|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is keeping Sampath awake in Chapter 2?
(a) His grandmother moaning in pain.
(b) His mother watching television.
(c) His family snoring.
(d) His father yelling at a neighbor.
2. Why does Sampath begin to look better physically?
(a) He is away from his father.
(b) He not longer hates waking up in the morning.
(c) Kulfi makes gourmet food for him.
(d) Being out in the fresh air is good for him.
3. What does Amma sell to visitors at the orchard in Chapter 10?
(a) Ice cream.
(c) Bowls of curried rice.
(d) Hot buns.
4. What picture does Sampath think about on his way home from work in Chapter 4?
(a) A painting done by his mother.
(b) A picture of a huge mansion.
(c) A beautiful princess.
(d) An ape with a very big, red bottom.
5. Why did Miss Jyotsna have to get new clothes?
(a) Her husband hates the color of her sari.
(b) She burned her sari.
(c) She does not have to get new clothes.
(d) Her sari was ripped off her.
6. What kind of books does Mr. Chawla buy in Chapter 1?
(a) Books on motivating a wife.
(b) Books on how to find a new job.
(c) Books on babies.
(d) Books on confronting family members.
7. What does Vermaji invent?
(a) A new kind of cricket bat.
(b) A giant fan.
(c) A large area humidifier.
(d) An electric car engine.
8. To what food does Mr. Chawla compare Sampath?
(a) An orange.
(c) A potato.
(d) A cherry.
9. What do the police in Shahkot offer to sponsor?
(a) A pre-cricket match dance.
(b) A frog wedding.
(c) A registration of children in town.
(d) A self-defense course.
10. Why is Sampath miserable at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) He cannot find a job.
(b) There is a heat wave.
(c) His girlfriend broke up with him.
(d) He did not get accepted at the college he wanted.
11. Why does Mr. Chawla send Pinky with Amma to the market?
(a) So Amma can advertise for Sampath.
(b) So Amma can get a set of dentures.
(c) So Amma can get Sampath new clothes.
(d) So Amma can meet the man Pinky likes.
12. For what is everyone in Shahkot hoping at the beginning of the book?
(a) More jobs.
(b) Warmer weather.
(d) The president will visit.
13. What increases Sampath’s popularity in Chapter 11?
(a) r. Chawla cuts visiting hours.
(b) Sampath begins to predict the future.
(c) Kulfi begins to sell some of her concoctions.
(d) Pinky begins to recite poetry she writes with his pithy sayings.
14. In Chapter 5, what does Sampath tell his mother he wants?
(a) A new girlfriend
(b) A new job.
(c) His freedom.
(d) An egg.
15. How does Sampath know the food his mother cooks him is not poisonous?
(a) There is no reason to think the food might be poisonous.
(b) Mr. Chawla has a dog that eats it first.
(c) His mother always eats a bite first.
(d) Mr. Chawla has chickens that taste the food first.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Sampath’s boss recruiting some of his employees?
2. What does Pinky do at the tree when she and Amma get back from the market?
3. What happens when Pinky goes to the bazaar one day?
4. Where does the Chawla family seek help in Chapter 6?
5. What does Mr. Chawla do that makes noise when he showers?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)