|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pinky do to a man who winks at her?
(a) Kicks him in the shin.
(b) Sticks him with her hair pin.
(c) Stomps on his foot.
2. On whom does Mr. Chawla blame Sampath’s behavior?
(a) On his wife.
(b) On his daughter.
(c) On his mother.
(d) On Sampath’s former boss.
3. To what food does Mr. Chawla compare Sampath?
(b) A potato.
(c) A cherry.
(d) An orange.
4. What does Sampath mention to Jyotsna one day in Chapter 8?
(a) That she bought too many clothes.
(b) That her daughter is going to have twins.
(c) Her debt to the sari shop
(d) Where her son moved.
5. Why does Sampath begin to look better physically?
(a) Kulfi makes gourmet food for him.
(b) He not longer hates waking up in the morning.
(c) He is away from his father.
(d) Being out in the fresh air is good for him.
6. Who wants to expose Sampath as a fraud?
(a) A local holy man.
(b) A reporter from the local newspaper.
(c) A college professor from the philosophy department.
(d) A reporter from an atheist society.
7. Why did Miss Jyotsna have to get new clothes?
(a) Her sari was ripped off her.
(b) She burned her sari.
(c) She does not have to get new clothes.
(d) Her husband hates the color of her sari.
8. Why is Sampath miserable at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) He cannot find a job.
(b) His girlfriend broke up with him.
(c) He did not get accepted at the college he wanted.
(d) There is a heat wave.
9. What does the old woman on the bus in Chapter 6 keep asking Sampath about?
(a) His girlfriend.
(b) His schooling.
(c) Whether he might like her granddaughter.
(d) His family and his job.
10. What does Vermaji invent?
(a) An electric car engine.
(b) A new kind of cricket bat.
(c) A large area humidifier.
(d) A giant fan.
11. When Sampath is first born, what does he seem like to Kulfi?
(a) The smartest baby she has ever known.
(b) The most wonderful baby in the world.
(c) The perfect child.
(d) Alien to her.
12. Where does Sampath work?
(a) His father’s bank
(b) The library.
(c) The post office.
(d) The grocery store.
13. What does Mr. Chawla decide in Chapter 8 that Sampath could do for the family?
(a) Get them into a bigger house.
(b) Make a lot of money for the family.
(c) Get them into the movies.
(d) Make the family famous.
14. How old is Kulfi Chawla?
15. What does Sampath finally do in Chapter 2 after he is unable to sleep?
(a) Writes an application for another college.
(b) Goes to his girlfriend’s house.
(c) Goes on the roof.
(d) Turns the television off.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sampath do with a pile of letters he is given in Chapter 4?
2. What does the person investigating Sampath begin to suspect in Chapter 11?
3. What does Mr. Chawla sell to orchard visitors in Chapter 10?
4. How did Sampath find out about Jyotsna’s secret?
5. Where is Sampath’s family going at the beginning of Chapter 6?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)