|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sampath begin to look better physically?
(a) Being out in the fresh air is good for him.
(b) He not longer hates waking up in the morning.
(c) Kulfi makes gourmet food for him.
(d) He is away from his father.
2. When Sampath’s family and others gather beneath the tree in Chapter 7, what does Sampath say?
(a) He tells his family and neighbors to prepare for a drought.
(b) He begins to tell people what to do based on the letters he had read at his job.
(c) He begins to preach of a mighty God.
(d) Nothing, he will not speak.
3. What is keeping Sampath awake in Chapter 2?
(a) His father yelling at a neighbor.
(b) His grandmother moaning in pain.
(c) His family snoring.
(d) His mother watching television.
4. What does the monkey take from Amma at the market?
(a) Her new sari.
(b) An advertising leaflet with Sampath’s picture on it.
(c) Sampath’s new clothes.
(d) An ice cream cone.
5. Who drops a large supply of food outside Kulfi’s house?
(a) The Indian government.
(b) The American Relief Society.
(c) A Swedish Red Cross plane.
(d) The European Aid Foundation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kulfi tell the rest of the family about Sampath in Chapter 6?
2. For what is Sampath’s boss recruiting some of his employees?
3. With what does Mr. Chawla become obsessed?
4. What does Kulfi offer Sampath when his father is criticizing him for his behavior at the wedding?
5. What does Kulfi know about Sampath?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Chawla do about his wife’s pregnancy? What does his mother suggest, and what does Kulfi do?
2. How does Kulfi feel about Sampath living in the tree, and what does she do for him?
3. What does Sampath do when he leaves the bus in Chapter 6?
4. What does the atheist spy decide about Sampath’s food? How does the atheist spy try to investigate it? How does Kulfi’s cooking relate to the number of hours Mr. Chawla allows people to see Sampath?
5. How does Pinky feel about all the attention given to her brother? What happens when she goes to the bazaar, and what does Mr. Chawla tell her to do about it?
6. How does the Chawla family first react to Sampath living in a tree, and what does Kulfi say about it?
7. How is Shahkot’s problem finally alleviated, and what does Kulfi do when the answer comes?
8. Where does Sampath sneak off to during the wedding, and what does he do?
9. What does Sampath do when he is given a pile of letters at work in Chapter 4?
10. In Chapter 8, how is the Chawla family taking care of Sampath in the tree?
This section contains 1,427 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)