|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Huey proposed a bill for a tax on ______________ to provide revenue for hospitals and charitable organizations.
2. To which commission did Huey win an election?
3. In what year did Huey quit high school?
4. What was Huey often accused of being?
5. Many people characterized Huey as _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the nature of the severance tax on which Huey and Parker disagreed?
2. Describe Huey's campaign strategies during his run for governor in 1923.
3. What were some of Huey's innovative campaign techniques?
4. In what type of household did Huey grow up?
5. How did Huey's fight against the Cumberland Company's rate increases highlight his ability to fight for common people?
6. Describe Huey's sales ability.
7. What impact did Huey's brother, Julius, have on Huey's life?
8. What happened after Huey lost a few sales jobs and ended up broke in Memphis?
9. How successful was Huey's law practice?
10. Sum up Huey Long's life up until his time as a U.S. Senator.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Huey Long was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Huey's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
According to the author, even before Huey was a player on the national and international stages, he was known to be a man of questionable integrity and deceit. Cite some examples in Huey's life that support this statement. What is Williams' overall perception of Huey's character?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting and time period for Huey's childhood What was America like during this time period? What was the American South like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and concerns of Huey, his family, and friends?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)