and what does she name the baby?
7. What does Isobel learn about several of the people in her circle of friends or acquaintances?
8. What day does Gordon remember at the end of this chapter?
9. How does Violet Angela end up leaving Herbert and Maude?
10. How does Lady Fairfax end up being with Robert Kavanagh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Human Croquet". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Atlkinson chooses the symbols she does? Do you think Atkinson consciously decides upon the symbols to represent various elements of "Human Croquet"? Why or why not.
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Atkinson chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Atkinson's use (or lack ) of literary devices (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Atkinson use too many or too little literary techniques? State to which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Human Croquet".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Human Croquet". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Human Croquet". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Many books are often made into a movie based upon the book. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think you would enjoy watching a film based upon "Human Croquet"? Why or why not?
2. Do you think the subject matter would be more difficult or easier to portray in film versus in the book? Explain your reasoning.
3. Would you allow your high school-aged son or daughter (imagining you have one) to view the film? Explain your answer.
4. How do you think the movie would differ from the book? Explain.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)