|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Isobel released from the hospital?
2. What does Isobel notice about the party guests?
3. Who enters the house?
4. What is Audrey's basic world view?
5. What does Gordon remember about Eliza much later after they are married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impressions does Isobel have about where she is at the end of this chapter?
2. What is related about Sir Francis Fairfax and his new wife?
3. How does Gordon clarify his statement about the death of Eliza?
4. What does Isobel do with Malcolm in Hilary's bedroom?
5. For whom do the servants prepare the home?
6. What does Isobel experience at Hilary's party?
7. What does Isobel say about Charles?
8. What day does Gordon remember at the end of this chapter?
9. What is happening on Christmas eve at the Fairfax household?
10. What happens to Lady Margaret and Master Shakespeare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss the character of Isobel. What are her strengths? Weaknesses? How does she evolve over the course of the story? Is she likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Do you think she is a protagonist or antagonist? Why
2. Thoroughly discuss the character Charles. What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? (or does he?) Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Is he trustworthy? Wise? Would you want him as a friend? As an enemy?
3. Thoroughly discuss two other characters of your choosing. What are their strengths? Weaknesses? How do they evolve over the course of the story? (or do they?) Are they likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Are they trustworthy? Wise? Would you want them as friends? Are they likely to be enemies?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Human Croquet" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if this is a successful novel.
3. Is "Human Croquet" a novel you would recommend to a friend? Why or why not? Explain.
4. Can a novel be successful and yet many readers not enjoy it? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
"Human Croquet" is a post-modern historical fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Define the word "genre" in the context of literary criticism.
2. Why do you think fiction is categorized by genre?
3. Does it help to know how a book is categorized as to its genre before reading it? Explain.
4. Post-modern historical fiction is often considered difficult to understand by many readers. What is your take on "Human Croquet" as far as ease of reading? Explain your answer with examples.
5. What is your favorite genre and why.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)