|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Isobel hears the supposed name of Debbie's illness, what does she wonder?
(a) About Debbie leaving them to go to a mental hospital.
(b) About the presence of doppelgangers.
(c) About whether Debbie is the reason for Eliza's disappearance.
(d) About whether Debbie will disappear.
2. What occurs in Fairfax Manor in 1582?
(a) He is elected mayor.
(b) A fire destroys the manor.
(c) Nothing, as it is not yet built.
(d) The Queen visits.
3. Why is Gordon troubled?
(a) Because Vinny is so critical of Isobel.
(b) Because of the shoe Isobel finds in Vinny's closet.
(c) Because Charles wants to move to London.
(d) Because Charles is dating a poor, uneducated woman.
4. What does Vinny want Isobel to get her?
(a) A better pair of shoes.
(b) A recipe from a neighbor.
(c) Some money.
(d) A recommendation for a job.
5. How is the play Isobel attends?
(a) About average for amateurs.
(b) Quite good for amateurs.
(c) Bad even by amateur standards.
(d) The play does not take place.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the table covered in one morning when Isobel goes downstairs?
2. What does Charlotte Fairfax do?
3. What does Eliza do when she goes into labor with Isobel?
4. What does Vinny do with what Charles offers Gordon?
5. What is Lady Fairfax known to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Rice presented in a less-than-favorable narrative?
2. How does Isobel come to find a single, unusual shoe in Vinny's closet and what is Vinny's reaction?
3. What gets Debbie's party off to a bad start?
4. How do Charlotte and Vinny treat Eliza and what is her response?
5. Describe the interaction between Gordon and his two young children after Gordon returns from the woods.
6. What does Isobel say are Charles' hobbies, and how does he relate one of his hobbies to his mother?
7. What does Isobel, the narrator at the beginning of the novel, discuss in the first part of the novel?
8. What leads to Isobel's house being infested with fleas?
9. What do the neighbors think of the new baby in the Fairfax household?
10. How do Isobel and Charles find their mother and what do they do?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)