|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which characters are dreadfully blue and desperate in Chapter 31?
2. What does Huck confess to Aunt Sally in Chapter 41?
3. Who built Silas Phelps' church?
4. Which animal does Tom suggest Jim might tame?
5. Why isn't Jim able to sleep in Chapter 39?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the opening paragraph of Chapter 31 foreshadow following events?
2. What is Jim's final act of kindness towards Huck?
3. In what interesting way does the arrival of Tom Sawyer in Chapter 33 develop the narrative?
4. How does Huck intend to deal with the problem of the arrival of the real Tom Sawyer?
5. How does Huck feel when he glimpses the King and the Duke rowing fast towards the raft in Chapter 29?
6. Comment on the way in which Tom and Huck confuse the slave who is guarding Jim.
7. In what way does each boy's rescue plan for Jim reflect his outlook on life?
8. What precautions are taken in the Phelps household after the notes are received?
9. Account for the way the townspeople now view Jim as some sort of lunatic in Chapter 41.
10. In what way does Huck get more than he's bargained for at the Phelps farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The real hero of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn' is Jim. Do you believe this to be a fair comment? Give clear reasons expressed in a fluent essay that refers closely to the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the important differences between the characters Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, as presented in the first four chapters of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The activities of the King and the Duke show readers as much about the victims of fraud as it does about the perpetrators. Discuss, making close reference to the text. Include a detailed discussion of one of these characters' scams.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)