I. Beginning: Streets of Trees
* "Human Croquet" is set in England in the 1960s and covers a brief period of time in the main narrator's life.
* Narration gives a brief history of the establishment of Fairfax Manor around 1580 near the village of Lythe.
* Fairfax marries Lady Fairfax, who births a son and is fond of walking in the woods, where she disappears one day never to return.
* Fairfax Manor is abandoned soon after Francis Fairfax dies in 1605.
* The Fairfax family fortune increased and decreased over time in regard to the prevailing economic climate.
* In the twentieth century, houses are built where Fairfax Manor once stood, and the Fairfax family buys one of the houses.
* Isobel gives a short history of the recent Fairfax family, and she closes the chapter by reintroducing herself.
II. Present: Something Weird
* Isobel describes herself as large and not attractive; it is her 16th...
This section contains 2,007 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)