|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Hungry Hop boy feel about the girl to whom his sisters introduce him?
2. What religious temple takes up for the monkeys?
3. What does Pinky do when she meets up with the Hungry Hop boy in Chapter 11?
4. What is the Brigadier doing to help with the plan in Chapter 22?
5. Why is the town official Mr. Chawla sees irritated at Mr. Chawla?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with the pictures the photographer takes of Sampath, and how does this change what is going on with Sampath?
2. What do the monkeys do when they come back from the bazaar drunk?
3. What is interfering with Sampath trying to console Pinky about the Hungry Hop boy?
4. What happens when the three men with plans for the monkey problem ask Sampath for his blessing?
5. What is the Brigadier doing about the monkeys in Chapter 22?
6. What is Mr. Chawla’s plan for the monkeys?
7. Why is the Hungry Hop boy not outside in Chapter 22?
8. What happens that causes Sampath to lose control of the monkeys, and what do the monkeys do?
9. How does Sampath end up friends with monkeys?
10. Why does Mr. Chawla visit the Chief Medical Office? How does the officer feel about Mr. Chawla, and what does he tell Mr. Chawla?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many different types of characters in a novel, each with their own role and purpose.
Identify the protagonists of the story and why you believe they are such. Identify the antagonists of the story and why you believe they are such. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Which, if any, characters are not essential to the story? Explain.
Define the literary term "genre" and name three other genres in addition to the social criticism, satire genre. What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a novel? What do you think is the difference between a social criticism satire and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is one way for an author to convey big ideas and concepts to readers.
Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard. Are these universal symbols that would have the same meaning in any culture? What other symbols could portray the same idea? Why do you think Desai chooses the symbols he does? Consider symbols such as the guava tree, the monkey troupe, and the Hungry Hop boy, and Kulfi’s hunger.
Essay Topic 3
How a novel ends can play a big part of the readers’ experience and satisfaction in reading the book.
Do you think most people want a happy ending in a novel? Do you think Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard would qualify as a novel with a happy ending? Why or why not? What do you think are three reasons to read fiction and do you think Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard fulfills these three reasons? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)