I. Beginning: Streets of Trees
1. What is the date of the setting of the novel?
2. Who is Isobel Fairfax?
(a) A young girl in New England.
(b) A young girl in Italy.
(c) An elderly woman in New England.
(d) The narrator.
3. In what year does Francis Fairfax arrive in Lythe?
4. What is Francis Fairfax's main occupation?
5. What occurs in Fairfax Manor in 1582?
(a) He is elected mayor.
(b) A fire destroys the manor.
(c) The Queen visits.
(d) Nothing, as it is not yet built.
6. What does Francis Fairfax give his wife when he marries?
(a) A thousand pounds.
(b) The famous Fairfax Jewel.
(c) A separate allowance.
(d) An expensive mare.
7. What is Lady Fairfax known to do?
(a) Have fits of anger.
(b) Hold seances.
(c) Have fits of hysteria.
(d) Walk in the woods.
8. What happens to Lady Fairfax one day?
(a) A wolf attacks her.
(b) She went for a walk and disappeared.
(c) A cleric slaps her during one of her hysterical moments.
(d) A gypsy tells her fortune.
This section contains 4,234 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)