1. What is the date of the setting of the novel?
2. Who is Isobel Fairfax?
(a) A young girl in Italy.
(b) A young girl in New England.
(c) An elderly woman in New England.
(d) The narrator.
3. In what year does Francis Fairfax arrive in Lythe?
4. What is Francis Fairfax's main occupation?
5. What occurs in Fairfax Manor in 1582?
(a) The Queen visits.
(b) A fire destroys the manor.
(c) Nothing, as it is not yet built.
(d) He is elected mayor.
6. What does Francis Fairfax give his wife when he marries?
(a) A thousand pounds.
(b) The famous Fairfax Jewel.
(c) An expensive mare.
(d) A separate allowance.
7. What is Lady Fairfax known to do?
(a) Hold seances.
(b) Walk in the woods.
(c) Have fits of hysteria.
(d) Have fits of anger.
8. What happens to Lady Fairfax one day?
(a) A cleric slaps her during one of her hysterical moments.
(b) A wolf attacks her.
(c) A gypsy tells her fortune.
(d) She went for a walk and disappeared.
This section contains 4,234 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)