|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Chawla complain to his mother in Chapter 1?
(a) His sister continues to steal money from him.
(b) His mother arranged his marriage.
(c) His wife will not clean the house.
(d) His boss wants him to work too many hours.
2. How does Sampath know the food his mother cooks him is not poisonous?
(a) There is no reason to think the food might be poisonous.
(b) Mr. Chawla has a dog that eats it first.
(c) Mr. Chawla has chickens that taste the food first.
(d) His mother always eats a bite first.
3. Where does Sampath work?
(a) The post office.
(b) The grocery store.
(c) His father’s bank
(d) The library.
4. What does Mr. Chawla do in the mornings before work?
(a) Plays with his son.
(b) Reads one chapter in a book.
(c) Exercise in the courtyard.
(d) Does one half hour of meditation.
5. Who drops a large supply of food outside Kulfi’s house?
(a) The American Relief Society.
(b) The Indian government.
(c) A Swedish Red Cross plane.
(d) The European Aid Foundation.
6. What does Mr. Chawla do that makes noise when he showers?
(a) He does not make noise when he showers.
(b) Clangs buckets together.
(c) Sings at the top of his lungs.
(d) Pounds on the shower wall.
7. When Sampath is first born, what does he seem like to Kulfi?
(a) The perfect child.
(b) Alien to her.
(c) The smartest baby she has ever known.
(d) The most wonderful baby in the world.
8. In Chapter 4, why is Sampath told to come to work early the next day?
(a) So he can take some documents across town by eight.
(b) His shift is changing to start an hour earlier.
(c) He is getting overtime.
(d) He did not get all his work done.
9. Where is Sampath’s family going at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) A wedding.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) On vacation.
(d) His grandparents’ house.
10. For what does Mr. Chawla scold Sampath in Chapter 3?
(a) For Sampath moping over his girlfriend.
(b) For Sampath’s inability to get a better job or a raise.
(c) Because Sampath did not get into the best college.
(d) Because Sampath is too attached to Sampath’s mother.
11. What does the local holy man tell the family in Chapter 7?
(a) To find Sampath a wife.
(b) To leave the boy alone.
(c) To have Sampath committed to an institute.
(d) To sit near Sampath and meditate.
12. How much money does the Chawla family begin to make off Sampath?
(a) They do not make any money off Sampath.
(b) Enough to put huge amounts into a savings account.
(c) More than Mr. Chawla makes at his job.
(d) Just a little money.
13. What brings Sampath joy in Chapter 2?
(a) Getting accepted at another college.
(b) When he plays his guitar.
(c) When he sings about meeting a princess.
(d) When his girlfriend returns to him.
14. Where does Mr. Chawla work?
(a) At the local firework factory.
(b) For the government.
(c) He is the mayor of Shahkot.
(d) At a bank.
15. What does Mr. Chawla decide in Chapter 8 that Sampath could do for the family?
(a) Make the family famous.
(b) Get them into the movies.
(c) Get them into a bigger house.
(d) Make a lot of money for the family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of pictures does Kulfi draw?
2. With what does Kulfi bribe the butcher?
3. What does Amma sell to visitors at the orchard in Chapter 10?
4. What does the Chawla family do about their missing son?
5. What do the police in Shahkot offer to sponsor?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)