|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police do with Pinky when they first arrest her?
2. What does the atheist spy do when Pinky stabs him with her hairpin?
3. Why is the town official Mr. Chawla sees irritated at Mr. Chawla?
4. Where is one of Sampath’s pictures published?
5. What is Sampath’s response to all the confusion with the plans and people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new town official arrives in Chapter 20? Who his new assistant, and what does his assistant tell him?
2. What is interfering with Sampath trying to console Pinky about the Hungry Hop boy?
3. How does Pinky end up at the police station?
4. What is the Brigadier doing about the monkeys in Chapter 22?
5. What does Mr. Chawla want to do with his money from Sampath’s fame? What does Sampath say about the idea?
6. What happens at the first proposal meeting at the DC’s residence?
7. What happens with the pictures the photographer takes of Sampath, and how does this change what is going on with Sampath?
8. How does the Hungry Hop boy feel about the girl his sisters have chosen for him to marry, and how does he get out of the house?
9. What happens when the three men with plans for the monkey problem ask Sampath for his blessing?
10. What are the three plans that Verma, the Chief Medical Officer and the Brigadier come up with to solve the monkey problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the wedding party, Sampath attempts to find a new identity and leave his old, unhappy life behind him. By mooning his boss and the wedding guests, Sampath is showing his true feelings about them--that is, total disregard.
Why do you think Sampath chooses the wedding as the starting point for his rebellion against his life? How might a wedding be symbolic of a new start for Sampath? Do you think his method of demonstrating how he feels about his boss and the guests at the wedding is immature? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used in almost all works of fiction. Discuss the following:
What is foreshadowing? Identify three instances of foreshadowing in Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard and what they foreshadow? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense? Are there any incidences that you thought foreshadows a future event, but it does not do so?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of novels. Discuss the following:
Compare/contrast the characters of Sampath and Pinky. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples. Compare/contrast the characters of Kulfi and Mr. Chawla. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)