|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gordon say Eliza is?
2. What does Isobel find when searching Vinny's wardrobe?
3. What does Isobel say about her size?
4. When Isobel hears the supposed name of Debbie's illness, what does she wonder?
5. Who does Charles want to see when he wakes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the neighbors think of the new baby in the Fairfax household?
2. What business does Charlotte run and what are her long term intentions?
3. Give a very brief synopsis of the Fairfax family's status over time.
4. What gets Debbie's party off to a bad start?
5. What happens when Charles is eight years old?
6. Who is Francis Fairfax, and what does the narrator write about him?
7. Who is Audrey, and how does her father treat her?
8. What are the circumstances surrounding Charlotte's death?
9. What does Isobel write about both her and her brother's physical looks?
10. How is Mr. Rice presented in a less-than-favorable narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Atkinson chooses to write the novel in different points of views. Discuss the following:
1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this novel being written in several points of views?
2. Do you think the novel would be more effective in a different point of view? Which one if so?
3. When do you think an author is most likely to use the first person point of view? Second person? Third person omniscient? Third person limited?
4. Do you think the narrators in "Human Croquet" are reliable, i.e., do you believe the narrator is completely unbiased? Explain your response.
5. What is your favorite point of view to read? Or do you have a favorite.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Human Croquet".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Human Croquet". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Human Croquet". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Isobel's and Charles' reaction to the disappearance of their mother. How do you think you would have reacted in a similar situation? Explain.
2. Discuss how you would have handled things were you in Isobel at Hilary's party. Do you think she handles the party better or worse than (or about the same) as you? Would you have confided in your someone about the party? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Isobel and Charles should have been taken to a therapist? Why? What do you think the therapists would have said to each of them?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)