|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sampath do with a pile of letters he is given in Chapter 4?
2. Who wants to expose Sampath as a fraud?
3. Who drops a large supply of food outside Kulfi’s house?
4. How much money does the Chawla family begin to make off Sampath?
5. Why does Sampath begin to look better physically?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Chawla do about his wife’s pregnancy? What does his mother suggest, and what does Kulfi do?
2. What happens to Amma and Pinky when they go to the denture market?
3. How is Pinky getting to work when Chapter 4 opens, and what happens with that form of transportation?
4. How does the Chawla family react to Sampath’s disappearance in Chapter 6?
5. How does Pinky feel about what sections her father reads in the newspaper? What does she find interesting in the news?
6. What is the problem in Shahkot, India, and what are some of the ways the people think to try and solve the problem?
7. What does Kulfi do when Sampath’s father is talking to him about getting fired? What happens after Sampath takes Kulfi’s offering?
8. What does Sampath do when he leaves the bus in Chapter 6?
9. How does Pinky feel about all the attention given to her brother? What happens when she goes to the bazaar, and what does Mr. Chawla tell her to do about it?
10. How does the Chawla family first react to Sampath living in a tree, and what does Kulfi say about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many different types of characters in a novel, each with their own role and purpose.
Identify the protagonists of the story and why you believe they are such. Identify the antagonists of the story and why you believe they are such. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Which, if any, characters are not essential to the story? Explain.
Define the literary term "genre" and name three other genres in addition to the social criticism, satire genre. What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a novel? What do you think is the difference between a social criticism satire and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard interesting.
Thoroughly discuss and analyze Sampath. What are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he usually likable? Seldom likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas. Use the same criteria to thoroughly discuss and analyze Kufli and Mr. Chawla as well.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Chawla likes to have attention--he makes noise and demands to gain the notice not only of his family but of the entire neighborhood. He prides himself in having an important position at the bank. He feels superior to his son, whom he considers a failure with no ambition.
Discuss what Mr. Chawla’s need for attention says about his feelings about himself. Do you think there is a possibility that Mr. Chawla actually feels inferior to most people? Why or why not? How might Mr. Chawla’s need to be noticed relate to how he feels about his son?
This section contains 1,551 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)