|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Francis Fairfax arrive in Lythe?
2. What does Vinny do with what Charles offers Gordon?
(a) Eats it herself.
(b) Snatches it away.
(c) Throws it out the window.
3. What is Audrey doing during the lecture that bores Isobel?
(a) Taking copious notes.
(b) Eating a bag of peanuts.
(c) Writing a poem.
4. Why do the Baxters call their home "Sithean"?
(a) Because it is a Scottish name.
(b) Isobel does not explain.
(c) It is the name of the closest town.
(d) It is the name of Mrs. Baxter's ancestors.
5. What is Gordon's position in WWII?
(a) Fighter pilot.
(b) Demolitions expert.
(d) Gunner's mate.
6. What does Isobel notice about Aubrey one day?
(a) She has grown a couple inches.
(b) She seems to be gaining weight.
(c) She has a bad cough.
(d) She has changed the color of her lipstick.
7. What does Isobel say about her size?
(a) She is a dwarf.
(b) She is petite.
(c) She is large.
(d) She is over six feet tall and very beautiful.
8. Where is Charles born?
(a) In a field.
(b) In a hospital.
(c) In Paris.
(d) On a train.
9. What is the date of the setting of the novel?
10. What does Charlotte Fairfax do?
(a) Runs the family grocery business.
(b) A seamstress.
(c) A nurse.
(d) A librarian.
11. What do Charles and Isobel watch during the night?
(a) Their father drive away.
(b) Their mother come in the front door.
(c) Their father slap Charlotte.
(d) Their father slap Vinny.
12. What does Vinny want Isobel to get her?
(a) A recipe from a neighbor.
(b) Some money.
(c) A recommendation for a job.
(d) A better pair of shoes.
13. Where does Gordon say Eliza is?
(a) At the police station.
(b) At home.
(c) In the hospital.
(d) In a motel.
14. What does Gordon give Eliza for Christmas one year?
(a) A gold ring with emerals and diamonds.
(b) A diamond necklace.
(c) A new car.
(d) A trip to her native Australia.
15. Who is Debbie?
(a) Gordon's sister.
(b) One of Isobel's children.
(c) Gordon's second wife.
(d) One of the neighbors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gordon meet Eliza?
2. How do the neighbors respond to the presence of the baby?
3. What does Isobel end up asking Audrey?
4. What does Isobel do when she hears a voice?
5. What does Charlotte say about Eliza one day to the children?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)