|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Huck take a canoe up a 'chute' in Chapter 19?
2. What forms the basis of the humorous conversation in Chapter 14?
3. Why does Huck want Mary Jane to leave before breakfast?
4. What is the 'good place' to which Miss Watson keeps referring?
5. How do Huck and Jim first conceal themselves on the Illinois shore?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Huck discover that the local authorities are in pursuit of Jim?
2. Comment on the capacity for fantasy possessed by each main character as seen by Chapter 2 in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
3. What important difference between Huck and Jim is suggested during the conversation about King Solomon?
4. In Chapter 13, why does Huck again find it necessary to adopt a disguise?
5. What is ironic about Jim claiming that a snakeskin brings bad luck?
6. How does Twainagain explore the idea of conscience in Chapter 23?
7. How does Twain satirize popular literature in Chapter 17?
8. How do readers know that Huck feels deeply for Mary Jane?
9. What makes Huck ashamed of his humanity in Chapter 24?
10. What does Chapter 4 show the reader about Huckleberry Finn's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For many, the conclusion of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a failure. Why do you think some people hold that view? Do you agree or disagree with it? Write a fluent essay in which you discuss and evaluate the final two chapters of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the idea of resourcefulness and why it is important in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Discuss the way in which this quality is demonstrated in two characters of your choice.
Essay Topic 3
The action in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn teeters between the comic and the tragic. Do you agree? Refer to specific incidents.
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)