|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Huck and Jim first conceal themselves on the Illinois shore?
2. In Chapter 28, where was the auction held?
3. Which people did Huck and Tom intend to ambush?
4. Why do the murderers defer leaving in the skiff?
5. What does Huck do with his money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chapter 4 show the reader about Huckleberry Finn's character?
2. How might Pappy's rejection of Huck's achievements at school be explained?
3. How seriously should readers take the disclaimer "By Order of the Author"?
4. What is ironic about Jim claiming that a snakeskin brings bad luck?
5. What makes Huck ashamed of his humanity in Chapter 24?
6. Comment upon Huck's observation that, in the present situation, "the truth is better, and actuly safer, than a lie."
7. What makes the river a dangerous, as well as an idyllic, place to be?
8. How do readers know that Huck feels deeply for Mary Jane?
9. In what way can the character of Pappy be seen purely as social commentary?
10. How does Twain satirize popular literature in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The real hero of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn' is Jim. Do you believe this to be a fair comment? Give clear reasons expressed in a fluent essay that refers closely to the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the important differences between the characters Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, as presented in the first four chapters of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
For many, the conclusion of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a failure. Why do you think some people hold that view? Do you agree or disagree with it? Write a fluent essay in which you discuss and evaluate the final two chapters of the novel.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)