|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are monkey bites dangerous?
2. In Chapter 18, what makes people believe the monkeys are dangerous?
3. What does Mr. Chawla propose about the monkeys?
4. How is the furor over the monkeys affecting Sampath?
5. Why do the monkeys go to the bazaar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Chawla visit the Chief Medical Office? How does the officer feel about Mr. Chawla, and what does he tell Mr. Chawla?
2. What are the three plans that Verma, the Chief Medical Officer and the Brigadier come up with to solve the monkey problem?
3. What happens when the three men with plans for the monkey problem ask Sampath for his blessing?
4. What does Pinky decide to do about the Hungry Hop boy being afraid of her?
5. What does the man in the biology department think about when he is reading the article about the monkeys in the orchard and what does his wife say?
6. What happens with the pictures the photographer takes of Sampath, and how does this change what is going on with Sampath?
7. How does Pinky get the Hungry Hop boy to like her again?
8. How does Pinky end up at the police station?
9. What is interfering with Sampath trying to console Pinky about the Hungry Hop boy?
10. What does Sampath do when the monkeys return to the compound, and then what do the monkeys do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of novels. Discuss the following:
Compare/contrast the characters of Sampath and Pinky. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples. Compare/contrast the characters of Kulfi and Mr. Chawla. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
Essay Topic 2
There are many different types of characters in a novel, each with their own role and purpose.
Identify the protagonists of the story and why you believe they are such. Identify the antagonists of the story and why you believe they are such. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Which, if any, characters are not essential to the story? Explain.
Define the literary term "genre" and name three other genres in addition to the social criticism, satire genre. What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a novel? What do you think is the difference between a social criticism satire and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard interesting.
Thoroughly discuss and analyze Sampath. What are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he usually likable? Seldom likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas. Use the same criteria to thoroughly discuss and analyze Kufli and Mr. Chawla as well.
This section contains 1,450 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)