|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action does Jim fear will bring bad luck?
2. What explanation does Huck give for having the gun in his hands?
3. Which of these statements is closest to a description of Huck's father?
4. Who gives new clothes to Pappy?
5. How is Jim alerted to the coming lightning storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joanna demonstrate that she has intelligence and a healthy skepticism?
2. Comment on Huck's experience of prayer in Chapter 3.
3. What makes Huck ashamed of his humanity in Chapter 24?
4. How do Jim and Huck survive as they travel down the river on the raft?
5. In what sense does Jim reach his moral nadir when he considers buying his children from their owner?
6. Comment upon Huck's observation that, in the present situation, "the truth is better, and actuly safer, than a lie."
7. How does Twain satirize popular literature in Chapter 17?
8. In Chapter 13, why does Huck again find it necessary to adopt a disguise?
9. What is significant about the murder of Boggs?
10. In what ways are the scoundrels able to gain favor with the Wilks girls and the townsfolk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Female characters in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn are somewhat marginalized. Do you agree? Discuss with close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 2
What are the main types of conflict in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn? Identify two areas of conflict in the novel (these could be internal and/or external conflicts) and discuss the importance of these for the novel as a whole. Make close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 3
There are many scenes in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn in which a clash of values occurs. Discuss two character's whose values clash and how this clash affects the plot.
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)