|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Kulfi bribe the butcher?
2. What does Kulfi collect in the woods and ponds?
3. With what does Mr. Chawla become obsessed?
4. Where does the Chawla family seek help in Chapter 6?
5. On whom does Mr. Chawla blame Sampath’s behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Chawla feel towards Sampath at breakfast in Chapter 3? What does he do, and what is Sampath’s response?
2. In Chapter 7, how does Sampath end up being considered a wise man?
3. Why does the reporter from the atheist society think Sampath might be on drugs, and what does the reporter decide to do?
4. How does Sampath amaze Jyotsna with his knowledge?
5. What does Kulfi do when Sampath’s father is talking to him about getting fired? What happens after Sampath takes Kulfi’s offering?
6. Where does Sampath sneak off to during the wedding, and what does he do?
7. How is Shahkot’s problem finally alleviated, and what does Kulfi do when the answer comes?
8. What does Mr. Chawla do about his wife’s pregnancy? What does his mother suggest, and what does Kulfi do?
9. How is Pinky getting to work when Chapter 4 opens, and what happens with that form of transportation?
10. Who helps Kulfi deliver her baby? What is distinguishing about the baby? What is he named?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many different types of characters in a novel, each with their own role and purpose.
Identify the protagonists of the story and why you believe they are such. Identify the antagonists of the story and why you believe they are such. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Which, if any, characters are not essential to the story? Explain.
Define the literary term "genre" and name three other genres in addition to the social criticism, satire genre. What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a novel? What do you think is the difference between a social criticism satire and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Chawla reads aloud the article about the former post office employee who is living in a guava tree. The child-like man is spiritual in nature and has "unfathomable wisdom."
What do you think the author is implying about children and wisdom with the mention of this newspaper article? Explain the irony that Sampath is considered wise when his use of information he obtained by being dishonest is the cause of people seeing him as wise.
Essay Topic 3
The viewpoint of the character.
Imagine you one of the characters in Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard. Discuss why or how you would act differently to various situations than the character you have chosen.
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)