|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The doctor uses the word "singular." In the context, what does this word mean?
2. According to Tom, what is the problem with Jim's captivity?
3. What makes Huck squirm in Chapter 30?
4. What explanation for Tom's absence does Huck give Uncle Silas in Chapter 41?
5. What distance has Aunt Polly traveled to check up on Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. By Chapter 38, what is Jim's attitude to the efforts being made on his behalf?
2. How does Huck feel when he glimpses the King and the Duke rowing fast towards the raft in Chapter 29?
3. Is there any rationale for the King confessing to hiding the money in the coffin?
4. How does Tom overreach himself in his elaborate construction of fantasy in Chapter 39?
5. What final absurdity does Tom attempt in Chapter 40?
6. What steps in Huck's journey to maturity are dealt with Chapter 31?
7. In what way does the opening paragraph of Chapter 31 foreshadow following events?
8. In what way does Huck get more than he's bargained for at the Phelps farm?
9. How does Aunt Sally respond to Huck's information about the way the boys entered and exited via the lightning rod?
10. What is ironic about Huck's comment to Tom: "Your head gets leveler and leveler all the time"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Since The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was published, much discussion has focused on the significance of the river/shore contrast. In a fluent essay, explain your personal response to this. What do you think is important about the river and in what important ways does it contrast with the shore?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the important differences between the characters Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, as presented in the first four chapters of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
For many, the conclusion of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a failure. Why do you think some people hold that view? Do you agree or disagree with it? Write a fluent essay in which you discuss and evaluate the final two chapters of the novel.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)