|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sampath do with a pile of letters he is given in Chapter 4?
(a) Takes them to the post office.
(b) Reads them and takes notes for his boss.
(c) Steams them open and reads them.
(d) Sorts them into piles by sender.
2. In Chapter 4, why is Sampath told to come to work early the next day?
(a) He is getting overtime.
(b) So he can take some documents across town by eight.
(c) His shift is changing to start an hour earlier.
(d) He did not get all his work done.
3. Why is Pinky mortified around the ice cream boy in Chapter 9?
(a) He laughs at Amma.
(b) He laughs at the monkey.
(c) He looks her over carefully.
(d) She is dressed so plain and unattractive.
4. What happens when Pinky goes to the bazaar one day?
(a) She meets a man she really likes.
(b) A man follows her.
(c) She buys two books.
(d) She spills cooking oil on her new clothes
5. What does the person who wants to expose Sampath as a fraud think might be true when he smells the air around the tree?
(a) Sampath might be on drugs.
(b) Sampath is not bathing regularly.
(c) Sampath’s chamber pot is being emptied too close to the tree.
(d) Sampath is being fed strange food.
6. Where does Sampath work?
(a) The post office.
(b) The library.
(c) His father’s bank
(d) The grocery store.
7. What brings Sampath joy in Chapter 2?
(a) When his girlfriend returns to him.
(b) When he plays his guitar.
(c) When he sings about meeting a princess.
(d) Getting accepted at another college.
8. What does Amma want Kulfi to do in Chapter 1?
(a) Sit down and watch television.
(c) Take vitamins.
(d) Take herbs and sing.
9. What does the rising sun in Chapter 2 reveal to Sampath?
(a) The ugly parts of his neighborhood.
(b) His grandmother in the back yard.
(c) His best friend washing his car.
(d) His father returning to the house.
10. What does Sampath mention to Jyotsna one day in Chapter 8?
(a) Where her son moved.
(b) That her daughter is going to have twins.
(c) Her debt to the sari shop
(d) That she bought too many clothes.
11. Where does Mr. Chawla work?
(a) He is the mayor of Shahkot.
(b) For the government.
(c) At a bank.
(d) At the local firework factory.
12. What does Sampath finally do in Chapter 2 after he is unable to sleep?
(a) Turns the television off.
(b) Goes to his girlfriend’s house.
(c) Goes on the roof.
(d) Writes an application for another college.
13. What does the person investigating Sampath begin to suspect in Chapter 11?
(a) Sampath gets his powers from his mother’s food.
(b) Sampath is using his mother and father.
(c) Sampath’s sister is the actual wise person.
(d) Sampath might be the real thing.
14. How does Pinky decide she is going to get to work in Chapter 4?
(a) On the back of Sampath’s bike.
(b) Her boyfriend will pick her up.
(c) Her father will drop her off.
(d) On the bus.
15. On whom does Mr. Chawla blame Sampath’s behavior?
(a) On his wife.
(b) On Sampath’s former boss.
(c) On his daughter.
(d) On his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sampath do at a wedding he attends?
2. Who wants to expose Sampath as a fraud?
3. What does Sampath find at the wedding when he sneaks into the house?
4. What does Kulfi offer Sampath when his father is criticizing him for his behavior at the wedding?
5. What increases Sampath’s popularity in Chapter 11?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)