|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What distance has Aunt Polly traveled to check up on Tom?
2. What is the problem with Jim being imprisoned in a log cabin?
3. Where was Aunt Sally's apron in Chapter 37?
4. How does Tom arrive back at the Phelps farm in Chapter 42?
5. What doesn't Tom Sawyer like about Huck's plan for releasing Jim?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on Tom's proposed plans to recompense and appease Jim, who has suffered the most from Tom's absurd endeavors.
2. How does Huck intend to deal with the problem of the arrival of the real Tom Sawyer?
3. How does Aunt Sally respond to Huck's information about the way the boys entered and exited via the lightning rod?
4. In what interesting way does the arrival of Tom Sawyer in Chapter 33 develop the narrative?
5. Is there any rationale for the King confessing to hiding the money in the coffin?
6. How has the situation escalated by Chapter 40?
7. What human vice ironically provides the means for Huck and the con men to escape after the Wilks fraud?
8. Is there any way in which Tom Sawyer's character appears a little unpleasant at this point in the novel (by Chapter 35)?
9. How does Huck feel when he glimpses the King and the Duke rowing fast towards the raft in Chapter 29?
10. What is Jim's final act of kindness towards Huck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrative in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn deals with a series of deceptions. Sometimes it is a matter of self-deception, while other events involve deliberate acts of deception for varying motives. In an essay, discuss the importance of deception and cite two examples, providing adequate details. You might include discussion on whether or not deception can be justified.
Essay Topic 2
Female characters in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn are somewhat marginalized. Do you agree? Discuss with close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the idea of resourcefulness and why it is important in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Discuss the way in which this quality is demonstrated in two characters of your choice.
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)