|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Chawla propose about the monkeys?
2. What does the atheist spy do when Pinky stabs him with her hairpin?
3. How does the Hungry Hop boy get the note to Pinky in Chapter 23?
4. What is Kulfi thinking about cooking in Chapter 21?
5. What is Sampath’s response to all the confusion with the plans and people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new town official arrives in Chapter 20? Who his new assistant, and what does his assistant tell him?
2. What does Mr. Chawla want to do with his money from Sampath’s fame? What does Sampath say about the idea?
3. How does the Hungry Hop boy feel about the girl his sisters have chosen for him to marry, and how does he get out of the house?
4. What does Sampath do when the monkeys return to the compound, and then what do the monkeys do?
5. What are the three plans that Verma, the Chief Medical Officer and the Brigadier come up with to solve the monkey problem?
6. How does Sampath end up friends with monkeys?
7. What do the monkeys do when they come back from the bazaar drunk?
8. Why is the Hungry Hop boy not outside in Chapter 22?
9. What is interfering with Sampath trying to console Pinky about the Hungry Hop boy?
10. What happens with the pictures the photographer takes of Sampath, and how does this change what is going on with Sampath?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Chawla reads aloud the article about the former post office employee who is living in a guava tree. The child-like man is spiritual in nature and has "unfathomable wisdom."
What do you think the author is implying about children and wisdom with the mention of this newspaper article? Explain the irony that Sampath is considered wise when his use of information he obtained by being dishonest is the cause of people seeing him as wise.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard interesting.
Thoroughly discuss and analyze Sampath. What are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he usually likable? Seldom likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas. Use the same criteria to thoroughly discuss and analyze Kufli and Mr. Chawla as well.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is one way for an author to convey big ideas and concepts to readers.
Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard. Are these universal symbols that would have the same meaning in any culture? What other symbols could portray the same idea? Why do you think Desai chooses the symbols he does? Consider symbols such as the guava tree, the monkey troupe, and the Hungry Hop boy, and Kulfi’s hunger.
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)