|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police in Shahkot offer to sponsor?
2. What does Mr. Chawla do that makes noise when he showers?
3. What does Kulfi think about all the time?
4. What does Amma want Kulfi to do in Chapter 1?
5. Why does Sampath begin to look better physically?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Sampath sneak off to during the wedding, and what does he do?
2. What does the atheist spy decide about Sampath’s food? How does the atheist spy try to investigate it? How does Kulfi’s cooking relate to the number of hours Mr. Chawla allows people to see Sampath?
3. What does Sampath do when he leaves the bus in Chapter 6?
4. How does Sampath amaze Jyotsna with his knowledge?
5. How is Shahkot’s problem finally alleviated, and what does Kulfi do when the answer comes?
6. What happens at the moment of Kulfi’s baby’s birth?
7. How does Pinky feel about all the attention given to her brother? What happens when she goes to the bazaar, and what does Mr. Chawla tell her to do about it?
8. Why does the reporter from the atheist society think Sampath might be on drugs, and what does the reporter decide to do?
9. What kind of food is Kulfi feeding Sampath, and what does she do in order to cook it?
10. In Chapter 10, what does the family finally do about Sampath staying in the orchard, and how does Mr. Chawla set it up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used in almost all works of fiction. Discuss the following:
What is foreshadowing? Identify three instances of foreshadowing in Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard and what they foreshadow? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense? Are there any incidences that you thought foreshadows a future event, but it does not do so?
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about what they know, so sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting.
Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Kiran Desai. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Desai's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Desai's probable agenda concerning that idea.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Chawla likes to have attention--he makes noise and demands to gain the notice not only of his family but of the entire neighborhood. He prides himself in having an important position at the bank. He feels superior to his son, whom he considers a failure with no ambition.
Discuss what Mr. Chawla’s need for attention says about his feelings about himself. Do you think there is a possibility that Mr. Chawla actually feels inferior to most people? Why or why not? How might Mr. Chawla’s need to be noticed relate to how he feels about his son?
This section contains 1,368 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)