|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sampath’s responses to visitors include?
2. What are Amma and Kulfi doing at the orchard in Chapter 8?
3. What does the rising sun in Chapter 2 reveal to Sampath?
4. What does Sampath do with a pile of letters he is given in Chapter 4?
5. With what dos Mr. Chawla line the windows?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Kulfi end up married to Mr. Chawla?
2. How does the Chawla family first react to Sampath living in a tree, and what does Kulfi say about it?
3. How does Pinky feel about what sections her father reads in the newspaper? What does she find interesting in the news?
4. What does Kulfi do when Sampath’s father is talking to him about getting fired? What happens after Sampath takes Kulfi’s offering?
5. What does Sampath do during the night in Chapter 2? What does he see in the morning? What does his grandmother say to him in the morning?
6. How does Pinky feel about all the attention given to her brother? What happens when she goes to the bazaar, and what does Mr. Chawla tell her to do about it?
7. What does Sampath do when he is given a pile of letters at work in Chapter 4?
8. In Chapter 8, how is the Chawla family taking care of Sampath in the tree?
9. What does Sampath do when he leaves the bus in Chapter 6?
10. How is Shahkot’s problem finally alleviated, and what does Kulfi do when the answer comes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is one way for an author to convey big ideas and concepts to readers.
Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard. Are these universal symbols that would have the same meaning in any culture? What other symbols could portray the same idea? Why do you think Desai chooses the symbols he does? Consider symbols such as the guava tree, the monkey troupe, and the Hungry Hop boy, and Kulfi’s hunger.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of novels. Discuss the following:
Compare/contrast the characters of Sampath and Pinky. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples. Compare/contrast the characters of Kulfi and Mr. Chawla. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about what they know, so sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting.
Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Kiran Desai. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Desai's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Desai's probable agenda concerning that idea.
This section contains 1,479 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)