|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the goat herders say are in the woods?
(a) Poisonous plants.
(b) Snakes, scorpions and leeches.
(d) Wolves and snakes.
2. Who wants to expose Sampath as a fraud?
(a) A reporter from an atheist society.
(b) A college professor from the philosophy department.
(c) A reporter from the local newspaper.
(d) A local holy man.
3. What does Mr. Chawla realize is part of Sampath’s appeal?
(a) That Sampath has rejected modern luxuries.
(b) Sampath’s apparent humility.
(c) That Sampath is kind to everyone.
(d) Sampath’s ability to make people laugh.
4. As shown in Chapter 2, what does Mr. Chawla demand from his family?
(a) To clean up the house.
(b) Help in getting ready for work.
(c) To meet him for lunch.
(d) To go and get jobs.
5. What does the monkey take from Amma at the market?
(a) Her new sari.
(b) An ice cream cone.
(c) Sampath’s new clothes.
(d) An advertising leaflet with Sampath’s picture on it.
6. What does the Chawla family do about their missing son?
(a) They go to the police.
(b) They visit his girlfriend’s house.
(c) They call all his friends.
(d) They wait for him to come home.
7. What do Sampath’s responses to visitors include?
(a) Obtuse sayings and information from the newspaper.
(b) News out of the paper and personal information on the visitors.
(c) Information he learned at work.
(d) Information he already knows and lyrical words of wisdom.
8. When Sampath’s family and others gather beneath the tree in Chapter 7, what does Sampath say?
(a) He begins to preach of a mighty God.
(b) He tells his family and neighbors to prepare for a drought.
(c) Nothing, he will not speak.
(d) He begins to tell people what to do based on the letters he had read at his job.
9. What picture does Sampath think about on his way home from work in Chapter 4?
(a) A picture of a huge mansion.
(b) An ape with a very big, red bottom.
(c) A painting done by his mother.
(d) A beautiful princess.
10. Why is Sampath miserable at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) He cannot find a job.
(b) His girlfriend broke up with him.
(c) He did not get accepted at the college he wanted.
(d) There is a heat wave.
11. What does the local holy man tell the family in Chapter 7?
(a) To sit near Sampath and meditate.
(b) To have Sampath committed to an institute.
(c) To leave the boy alone.
(d) To find Sampath a wife.
12. What do the police in Shahkot offer to sponsor?
(a) A pre-cricket match dance.
(b) A frog wedding.
(c) A registration of children in town.
(d) A self-defense course.
13. What does Mr. Chawla do in the mornings before work?
(a) Reads one chapter in a book.
(b) Plays with his son.
(c) Exercise in the courtyard.
(d) Does one half hour of meditation.
14. For what does Mr. Chawla scold Sampath in Chapter 3?
(a) For Sampath’s inability to get a better job or a raise.
(b) Because Sampath did not get into the best college.
(c) For Sampath moping over his girlfriend.
(d) Because Sampath is too attached to Sampath’s mother.
15. What does Vermaji invent?
(a) A new kind of cricket bat.
(b) An electric car engine.
(c) A large area humidifier.
(d) A giant fan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sampath do at a wedding he attends?
2. For what is everyone in Shahkot hoping at the beginning of the book?
3. How old is Kulfi Chawla?
4. Why does Sampath begin to look better physically?
5. In Chapter 5, what does Sampath tell his mother he wants?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)