|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what state had Huey's parents come when they moved the family to Louisiana in 1859?
2. Which candidates usually won when they had the support of the Ring?
3. How old was Huey Long when he became governor?
4. With what major oil company did Parker broker a deal regarding taxes?
5. What was the main charge on which Huey would be tried in impeachment proceedings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What personal privileges did Huey take at taxpayer expense?
2. Describe Huey as a child.
3. What were Huey's political aspirations?
4. What was Bloody Monday?
5. What was the nature of the severance tax on which Huey and Parker disagreed?
6. What were the circumstances behind of the first attempt to impeach Huey?
7. Who was John M. Parker and what was his political nemesis?
8. What was the big case regarding bridges that influenced Huey's career?
9. What were some of the campaign promises Huey delivered on and how did he plan to finance them?
10. How successful was Huey's law practice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to the author, even before Huey was a player on the national and international stages, he was known to be a man of questionable integrity and deceit. Cite some examples in Huey's life that support this statement. What is Williams' overall perception of Huey's character?
Essay Topic 2
HUEY LONG is a classic biography. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of men in the early 20th century when Huey and his colleagues were coming of age. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms, if any, did they have that 21st century men do not?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)