|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What injury has the real William Wilks sustained?
2. What is the problem with Jim keeping a journal?
3. In Chapter 35, what does Tom instruct Huck to do?
4. Who built Silas Phelps' church?
5. Where will Huck be able to find Jim?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the events of Chapter 37 continue to sustain Twain's satirical purpose?
2. Comment on Tom's proposed plans to recompense and appease Jim, who has suffered the most from Tom's absurd endeavors.
3. Is there any rationale for the King confessing to hiding the money in the coffin?
4. What steps in Huck's journey to maturity are dealt with Chapter 31?
5. What is ironic about Huck's comment to Tom: "Your head gets leveler and leveler all the time"?
6. What precautions are taken in the Phelps household after the notes are received?
7. What is Jim's final act of kindness towards Huck?
8. How does Huck feel when he glimpses the King and the Duke rowing fast towards the raft in Chapter 29?
9. By Chapter 38, what is Jim's attitude to the efforts being made on his behalf?
10. In what way does Huck get more than he's bargained for at the Phelps farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The action in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn teeters between the comic and the tragic. Do you agree? Refer to specific incidents.
Essay Topic 2
The real hero of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn' is Jim. Do you believe this to be a fair comment? Give clear reasons expressed in a fluent essay that refers closely to the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the important differences between the characters Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, as presented in the first four chapters of the novel.
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)