|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim confide to Huck in Chapter 23?
2. What are yallarboys?
3. Name the figurative language used in "the wind was trying to whisper something to me."
4. Why isn't Lawyer Bell present in Chapter 25?
5. Why is his father annoyed with Huck in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How seriously should readers take the disclaimer "By Order of the Author"?
2. Why does Huck consider moving the money from its hiding-place in Peter Wilks' coffin?
3. Comment on the capacity for fantasy possessed by each main character as seen by Chapter 2 in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
4. In what way does the King act opportunistically for his own ends?
5. Comment on the significance of Huck's practical joke upon Jim.
6. What is the special relevance of the catastrophe related in Chapter 18?
7. What does Chapter 4 show the reader about Huckleberry Finn's character?
8. What makes Huck ashamed of his humanity in Chapter 24?
9. What is significant about the murder of Boggs?
10. In what ways are the scoundrels able to gain favor with the Wilks girls and the townsfolk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the important differences between the characters Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, as presented in the first four chapters of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Romantic imagination can be creative. In the character of Tom Sawyer, it is merely imitative. Discuss with close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 3
Huck's (or the author's) claim that this is a novel without a plot is simply not true. Do you agree? Discuss and evaluate the plot of Huckleberry Finn, making close reference to the text.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)