|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what is Debbie obsessed when Isobel arrives home?
(a) The china cabinet.
(b) A caterpillar.
(c) The baby.
(d) A ring that she finds.
2. What do Charles and Isobel watch during the night?
(a) Their father slap Charlotte.
(b) Their father slap Vinny.
(c) Their mother come in the front door.
(d) Their father drive away.
3. What does Isobel see outside the window while washing dishes?
(a) A fox running across the yard with a chicken in his jaws.
(b) A raccoon eating one of their chickens.
(c) Mr. Rice exposing himself.
(d) Mr. Rice dancing in the rain.
4. What is one thing Mr. Rice leaves behind when he vacates the house?
(a) Three months of unpaid rent.
(b) His back scratcher.
(c) His wingtips.
(d) His red handkerchief.
5. What is Audrey doing during the lecture that bores Isobel?
(a) Eating a bag of peanuts.
(b) Taking copious notes.
(d) Writing a poem.
6. What ultimatum does Eliza give Gordon?
(a) She will leave him if he does not send Isobel to a good school.
(b) She will leave him if he does not agree to another child.
(c) She will leave him if he does not move them out of Charlotte's house.
(d) She does not give him an ultimatum.
7. Who is Debbie?
(a) One of the neighbors.
(b) Gordon's second wife.
(c) One of Isobel's children.
(d) Gordon's sister.
8. What do Charles and Isobel find when they go into the woods to look for their parents?
(a) Their mother who is either dead or unconscious.
(b) No one.
(c) A puppy.
(d) Their aunt who is very ill.
9. What is Gordon's position in WWII?
(a) Fighter pilot.
(b) Demolitions expert.
(d) Gunner's mate.
10. What birthday is Isobel celebrating when this section opens?
11. What occurs in Fairfax Manor in 1582?
(a) The Queen visits.
(b) Nothing, as it is not yet built.
(c) He is elected mayor.
(d) A fire destroys the manor.
12. Why does Isobel go to the Baxter's house?
(a) To borrow sugar.
(b) To take them a cake.
(c) To return their dish.
(d) To visit Audrey.
13. What does Isobel notice about Aubrey one day?
(a) She has a bad cough.
(b) She has changed the color of her lipstick.
(c) She has grown a couple inches.
(d) She seems to be gaining weight.
14. How do the neighbors respond to the presence of the baby?
(a) They are thinking of calling social services.
(b) They do not know of the baby.
(c) One neighbor has started a private investigation into the matter.
(d) They are not at all suspicious.
15. What does Charles collect?
(b) Model airplanes.
(d) Artifacts relating to his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles lament?
2. Who looks after the children until Charlotte and Vinny get home every day?
3. What does Vinny do with anything Mr. Rice leaves at the house?
4. What does Charlotte tell the children about their father?
5. Why is Gordon troubled?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)